Car Buying Help

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
On the one hand, they make some decent cars that are apparently pretty good reliability wise. Anyone who buys one seems to turn in to an instant Subaru evangelist. On the other hand, lesbians.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just want a medium sized car that is also somewhat sporty and fun to drive. I like my Civic but driving it is pretty dull. However my Civic only has like 80k miles on it and I don't drive much so I still have many years in it.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Call bullshit all you want. It's through a credit union. Caps at 15k, rates subject to change (checking account, not the loan) but it's been 2.25 for the past two years. $20 a month ATM reimbursement.

koljec_sl

shitlord
What are people's opinion on Subarus? I was thinking of a 5 door WRX as my next car but it seems a bit on the expensive side and I don't know how Subaru's match up in the "total cost of ownership" figure.
WRX has a turbo which requires premium fuel =/

Tenks

WRX has a turbo which requires premium fuel =/
Did not know that. Not really interested in a turbo due to their tendency to break down after 100k miles (is that still true?) and premium fuel requirement.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I doubt that's still true of turbos. There's a pretty significant proportion of cars on the road with turbos these days, and they're going to keep getting more common due to fuel efficiency regulations. The premium fuel thing is kind of gay, but that's becoming common with other engines as well. Our 2008 GM pickup truck "recommends" premium, for fuck's sake.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Every subaru driver I've ever seen has been a douchebag. I don't have any hard numbers on this but I believe it to be 100%.

Tenks

Every subaru driver I've ever seen has been a douchebag. I don't have any hard numbers on this but I believe it to be 100%.
Since 100% of lesbiens drive Subarus does that make this a homophobic statement? Why do you hate the box munchers noods?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Should have just bought the damn froyo... going to be buying a mini-van by the end of the year for the wife.... Will buy used, will probably search craigslist, or potential auto auction. Fucking froyo.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
lol financing a car. you will get more entertainment/value from pissing on your money then setting it on fire.
I use to think the same years ago..bought my first house with cash, bought my first few cars with cash... Then I realized I'm much better off getting a low rate loan and arbitraging the money in the stock market. Financed my last car and even though I have a $900 month car payment, that money is earning me 1500 a month on average. Sure if I bought a scooter I'd be even further ahead, but at some point you have to make some sacrifices to enjoy yourself.
smile.png
The principal really only works if you have the ability to pay a significant amount of the purchase in cash. Basically a store has a TV for $100 but will give it to you on finance if you pay them $105 at the end of the month. You have $95 cash and know a guy that will give you $105 at the end of the month if you loan him the money(he is just a bit shady though so some risk... but you have lent him money many times in the past with success). What do you do?
smile.png

Psypher_sl

shitlord
I use to think the same years ago..bought my first house with cash, bought my first few cars with cash... Then I realized I'm much better off getting a low rate loan and arbitraging the money in the stock market. Financed my last car and even though I have a $900 month car payment, that money is earning me 1500 a month on average. Sure if I bought a scooter I'd be even further ahead, but at some point you have to make some sacrifices to enjoy yourself.
smile.png
The principal really only works if you have the ability to pay a significant amount of the purchase in cash. Basically a store has a TV for $100 but will give it to you on finance if you pay them $105 at the end of the month. You have $95 cash and know a guy that will give you $105 at the end of the month if you loan him the money(he is just a bit shady though so some risk... but you have lent him money many times in the past with success). What do you do?
smile.png
The same. My car was 1.9 to finance a few months back. My lowest earning investment account makes >7%. I wonder if he lol's at people that use credit cards, cause I pay everything with it and get 2-5% back. Yea, I pay it off each month as well.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I agree in principle with the above two posts yet it always seems like when a recession hits they're the same people bitching about how they got fucked. Personally I only invest what I can afford to lose in the market at this point. Maybe I'm just to cautious with my financials, but to me it's way to stressful living every day knowing that the next 9/11, or economic bubble could absolutely crush my finances if I'm leveraged to the hilt with everything invested. Maybe I'll never get rich with my attitude, but I'll certainly never end up bankrupt in a matter of months like much of the populous in 2008.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
My main car is a 2012 Legacy, I really want a 5 door WRX but I think the golf GTI is going to win out due to price but until they change those hideous rims I am going to keep my Tacoma beater for a while longer. Also looking at a Scion FR-S or BRZ.