Captain Marvel (2019)

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Not politicizing hobbies/entertainment is literally harmful according to a growing number of people pushing for these sorts of things. They feel that creating something that doesn't directly adhere to their causes means you are endorsing it and therefor are an enemy.

Why are you such a russian bot?

Its interesting how these people don't complain about politics interfering until the people consuming it have a reaction, isn't it? Always amazing to see that. Marvel is on record saying this is a feminist movie, and Brie spouts the social justice manifesto at every turn, but someone says "Gosh, I don't want to reward politics in films, so I won't see it"--and THAT person is the one responsible for allowing politics to interfere. People like Vandyn Vandyn and Mudcrush Durtfeet Mudcrush Durtfeet and Cybsled Cybsled will ignore direct, overt use of media being politicized, but speak out when people react to said media, as if they are the problem. Look at this thread. How many fucking political issues have to be shoved into media before we're allowed to say something? How far into propaganda territory do we have to wade before its "okay" to say no?

• 6Solidarity
  • 5Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 11 users

Gask

Silver Baron of the Realm
I used to be all for giving actors a pass when they said something stupid or joined up with Scientology or whatever; if you don't like it you don't have to listen to them. But that isn't an option for me anymore because they and people like them refuse to extend that same courtesy to other people these days. These actors, activists and politicians are supporting a social movement that's ruining peoples lives just for having different political opinions or for stating simple facts that go against whatever crusade they support. But when they get caught out on their bs hate mongering nothing much is done if at all.

The double standard is appalling and anyone who can't see it at this point is being willfully ignorant.

• 9Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 9 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Its interesting how these people don't complain about politics interfering until the people consuming it have a reaction, isn't it? Always amazing to see that. Marvel is on record saying this is a feminist movie, and Brie spouts the social justice manifesto at every turn, but someone says "Gosh, I don't want to reward politics in films, so I won't see it"--and THAT person is the one responsible for allowing politics to interfere. People like Vandyn Vandyn and Mudcrush Durtfeet Mudcrush Durtfeet and Cybsled Cybsled will ignore direct, overt use of media being politicized, but speak out when people react to said media, as if they are the problem. Look at this thread. How many fucking political issues have to be shoved into media before we're allowed to say something? How far into propaganda territory do we have to wade before its "okay" to say no?

It's a mentality that I've seen crop up over the past decade bit by bit. People are incredibly adverse to anything that rocks the boat that isn't some sort of "feel good" movement. Diversity? Equality? Those are pleasant words, and so they're ok. Unhappy? Censorship? Merit? Those are harsh words, and so they're scary. My guess is they yank them out of their safe comfort zone and they react as any creature does to threatening things. Think about how many times you've seen someone being called a whiner or a baby if they criticize a game or movie or whatever that isn't a part of the normal groupthink. It's rocking the boat and making the reader need to think about their own views on the subject. Scary! Hip-fire assumption is that everyone is so doped up on an easy life that anything that cuts through the buzz is like a baby being yanked away from the tit.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Szlia

I'm neither here nor there on the casting. The best part of Harvey Weinstein being thrown out of Hollywood is that Jennifer Lawrence can longer suck her way into roles like this.
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news (well... bad news for you), but Jennifer Lawrence never worked in a Miramax picture.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
say what you want about tom cruise being a scientology nutcase. none of his movies are pushing that shit on me, he just wants to entertain you with his suicide attempts. none of us should be having a discussion about politics in a superhero thread. these hollywood fucks injectd it into the marketing and are butthurt it didnt go their way. stop being assholes and just give us a fucking movie to enjoy and go REEEEE on your own time.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It was only like 6 years or so ago that a celebrity/sports figure getting onto twitter or other social media was something to take note of, so you never really heard much from them outside of contractually mandated interviews or "I'm still relevant!" interviews. Cue social media blowing up and every single one of them needed to be in on it and giving people a reason to be listening to them. I'm sure PR firms/agents play a big part in it too. So, now you have a bunch of vapid, privileged, easy swayed morons with millions of followers listening to what they say. Whether it's the stupidity coming through or the "rile them up for some press attention" efforts, it's all just inane bullshit that has way too much influence. It's less about selling the product they're working on than it is selling their celebrity identity.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
jv3ibg1aixi21.jpg

• 4Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 7 users

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
gg RT, didn't expect less from those asslickers.
Didn't they disable the scores for one of the SW movies (The Lame Joke?) when early 'unfavorable' reviews started coming in, under the excuse of having a launch party or some shit like that?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It was only like 6 years or so ago that a celebrity/sports figure getting onto twitter or other social media was something to take note of, so you never really heard much from them outside of contractually mandated interviews or "I'm still relevant!" interviews. Cue social media blowing up and every single one of them needed to be in on it and giving people a reason to be listening to them. I'm sure PR firms/agents play a big part in it too. So, now you have a bunch of vapid, privileged, easy swayed morons with millions of followers listening to what they say. Whether it's the stupidity coming through or the "rile them up for some press attention" efforts, it's all just inane bullshit that has way too much influence. It's less about selling the product they're working on than it is selling their celebrity identity.
back in the 80s and 90s, there was some activism virtue signalling, you would watch the local news or entertainment tonight and there would be a blurb about this celebrity was arrested in a protest for some save the whales shit. or ed begley tooling around in an electric car because he is better than the rest of the world. the rest was an enigma, it was left to your imagination. even on talkshows. the hosts tried to steer the conversation to middle of the road stuff. they never dedicated their entire show and guests to one political narrative. thats crazy to think that would ever happen.

look at poor Tom Selleck trying to give an interview about his movie which is why he showed up at all and get completely ambushed.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I used to be all for giving actors a pass when they said something stupid or joined up with Scientology or whatever; if you don't like it you don't have to listen to them. But that isn't an option for me anymore because they and people like them refuse to extend that same courtesy to other people these days. These actors, activists and politicians are supporting a social movement that's ruining peoples lives just for having different political opinions or for stating simple facts that go against whatever crusade they support. But when they get caught out on their bs hate mongering nothing much is done if at all.

The double standard is appalling and anyone who can't see it at this point is being willfully ignorant.

Yep. The moment people began being tossed off paypal or banks refused service due to people's political opinions was the moment this "live and let live" view died, or should have. When you see actors and actresses using their massive platforms to call for the black listing and even violence against Catholic school boys because he dared be white and male in front of native American and you still let this shit slide as if its not a fucking problem? I don't know what to say. I have zero respect for that view in this environment.

When you convince Hollywood actresses not to lead lynch mobs, we can talk about ignoring this issue.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 9 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
back in the 80s and 90s, there was some activism virtue signalling, you would watch the local news or entertainment tonight and there would be a blurb about this celebrity was arrested in a protest for some save the whales shit. or ed begley tooling around in an electric car because he is better than the rest of the world. the rest was an enigma, it was left to your imagination. even on talkshows. the hosts tried to steer the conversation to middle of the road stuff. they never dedicated their entire show and guests to one political narrative. thats crazy to think that would ever happen.

look at poor Tom Selleck trying to give an interview about his movie which is why he showed up at all and get completely ambushed.

The difference is, back then people had the balls to NOT tolerate this. Rosie lost her show over this, and was pretty much despised for being a hateful bitch. And guess what? This virulent ideology was kept in check, just strong enough to sometimes attack people who needed to be attacked but not strong enough to be a cult.

That's why I constantly say, the real problem is the people who feel cowed not only to NOT take action but to try and shout down those who do.

• 5Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think it's weird as fuck they're lumping in people attacking this and Episode IX with reviews in the same group. The track history for Marvel movies versus Last Jedi is night and day.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

You can say whatever you want. You can vote with your wallet however you want. All I'm saying is most don't know or don't care (or both) what Brie Larson says because who the hell is Brie Larson and why should they care what a celebrity's opinion is on anything really. They just want to watch a movie for 2 hours and go home. Does that make them dumb or ignorant because they choose to spend their money on what they want which is different that what you would do?

• 3Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I think it's weird as fuck they're lumping in people attacking this and Episode IX with reviews in the same group. The track history for Marvel movies versus Last Jedi is night and day.
Yeah the worst MCU movies are at least not terrible. Like Thor2 and IM2 aren't terrible movies, they're just the worst MCU movies because something has to be.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah the worst MCU movies are at least not terrible. Like Thor2 and IM2 aren't terrible movies, they're just the worst MCU movies because something has to be.

I rate IM3 below IM2, to be honest.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Oh. Captain Marvel's super power is hurting butts. NOW I see why she's a top tier super hero!

• 2Picard
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Worf

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Oh. Captain Marvel's super power is hurting butts. NOW I see why she's a top tier super hero!

I guess being able to peg you does ratchetet her up a few notches in your book. I'll pass though, I guess I'm one of those insecure males that still doesn't like getting fucked in the ass.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
You can say whatever you want. You can vote with your wallet however you want. All I'm saying is most don't know or don't care (or both) what Brie Larson says because who the hell is Brie Larson and why should they care what a celebrity's opinion is on anything really. They just want to watch a movie for 2 hours and go home. Does that make them dumb or ignorant because they choose to spend their money on what they want which is different that what you would do?

It depends, are they here trying to shame people out of speaking out? Then yes, they are both dumb and ignorant, and I'd wager giant hypocrites too. The day these people began using their power to black list, and ruin the lives of others is the day the day it became completely irrational to simply say 'who cares'. Now, if you're that apathetic that you want zero part of politics? Fine. But if someone felt that way, they wouldn't be speaking to the people reacting to the political speech, right?

You see, by engaging, its hypocrisy to say you want to simply be left out of it. If you want to be left alone so badly that you want to ignore what Brie is saying, you should be able to ignore what people here are saying too. Why do you treat these two sides differently? Just enjoy the thread and movie and ignore this, it will pass in a day or two--no big deal. But if someone cares enough to mock people here, but not enough to even say they are offended by this? Well, its clear what they believe in at that point, right? Where is my logic flawed here?

Last edited:
  • 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users