Captain Marvel (2019)

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So I know very little about this movie. how did they ruin the character? What makes the plot so terrible? Is Captain Marvel a terrible Mary Sue POS?

The movie content at this point is almost irrelevant. Brie is pulling a full blown anti man feminist SJW pre-release campaign. Just torrent it.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
A good movie is a good movie. The lead can be male or female and there are plenty of examples for both. They are promoting the movie all wrong though. They should be hyping the action, the impact it will have on the MCU, the implications going into the next Avengers etc. Instead they are focusing on the empowerment of women, trying to force this movie to be a symbol for women.

If the movie is good, people will naturally see Captain Marvel as an inspiring character. As someone they can look up to. But you need people to come to this conclusion naturally. You can't force it. If a quarterback is selected first overall, you can hype that quarterback. You can expect great things, and hope to see them play some good Football games. But you can't go around calling them the greatest player of all time, someone who will be an inspiration to all future quarterbacks, someone who will change the game forever. I mean, you technically can say these things, but no one will take you seriously. They have to go out there and prove that this is the case.

It's kind of amazing to me that they could even screw up the marketing for a movie like this. The MCU is perfectly designed to bring in a female superhero and turn them into a star. This franchise is so successful they can do almost anything. Almost anything. Shitting on the very fanbase you depend on to make this hero popular is not one of their options, however.

Honestly if they had done 0 marketing for this film I probably would have gone to see it so I knew what as happening when I go so the next Avengers movie. But now I've lost any interest. I'm sure I can read a summary of the movie before seeing the next Avengers and figure out what is going on.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Characters who are basically born gods aren't very compelling.

That's not a problem unless you are Brie Larson and think this is breaking bad.

Last edited:

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
So I know very little about this movie. how did they ruin the character? What makes the plot so terrible? Is Captain Marvel a terrible Mary Sue POS?
the character wasnt ruined, it was never established, never, if she's a thanos-killer then why did NF wait til half the Universe was genocided? where was she that NF could just ring her up on a cellphone? Larson's publicity tour for this movie has been her activism as CM against the patriarchy and that white males need not apply.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Why? I can't and it in no way invalidates my point, since I was commenting on why it's so male biased.

Movies tend to play it safer, there's way more good female leads in gaming and I could probably do 10 for that. As long as it's possible my point stands.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
The movie content at this point is almost irrelevant. Brie is pulling a full blown anti man feminist SJW pre-release campaign. Just torrent it.

This is pretty much how I feel. Each interview is turning me off to wanting to see this. All I care about right now is End Game then I can walk away from Marvel.

• 2Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ripley in Aliens
Holly Hunter in Always
Geena Davis in League Of Their Own
Jackie Brown
Joy in Inside Out
Clarice Starling in Silence Of The Lambs
chick in La Femme Nikita
Rachel Weisz in The Mummy
Furiosa in MMFR
Sarah Connor in T2:Judgement Day

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Ripley in Aliens
Holly Hunter in Always
Jackie Brown
Joy in Inside Out
chick in La Femme Nikita
Furiosa in MMFR

Also

Lindsey Brigman in The Abyss
Hanna in Hanna
Chihiro in Spirited Away
Hillary Swank in Million Dollar Baby
Ree in Winters Bone
Frances McDormand in Fargo
Zoe in Firefly
x-23 in Logan
Leeloo in Fifth Element
Kate Beckensale in Underworld

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Also

Hanna in Hanna
Chihiro in Spirited Away
Ree in Winters Bone
Zoe in Firefly
x-23 in Logan
Leeloo in Fifth Element
definitely Leeloo in 5E and Kate in Underworld, but i tried to keep it to non god tier powered characters. Frances McD in Fargo was a good one.

Fadaar

That guy
Disney/Marvel can afford one bomb, but an actor/actress being the sole cause of said bomb will have much harsher repercussions for them than the studio. If this movie ends up massively underperforming, expect her to be muzzled heavily in the future at best for her, or written out/recast at worst.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Disney/Marvel can afford one bomb, but an actor/actress being the sole cause of said bomb will have much harsher repercussions for them than the studio. If this movie ends up massively underperforming, expect her to be muzzled heavily in the future at best for her, or written out/recast at worst.
wouldnt be the first time, remember Ed Norton as The Hulk?

• 3Like

Fadaar

That guy
wouldnt be the first time, remember Ed Norton as The Hulk?

Or Terence Howard getting a big head? ;) He didn't even hurt the movie at all financially, just being a diva when it came to money when he played a small supporting role and they kicked his ass to the curb.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Or Terence Howard getting a big head? ;) He didn't even hurt the movie at all financially, just being a diva when it came to money when he played a small supporting role and they kicked his ass to the curb.
lol, yeah for some reason Iron man would never be the same without his interpretation of Rhodey. its ok, he got back at them, he's a big deal in Empire!

• 3Worf

Fadaar

That guy
I like Don Cheadle a LOT better in the role but god is he an insufferable douchebag

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
In regard to Endgame and why they didn't build her up beforehand, I honestly don't think that Captain Marvel is going to just waltz in and EZmode Thanos. They have so many characters that need to "pay off" their years of investment, that just throwing it all away for "Gurl Power" would not only piss a lot of people off, but it would be pretty disingenuous. On top of all that, I'm pretty sure they had most of both Avengers movies written long before Captain Marvel was truly fleshed out, so they probably didn't have a ton to go off of. Much like Black Panther coming out right before Infinity War, they knew they had Wakanda and BP to use, but it was more of a convenient setting than a macguffin. Clearly they want to feature CM to an extent because "she's the future!!!1!" but they've got the core Avengers to do justice to. That alone will take up most of the movie. Tony Stark and Captain America, in particular, are going to get their swan songs during this movie. They aren't going to fuck that up by making it all about Cunty Marvel.

This movie by itself, sure, that might be insufferable. But I'm not worried about Endgame one bit.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Ripley in Aliens
Holly Hunter in Always
Jackie Brown
Joy in Inside Out
chick in La Femme Nikita
Furiosa in MMFR

I said compelling female hero characters. Not every female protagonist in a movie you liked.

• 7Picard
  • 4EyeRoll
  • 2Like
Reactions: 13 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Charlie had a pretty good theory about Captain Marvel. He thinks they are going to link her powers to the Tesseract. They recently retconned some of Scarlet Witch's backstory in that she already had powers but it was being manipulated by the Mind Stone that brought them forth and enhanced them. This goes into the fact that Danvers is part of Project Pegasus and that she gets her powers awoken/enhanced by the Space Stone in her accident.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Also

Hanna in Hanna
Chihiro in Spirited Away
Ree in Winters Bone
Zoe in Firefly
x-23 in Logan
Leeloo in Fifth Element
Cant believe no one mentioned Rita (Emily Blunt) in Edge of tomorrow, she may have not been the main hero but she was a hero who was believable and kicked ass or Alice in Resident Evil or even Trinity in the Matrix.

• 3Like