Captain Marvel (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
thats an obvious call (for comic nerds) to
detail-72-annihilus.jpg

but he should be part of the Fantastic four (you see first appearance, its why i linked the card).

oblig
stan.gif
Thanks for reminding me that my x-men card of that set has been missing for years.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

IOOTI guys, you're making a big deal out of nothing!!!

I wonder how the IOOTI brigade in this forum would feel if any white person said there are too many blacks and women on my press tour. Indoctrination to accept self loathing is an amazing thing, isn't it?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
At what point would Disney step in and muzzle her for potentially affecting their profits on this movie?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
At what point would Disney step in and muzzle her for potentially affecting their profits on this movie?
Unfortunately, they probably won't, because they are probably seeing another Black Panther in the making. It won't happen that way, because unless it is Titanic women usually don't see movies over and over like Wakandans did with Black Panther, but they might be thinking along those lines.

I'm purposely not watching as much of her opening her yap as I can, because I don't want to get too annoyed before I see it. My prediction is that it will have a bit of "gurl power" in it, along the lines of the "colonizers" and barking at white people in BP, but outside of that it won't be too terribly virtue-signalling. People like us will have plenty to complain about, but the average person won't notice too much. I think anyway. I hope, actually, because I can deal with a little bit of wokeness if the rest of the movie is at least good.

I honestly think it won't even get too bad in the coming years, because guys like Feige have to know that BP was a lucky cultural phenomenon, and that in no way will translate over to their other properties if they get heavy-handed with it. I mean, Disney is obviously capable of stupid shit (a la The Last Jedi) and stepping on their own dick, but I think the people guiding the Marvel helm know what got them to this point. I hope, at least.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Welp, her cuntiness has made this movie a pass from me and possibly the avengers wrap up.

• 6Like
  • 3Salty
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 10 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I honestly think it won't even get too bad in the coming years, because guys like Feige have to know that BP was a lucky cultural phenomenon, and that in no way will translate over to their other properties if they get heavy-handed with it. I mean, Disney is obviously capable of stupid shit (a la The Last Jedi) and stepping on their own dick, but I think the people guiding the Marvel helm know what got them to this point. I hope, at least.

Everything Feige has said over the past year or so, basically since BP, indicates counter to this. I'm expecting a good-paced decline into wokeness for Phase 4.

I also will accept being pleasantly surprised that I'm not correct. Time will tell.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Maul

Dental Dammer
View attachment 194333

Where's my real nerd medal at mods?

On topic: Am I worried that the MCU will succumb to the culture war? Absolutely. Do I think Captain Marvel is the start of this? No.

I understand everyone's trepidation but I'm also confident that this movie is going to be totally fine and not be the film that walks down that woke n broke path. In fact, I'll do an avatar bet with anyone that thinks it will be to stress my confidence in the MCU delivering goodness yet again. That's NOT to say I'm willing to avatar bet that A) the film is GREAT (it'll just be good) or B) that Brie Larson is going to be a good leading lady... just that the overly feminist or culture war-esque narratives and tropes that people are worried about will not be attached to this film. I think all that crap is coming after phase 3 (which is still ongoing).

edit - phase 3, not 4! Oops.
Black female pilot says you're wrong already and that's just the trailer.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
'Captain Marvel's' Brie Larson Can't Save Womankind — But She's Doing Her Best

In the summer of 2017, after she had been cast but before Marvel began shooting, Larson went to see another superhero movie, DC's Wonder Woman, in the theater and found herself sobbing. "As a kid, I wanted to be an adventurer," Larson says. "I wanted to be a smart-ass. I wanted to get my hands dirty. But it wasn't until being in the theater seeing Wonder Woman ... I was like, 'Why is this making me cry so much?' I realized 'cause I hadn't had that, and there was a kid in me that was like, 'Oh, my God. I can do that?'

In the fall of 2017, in the weeks after the first Harvey Weinstein stories broke, Larson and her female acting peers began texting one another and having conversations about workplace concerns, from issues like pay equity to how to deal with the discomfort of a sound man reaching inside your bra to pin a microphone. When it comes to pay, Larson seems to be doing OK — she'll make $5 million for playing Captain Marvel in this film as part of a deal that bests what Robert Downey Jr. made for his first outing as Iron Man ($500,000) and Chadwick Boseman for his first as Black Panther ($2 million). As for the microphone issue, she says she now mics herself in her trailer and advises her female friends on sets to do the same.

Larson's preparation for the stunt-heavy role included an intensive, four-hour daily gym routine with trainer Jason Walsh that eventually saw the 5-foot-7 actress dead-lifting 225 pounds, hip-thrusting 400 pounds and pushing Walsh's Jeep up a hill. There were days when the intensity of the training reduced her to tears and days when she got irritated by men at Walsh's West Hollywood gym who doubted her strength. "This guy watched me lift something really heavy, and he went, 'Wow, I can't even lift that!' As if he were the epitome of health," Larson says. "I said, 'Yeah, I guess you're going to have to rethink your gender norms.' "

Captain Marvel may be extremely powerful, but she would have to be lift that enormous chip on her shoulder. I think Feige is smart enough to course correct but
if this is the future of the MCU, its been a great 10 years. "Get Woke" Phase 1 complete.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
'Captain Marvel's' Brie Larson Can't Save Womankind — But She's Doing Her Best

Captain Marvel may be extremely powerful, but she would have to be lift that enormous chip on her shoulder. I think Feige is smart enough to course correct but
if this is the future of the MCU, its been a great 10 years. "Get Woke" Phase 1 complete.
i would say, Disney must really be smacking their heads right now, but this has been the norm for the entire Marvel franchise. all of these people are rabid american hating cocksuckers.

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
"As a kid, I wanted to be an adventurer," Larson says. "I wanted to be a smart-ass. I wanted to get my hands dirty. But it wasn't until being in the theater seeing Wonder Woman ... I was like, 'Why is this making me cry so much?' I realized 'cause I hadn't had that,

This annoys the shit out of me. There was no shortage of women characters that could inspire young girls but the average public didn't know about them because nobody wanted to fucking watch them or pay attention to them. You had to *gasp* put some effort in finding your inspirations like the rest of us.

Normie girl gets shoved into nerd culture and then cries about how there was no role models for her out in normie-land and tries to shape nerd culture accordingly, despite it having been the source of what she wanted in the first place.

• 2Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
we can only hope Capt Marvel begins with brie and ends w/
Pixelate.png

then she won't fuck up End Game

• 5Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 7 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Black female pilot says you're wrong already and that's just the trailer.

that's not necessarily a hint that it's going the wrong direction. black female pilot is an actual comic character. i'm not saying she wasn't specifically chosen to add in another female character who's also a person of color, but she's basically captain marvel's rhodey