Car Buying Help

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
AWD definitely makes a difference on ice, especially if your car individually adjusts power to each wheel depending on grip. I also never noticed any difference based on snow height-- all that matters is how well your tires are gripping and snow touching your chassis doesn't impact this.

It basically goes like this AWD>manual transmission FWD or RWD>FWD>RWD

It's funny though, I see more AWD cars in Dallas than I did in Canada..

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Vinen hates his wife.

Who are you guys kidding that a foot of snow is par for the course around here? That's a storm that shuts down most of both our states. You're making the warm weather people think we live in Alaska.

Vinen

God is dead
Vinen hates his wife.

Who are you guys kidding that a foot of snow is par for the course around here? That's a storm that shuts down most of both our states. You're making the warm weather people think we live in Alaska.
Incorrect.

I just hate working at home. Cannot focus at all.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think I could see how daily driving the WRX could get old especially if you're in stop/go traffic a bunch. The handling is a bit stiff and the clutch is pretty heavy. I'm still loving it but I only have a 10 minute commute. I could see if I'm sitting in traffic for 20 minutes the clutch alone would be wearing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
In Cambridge you have to play dodgeball with all the stupid idiots riding their bicycles.

I've never seen such dangerous and daring cyclists in my life. Still undecided if they're worse than the cabbies or not.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So me and the wife just inherited a 2011 Jeep 4x4 6 speed manual with a hard top, and 30" tires also only has like 40K miles. Pretty slick and fun to drive.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Looking at getting the wife a new car - we are pretty loyal to Honda (my 100k mile '13 accord hasn't even needed brake pads changed yet) so starting there.

She wants something to cart around multiple kids but does not want a minivan. Was looking at the crosstour - is that decent for a couple car seats and storage capacity or do we want to go full SUV? CR-V?

Other companies with similar quality to look at?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Looking at getting the wife a new car - we are pretty loyal to Honda (my 100k mile '13 accord hasn't even needed brake pads changed yet) so starting there.

She wants something to cart around multiple kids but does not want a minivan. Was looking at the crosstour - is that decent for a couple car seats and storage capacity or do we want to go full SUV? CR-V?

If you're looking at basic Japanese cars I'd stick to Honda and Toyota.

CR-V, Pilot, Rav4, Highlander. Crosstour is fugly

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't get the love for SUVs. Minivans make sense to me but everything about an SUV makes it seem harder to get around with kids in rather than easier, mostly because of ride height. Kids can get into a car much easier by themselves at an earlier age. Your wife is small right? How's she gonna get the newborn's car seat with the newborn in it into the SUV easily?

Kids always seemed like a dubious excuse for a woman to get a vehicle she's always wanted from a man.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Minivans are definitely better than SUV's at everything except towing, off-roading, and not looking like a punk ass bitch.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Listen man she doesn't want a minivan and neither do I.

She can figure out how to get kids in and out if that means I don't have a giant turd sitting in the driveway

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Listen man she doesn't want a minivan and neither do I.

She can figure out how to get kids in and out if that means I don't have a giant turd sitting in the driveway
I hear you man, I won't drive a minivan either. We pack all our kids in a sedan, and we make it work. Because fuck SUV's and fuck minivans. And fuck strollers. Carry your stupid kid.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well she has a tiny ass civic. The car seat in the back forces the passenger seat upfront to full knees in your chest mode

Tenks

CR-V isn't quite as big as you may think. The "full sized" SUV for Honda is the Pilot and those are getting quite expensive. Personally I think Crosstours are alright and no matter what if you're lugging around kids you'll either look like a loser in a minivan, a dork in a crosstour or a try hard in a giant SUV.

Tenks

So get her a basic Camry or Avalon. Won't break the bank and way bigger.
Ya my mom has an Avalon. Its a pretty nice car. Handles well in the winter and that lady fucking sucks at driving in the winter.