Captain Marvel (2019)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I get the impression it couldn't matter less what characters Marvel chooses to spotlight in their movies. They're movies made more for fans of big, fun spectacle than for comic fans familiar with the source material. Most people who saw Black Panther and GOTG had no idea who these characters were beyond maybe being vaguely aware they existed and were comic characters. More important than the choice of characters is how well they're written and how much fun the movie ends up being for a wide audience.

on one hand, yeah they are making formulaic popcorn movies. on the other hand, a huge reason why i trust them to make enjoyable films is due to how much respect they show the source material. captain america the first avenger wasn't a GREAT film, buy they definitely demonstrated that they implicitly understood what makes steve rogers captain america. same with ironman, thor, hulk... it's what has been consistently frustrating with DC in that even wonder woman, one of their best movies, still didn't actually seem to understand the nuances that make diana the hero that people identify with.

people didn't really know guardians of the galaxy (though, the ones that did know them, enjoyed them for the most part) and there was a lot of doubt that marvel would pull it off, but they handled the characters with care and it showed. we'll see if they continue that

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I think they rushed up Captain Marvel when they saw Wonder Woman and how successful it was. Marvel got cought off guard there and they felt that they had to get something out ASAP.

They might also wanted to lock the name Captain Marvel before Shazam gets out and DC starts using it.
It feels rushed and like they pushed really hard to push her into the big timeline.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Xarpolis, Haus, and Puniehop confirmed gender traitors who must carry a Brianna Wu in Captain Marvel uniform avatar for the next three months.

Make it happen Amod Amod .

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I think they rushed up Captain Marvel when they saw Wonder Woman and how successful it was. Marvel got cought off guard there and they felt that they had to get something out ASAP.

according to Wikipedia, Captain Marvel was originally announced for a July 2018 release, way back in October of 2014. was originally supposed to be "Ms. Marvel" so things have changed a bit, but they planned on making this movie quite awhile ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I can't recall the last time an actor in a movie literally made me not want to see it, especially pay for it.

• 5Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I can't recall the last time an actor in a movie literally made me not want to see it, especially pay for it.
there are movie franchises i wont bother with because they replaced an actor in a sequel with a_random_actor324 , though its not always specifically the actor thats terrible, just the move the studio made byputting them in that role.

j00t

there are movie franchises i wont bother with because they replaced an actor in a sequel with a_random_actor324 , though its not always specifically the actor thats terrible, just the move the studio made byputting them in that role.

off topic but this was so difficult to get past in spartacus. naevia and spartacus changing actors was so frustrating, especially because i knew WHY they replaced them. like i don't begrudge what's his face for taking over for andy whitfield... it was just so bittersweet... emphasis on the bitter

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean they replaced Howard with Cheadle. I actually think I preferred the Howard version better too even though I think Cheadle is better in general. Although obviously while that character is important he isn't the lead in any of the films.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
off topic but this was so difficult to get past in spartacus. naevia and spartacus changing actors was so frustrating, especially because i knew WHY they replaced them. like i don't begrudge what's his face for taking over for andy whitfield... it was just so bittersweet... emphasis on the bitter
i got mad because Lost flat out removed Michelle Rodriguez and that other chick from the show due to a DUI, but at least they didnt replace them with a doppelganger. doppelgangers are the worst. though the one exception was Michael Gambon in the Harry Potter series but it took me a while to accept him. the "Burton Batman" series is by far the most egregious.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I mean they replaced Howard with Cheadle. I actually think I preferred the Howard version better too even though I think Cheadle is better in general. Although obviously while that character is important he isn't the lead in any of the films.
Yeah I preferred Howard as well, probaly for different reasons. I don't quite know how to put it, Cheadle always seems tense and forced, while Howard always seemed more relaxed in his role, its the body language for me. Which is weird since I don't have an issue with Cheadle in anything else, just this role.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah I preferred Howard as well, probaly for different reasons. I don't quite know how to put it, Cheadle always seems tense and forced, while Howard always seemed more relaxed in his role, its the body language for me. Which is weird since I don't have an issue with Cheadle in anything else, just this role.
thats pretty funny considering how well he kept his shit together in Hotel Rwanda. dude was driving on a road of corpses and he wasnt traumatized by it.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
He's a great actor otherwise, honestly not shitting on him. Just something is off for me with him as War Machine.

• 2Like

Sevens

Log Wizard

They might also wanted to lock the name Captain Marvel before Shazam gets out and DC starts using it.
It feels rushed and like they pushed really hard to push her into the big timeline.

DC can't use the name Captain Marvel....Marvel owns it

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He's a great actor otherwise, honestly not shitting on him. Just something is off for me with him as War Machine.
cuz it looks like he's too busy fighting AIDS
InfinityWar5aa99f10227d9-2.jpg

rather than fighting galactic super villians.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
cuz it looks like he's too busy fighting AIDS
InfinityWar5aa99f10227d9-2.jpg

rather than fighting galactic super villians.
That's just getting old, black does crack sometimes. He looks like I feel, umm in a lighter shade of course.

• 2Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
I think Cheadle is a superior actor to Howard overall. I just think Howard fits the role better.

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
They should have gotten someone to be a counter balance to RDJ. Like Eddie Murphy! Better yet, Eddie Murphy playing The Nutty professor playing War Machine.

1.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

it's weird but i liked howard better as well. in retrospect i'm happy with cheadle, but i think howard carried himself... more... better...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I've always hated Howard as an actor (and lately as a person). I don't know what it is, but it is something about his delivery that comes across as fake to me. I didn't like him in the first Iron Man, even before I found out they were replacing him.

I think Cheadle is fine in the role.

• 2Like

j00t

yeah it's bizarre, i don't like him at all in anything. i haven't watched ironman in FOREVER so maybe now that i'm so accustomed to cheadle i'll hate howard in that too