Captain Marvel (2019)

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Re: the 90's -- Todd McFarlane (Spawn, Spider-Man), Mark Bagley/Tom Lyle (Maximum Carnage), Frank Miller (Watchmen/300), Jim Aparo/Dick Giordano/Adrienne Roy (Knightfall)... just to name a few of the giants from the 90's. It was certainly not a terrible time for comics, and I'd go so far as to say it was the decade that spawned the MCU as most of the folks working on these films are my age, who grew up on 90's comics. Also the reason they're popular, because comics were popular as fuck during the 90's.

But then you have famously bad artists for amazing characters and stories like fuckin Rob Liefeld (Deadpool, the badass Cable story-line) -- so many pockets, terrible proportions, and no feet.

Best artists today? A couple of my favorites: Jim Lee. Todd McFarlane (still). J.Scott Campbell. Ryan Ottley (e.g. below).

View attachment 209496

Don't forget Erik Larsen: I loved his run in ASM

Venom: The Boneyard Hop!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Don't forget Erik Larsen: I loved his run in ASM

Venom: The Boneyard Hop!
Savage Dragon has always been a fun read. Over the top, yet highly enjoyable.

I picked up the very first issue while at Boy Scout summer camp when I was still 11. I remember loving it, and bought every issue until somewhere around 2014. It was a great series. The main series is up to issue 240 or something now.

Actually... if you want to try the series, here's the original mini-series and the first 25 issues. I could probably put up more, but gmail is pretty full since I started using it in 2005. I have to clear some old shit out.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Actually... I was thinking about how many different direction they can go with her character and how unlikable she is...

What if...

She is the villain, she is a Super Skrull, and the real Captain Marvel is a prisoner somewhere, or even better; dead, or even better; is being drained of her powers by Victor Von Doom

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Maybe one of the resident laws can clear it up, but pretty sure he's just describing the actus reus of battery. Battery also needs intent, mens rea. In this case the INTENT to cause harm OR offense. Clearly he didn't mean to harm her, so offense. And since she did it to that nice old man to be friendly, its a pretty hard sell to say a reasonable person should look at such an interaction as him intentionally attempting to offend her.

This guy's "review" of the Mueller letter though pretty much showed he a crack pot. I say it to people all the time--Lawyers are not under any obligation to tell the truth when explaining law except when giving legal advice to a client or acting in some capacity for the court.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If he wasnt a total cuck he would of linked an example or two of someone being charged with battery/assault for merely touching someone or their property to get their attention.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If he wasnt a total cuck he would of linked an example or two of someone being charged with battery/assault for merely touching someone or their property to get their attention.

Watch Judge Judy, it come up at least once a season with a "phone smacked out of the hand" situation where JJ elaborates on that being considered as such.

Vaclav

Maybe one of the resident laws can clear it up, but pretty sure he's just describing the actus reus of battery. Battery also needs intent, mens rea. In this case the INTENT to cause harm OR offense. Clearly he didn't mean to harm her, so offense. And since she did it to that nice old man to be friendly, its a pretty hard sell to say a reasonable person should look at such an interaction as him intentionally attempting to offend her.

As someone who needs to deal with harassment (aka "being offended") laws more than I care to in my line of work, you are correct.

The first example in a HR environment would be an instant firing in most cases if she was offended (which she almost certainly was with the "Hey baby" eyes beforehand) - latter would just be a "Hey, don't touch people's stuff, even if you're being friendly" type scolding at worst.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Watch Judge Judy, it come up at least once a season with a "phone smacked out of the hand" situation where JJ elaborates on that being considered as such.
If what the guy did was something that you would be charged with battery for, just about every single person on a daily basis would be running the risk of a battery charge. Wee bit of a difference between touching someone to get their attention(whether its wanted or not) and malicious touching.

Vaclav

If what the guy did was something that you would be charged with battery for, just about every single person on a daily basis would be running the risk of a battery charge. Wee bit of a difference between touching someone to get their attention(whether its wanted or not) and malicious touching.

Correct, but he led in with something that she could have taken as it being an escalation towards sexual harassment - in a vacuum you'd be correct, but the "Hey baby" look beforehand makes it further into gray rather than normal black and white.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Legal definitions of assault and battery dont really matter. Almost everyone in the videos criticizing Marvel did so because she was not behaving like a typical hero. Instead she was full on cunt on fire villain in that scene. Also IANAL but i am pretty sure proportional force is a thing as well. She has super powers and is at no point in any danger from the dipshit on the bike yet she uses her powers to crush his hand and rob him for whats in essence just being rude remark. Not only that , she also did it with absolute glee.

Imagine Superman in the same scene. Some bimbo touches his cape and asks for a smile and he proceeds with a backhand and steals her purse afterward. Would anyone call that being a hero? People would be losing their minds and there would be special ribons people would wear if the roles were reversed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
b/c a woman wrote that scene, only a woman could believe that if they were slighted in any way, they now have carte blanche to wreck your shit and take whatever they want.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Correct, but he led in with something that she could have taken as it being an escalation towards sexual harassment - in a vacuum you'd be correct, but the "Hey baby" look beforehand makes it further into gray rather than normal black and white.
The only possible scenario where someone gets charged with battery under those conditions is if its due to the book being thrown in connection to some other crime. No way in any jurisdiction does that merit a battery charge.

Captain Marvel wasnt assaulted. Shes just a cunt who reacted violenty over some guy being obnoxious.

• 4Like

Muurloen

Also the scene is a rip off from t2 which makes me hate her even more.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They rip off the scene that leads us the audience to believe that Arnie is a villain. Because it's villain behavior. Only a stupid whore would rip off that scene and think anything else.

• 4Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

No, it's not even the slightest shade of gray.

Thinking laws that govern workplaces as having any relevancy here is stupid.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Savage Dragon has always been a fun read. Over the top, yet highly enjoyable.

I picked up the very first issue while at Boy Scout summer camp when I was still 11. I remember loving it, and bought every issue until somewhere around 2014. It was a great series. The main series is up to issue 240 or something now.

Actually... if you want to try the series, here's the original mini-series and the first 25 issues. I could probably put up more, but gmail is pretty full since I started using it in 2005. I have to clear some old shit out.
I cleared up quite a bit of space in my gmail account. I'm now able to give out issues 1-100 of Savage Dragon. Enjoy the reading.

• 1Like

Vaclav

The only possible scenario where someone gets charged with battery under those conditions is if its due to the book being thrown in connection to some other crime. No way in any jurisdiction does that merit a battery charge.

Captain Marvel wasnt assaulted. Shes just a cunt who reacted violenty over some guy being obnoxious.
No, it's not even the slightest shade of gray.

Thinking laws that govern workplaces as having any relevancy here is stupid.

You're both assuming I'm saying he would get charged and would lose. I'm not saying that. Just that there's enough for it to be investigated if she complained. (Which as you said, BP, if it unearthed more or there was other complaints, could trigger something serious)

Thus why I stated it was grey.

And literally the RULES we have are founded upon the LAWS that apply in the normal world as a whole, Ambi. Yes, a stricter standard - but they're based on the same foundation.