Car Buying Help

koljec_sl

shitlord
Decided to buy the RAV4 hybrid today. Extended the warranty and bought the rust protection sinceNY salting the roads voids Toyota's default protection...
Did the salesman or financing guy tell you this?

Basically anything the dealer offers after you have agreed to the price of the car is so they can get more margin. In short, it's all bullshit.

You can cancel extended warranties and get refunded. It won't change the payment, though.

You can also look into Mechanical Breakdown Insurance through your auto insurer. That can bump coverage out to 7 years 100,000 miles or so. I think it's a much better deal if you are planning to keep the vehicle for a while and have concerns about a hybrid or turbo system.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also is the hybrid on that model worth it? For instance on the Subaru Crostek the hybrid is basically worthless because it gets like 2 mpg more highway and 1 less city or something dumb in real world yet costs 6-8k more.

Vinen

God is dead
Also is the hybrid on that model worth it? For instance on the Subaru Crostek the hybrid is basically worthless because it gets like 2 mpg more highway and 1 less city or something dumb in real world yet costs 6-8k more.
It's only worth it if he does a lot of city driving.
Mileage differences are pretty terrible. Only a 2k difference

XLE is 24/31
XLE Hybrid is 34/31

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Err yea. I meant higher city lower highway.

I'm curious if it actually gets 34. I don't think I've yet had a car that makes what it claims even while babying it even after the EPA came down on 'guesstimates'. I think part of it might be trim packages and options though, because I assume they rate the lightest trim package of each drivetrain on the model?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah definitely let me know. Your kid is in a car seat? If so let me know how that fits
I'll get you a better impression after we drive it around some more. As for the car seat, it fits fine. That was one of the main reasons we got a bigger car, he was out of leg room in the back of my wife's car and almost there in mine. Being only 2.5 years, he wasn't going to be done with a car seat for a while and likely was going to have leg room problems later anyway.

Did the salesman or financing guy tell you this?

Basically anything the dealer offers after you have agreed to the price of the car is so they can get more margin. In short, it's all bullshit.

You can cancel extended warranties and get refunded. It won't change the payment, though.

You can also look into Mechanical Breakdown Insurance through your auto insurer. That can bump coverage out to 7 years 100,000 miles or so. I think it's a much better deal if you are planning to keep the vehicle for a while and have concerns about a hybrid or turbo system.
First time buying a new car
frown.png
Read up on OTHER stuff the dealer tries to push and completely forgot to prepare myself for this stuff. Now after reading up on it, I feel really stupid for agreeing to them.

Consumer Reports measured the regular XLE at 17/26 and the hybrid at 26/32. The hybrid was priced ~$1700 more, which is actually higher than usual because the wife wanted a certain color and regular XLE was marked down. Even for that price difference, we figured we'd more than make up for it in gas savings over the life of the car, so we bought it. The hybrid came with some other nice safety extras too.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
frown.png
Read up on OTHER stuff the dealer tries to push and completely forgot to prepare myself for this stuff. Now after reading up on it, I feel really stupid for agreeing to them.

Consumer Reports measured the regular XLE at 17/26 and the hybrid at 26/32. The hybrid was priced ~$1700 more, which is actually higher than usual because the wife wanted a certain color and regular XLE was marked down. Even for that price difference, we figured we'd more than make up for it in gas savings over the life of the car, so we bought it. The hybrid came with some other nice safety extras too.
Don't feel too bad falling for the dealership scams, if you were the first guy to ever buy them it wouldn't be such big business. Just tell them no next time.

I don't like the idea of buying a hybrid for some kind of ROI/cost savings, just buy it because it gets better mileage and better mileage is a good thing all the way around, for a lot of reasons.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got scammed on buying an extended warranty for my car, when I read up on it they basically don't cover anything

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Don't feel too bad falling for the dealership scams, if you were the first guy to ever buy them it wouldn't be such big business. Just tell them no next time.

I don't like the idea of buying a hybrid for some kind of ROI/cost savings, just buy it because it gets better mileage and better mileage is a good thing all the way around, for a lot of reasons.
I'm trying. I think I'm actually more bothered by the fact that I'm bothered by it, if that makes any sense. Like, I can't accept that I screwed up and move on. I think I'd still fixate on this even if it just a couple hundred dollars.

Anyway, the real reason we bought a hybrid is because it's one of the few ways left for white people to express their privilege.
;p I agree with you, it's not a ROI. The better mileage just made swallowing the price increase easier.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Only after-the-fact thing I bought for my WRX was the service plan. Which basically just means I bought discounted scheduled maintenance up to 36k milage but the hook is it has to be at a Subaru dealer. I generally get my service done at dealerships anyways so I figured it would save me a few bucks in the long run.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I always do dealer service too, I just never have them fix anything they inevitably find wrong during their service. No I don't want to pay $65 for you to replace my wipers.

koljec_sl

shitlord
frown.png
Don't feel bad about it. I'm reading your post and vicariously angry at the dealership! You still got a good vehicle. When you walk in that door, there is an entire system of people working against you, and they practice their spiel daily. You, at most get to do it once every few years.

If they think they can fool you, they will try to do so. And if don't think they can fool you, they try to make the process take as long as possible, so you'll make a tired, quick, and bad decision.

I think the best thing to do is research models and prices and terms ahead of time. Write down what you want (within reason), and insist on it or walk.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Just bought a '16 Pilot Touring. Second kid is arriving Thursday so wanted to get it done. Nice and roomy. Pretty decent gas mileage. A lot of cool features. I drive a '14 Accord Hybrid so very familiar with the Honda ecosystem. Would definitely recommend Noodle.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Decided to be dumb and just picked up a 16 Mustang GT today. I did some test drives this weekend and it was just, enjoyable and a fun drive. I even leaned towards the ecoboost, it was quick but the turbo lag was too much. The dealer tried to keep "showing" the price, but without really showing it. Like the entire "well MSRP is this, but it'll be a few thousand less, here sign this". I finally stood up and just said show me the fucking price you want to sell it to me for or I leave. They showed it, I was able to knock off 2.5k off that and I was happy. Neither one of us came out on top, but I got everything I wanted. If it wasn't for finals for the next 2 days I would be driving down to key west. It really is a enjoyable ride.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just bought a '16 Pilot Touring. Second kid is arriving Thursday so wanted to get it done. Nice and roomy. Pretty decent gas mileage. A lot of cool features. I drive a '14 Accord Hybrid so very familiar with the Honda ecosystem. Would definitely recommend Noodle.
I'll look into it! Thanks

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'll look into it! Thanks
Neighbor has a Honda Pilot and it's a good vehicle, that or a Toyota Highlander. It's a basic larger crossover SUV. Can get all wheel drive and reasonable features.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Here is a great buyers guide to the 2016 Pilot, including some info at the end about extended warranties for them.2016 Comprehensive Buyers Guide - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

TL;DR- If you want an extended warranty buy Honda Care, and don't pay more than $1300ish. That will get you to 8/120k, you can buy it from any dealer, and can find it for that price pretty easily.

I have an EX-L and have been very happy with it so far.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Here is a great buyers guide to the 2016 Pilot, including some info at the end about extended warranties for them.2016 Comprehensive Buyers Guide - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

TL;DR- If you want an extended warranty buy Honda Care, and don't pay more than $1300ish. That will get you to 8/120k, you can buy it from any dealer, and can find it for that price pretty easily.

I have an EX-L and have been very happy with it so far.
Have to note that you can buy these warranties later as long as you do it before the factory warranty runs out, so don't jump now for an 8 year warranty when most people keep cars 2-3 years at most.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Honda Care needs to be purchased within the first 6,000 miles, but you are correct in that there are other warranty products you can purchase down the road. Can't tell you the cost/coverage compared to Honda Care, all I know is most pilot owners highly recommend Honda Care.

FWIW I did not get any sort of extended warranty for mine, betting on Honda's reputation for being reliable. That and the fact my wife will probably want something new before any issues have a chance to manifest.

But since it is a new gen of the Pilot and new cars in general have the potential for more expensive repairs due to all the computers/electronics and what not, I understand why people might opt to extend it.