Captain Marvel (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There were female "agents" but they were spies not embedded with an army unit in a command position? It's not a huge leap for a secret project, there were lots of women working on Enigma for example or as secretaries, which is what she's probably modelled off.
Russia had some kickass women pilots killing nazis.
lead_720_405.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There were female "agents" but they were spies not embedded with an army unit in a command position? It's not a huge leap for a secret project, there were lots of women working on Enigma for example or as secretaries, which is what she's probably modelled off.

Do you have a point, or are you just nitpicking my statement about there being no need to nitpick?

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i love carol danvers... i'm having a real hard time buying brie larson as anything other than rey levels of mary sue. the way she acts in every scene we've seen her in, it's like she knows she's so powerful that there's no chance she'll ever lose. those scenes better all be in the beginning, followed by her eating some serious humble pie or else her story isn't going to be engaging at all.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
i love carol danvers... i'm having a real hard time buying brie larson as anything other than rey levels of mary sue. the way she acts in every scene we've seen her in, it's like she knows she's so powerful that there's no chance she'll ever lose. those scenes better all be in the beginning, followed by her eating some serious humble pie or else her story isn't going to be engaging at all.

She's gonna be shown as powerful by the end of the movie, no doubt. She's going to be lead Avenger for Phase 4.

j00t

She's gonna be shown as powerful by the end of the movie, no doubt. She's going to be lead Avenger for Phase 4.

yeah, i'm aware of that. in theory i don't have a problem with it. what i have a problem with is brie larson having such a blase attitude about it. her social media is basically saying that she has no reason to be worried about going up against thanos.

we've just spend 10 years watching heroes get torn apart but still stand up against thanos, an unwinnable battle. then brie larson comes around and if there's even the implication that she just overpowers thanos, she'll be an incredibly boring character. hence, she needs to eat some humble pie at some point in the movie. if it's not an uphill battle, it's not heroic.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Thor pretty much overpowered and killed Thanos at the end of Infinity War.

If she comes in like Superman in Justice League where she just bitch slaps Thanos around while mocking him then that would be dumb, but I give marvel writers more credit than that

Fadaar

That guy
I have faith in Feige & co to do it right, I'm just worried that this might be the time that the stupid finally creeps in to the MCU at a high level

j00t

thor had half a movie devoted to him pulling that off after it started with him getting the piss kicked out of him resulting in him floating in space and being left for dead.

i'm cautiously optimistic, as marvel has done wonders to earn my respect in that regard, however this is all kevin feige's brain child and he didn't want to do a captain marvel movie. so the question is how much of this is kevin fiege and how much of this is disney?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Tickets are already on sale for this. I wasn't really prepared for them to be out 2 months early.

Got my IMAX tickets ready to go, every Marvel movie is a Thursday night IMAX for me until they pull several Black Panther's in a row.

• 1EyeRoll

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I searched for tickets a few minutes ago. They don't have any 3D available in my area (yet). I'll have to keep checking. For the latest movies, they've been doing 2D IMAX @ 7pm, then 3D IMAX @ 10pm. Right now they have 2D IMAX scheduled for both 7 & 10pm.

The non-Regal theater has a "Fan Appreciation" showing at 6pm for $25. I don't want to buy it for fear they're going to make that into a 3D showing, and that theater isn't very good at 3D. They use the battery powered glasses, and they reduce the color a lot more than standard passive 3D.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I searched for tickets a few minutes ago. They don't have any 3D available in my area (yet). I'll have to keep checking. For the latest movies, they've been doing 2D IMAX @ 7pm, then 3D IMAX @ 10pm. Right now they have 2D IMAX scheduled for both 7 & 10pm.

The non-Regal theater has a "Fan Appreciation" showing at 6pm for $25. I don't want to buy it for fear they're going to make that into a 3D showing, and that theater isn't very good at 3D. They use the battery powered glasses, and they reduce the color a lot more than standard passive 3D.
Has Regal/AMC LieMAX gotten any quality upgrades or is it still worse than 4K theaters?

edit: Nvm found the resource listing and an overwhelming amount are still the bad Xenon projectors rather than 70mm or Laser
(If the theater is only a D type rather than 70 or DL you are not getting your money's worth): US Theaters - IMAX Quality differences

Last edited:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

They do the same thing here. Even if I preferred 3D, which I don't, we're stuck with the 7pm showing because my coworkers are pussies and won't stay up for a 10pm showing.

I'm ready for 3D to disappear into nostalgia. It has gotten way, way better than it used to be, but I don't ever feel like I missed anything if I only see 2D. I'm sure I'd notice something cool if I saw both, but I'm ready for it to not even be an option.

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm ready for Ready Player One's VR style movies to be a reality. Every audience member has a unique experience because your personal screen moves with your head.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I have faith in Feige & co to do it right, I'm just worried that this might be the time that the stupid finally creeps in to the MCU at a high level
Kevin Feige Affirms Marvel Studio’s Focus On Diversity
Phase Three is the most obvious example of this, as the blockbusters began featuring more people of color, women, and possibly even an LGBT character. Plus, those projects like Black Panther and Ant-Man and The Wasp have proven extremely successful with audiences. Marvel Studio head Kevin Feige recently spoke to the focus on telling inclusive stories in the future, saying:

[Black Panther] is the beginning. That it worked out as well as it worked out has encouraged us to head in the direction we were going to head in anyway. But you look at that film, it is incredible. That movie would not have been what it was if everyone sitting at the table looked like you or me. And that is true for all the movies. As Marvel Studios has grown, it is the same thing, almost half-man and half-woman. That may become more women in the coming years based on the newest team members who continue to grow. We try to grow and promote in house. Almost everyone who has worked here for many years. And people who are going to produce some of our next films came in below the people producing the films now. I very much believe in that. When you have diverse voices, you get better stories and you get more exciting stories, you get more surprising stories. And that is something that is very clear.​

• 4Barf
  • 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 7 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Kevin Feige Affirms Marvel Studio’s Focus On Diversity
Phase Three is the most obvious example of this, as the blockbusters began featuring more people of color, women, and possibly even an LGBT character. Plus, those projects like Black Panther and Ant-Man and The Wasp have proven extremely successful with audiences. Marvel Studio head Kevin Feige recently spoke to the focus on telling inclusive stories in the future, saying:

[Black Panther] is the beginning. That it worked out as well as it worked out has encouraged us to head in the direction we were going to head in anyway. But you look at that film, it is incredible. That movie would not have been what it was if everyone sitting at the table looked like you or me. And that is true for all the movies. As Marvel Studios has grown, it is the same thing, almost half-man and half-woman. That may become more women in the coming years based on the newest team members who continue to grow. We try to grow and promote in house. Almost everyone who has worked here for many years. And people who are going to produce some of our next films came in below the people producing the films now. I very much believe in that. When you have diverse voices, you get better stories and you get more exciting stories, you get more surprising stories. And that is something that is very clear.​
So in Feige I trust but no matter what, one immutable law of the universe holds true: "Get woke, go broke." Once the identity/gender politics becomes more important than the stories and characters, it will all come tumbling down. They just have to keep the right balance. Feige is a good business man and knows how to balance this, I think. I also think he realizes they have to keep the formula fresh, and that requires new stories and new audiences, some niche, to keep producing 3+ movies a year.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Step 1: Make something good.

As long as they don't forget that or have a coup to replace it with "PRIORITY ONE: PROPAGANDA AND PANDERING!" then it might not immediately hit an iceberg.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users