Car Buying Help

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You might want to research first before calling someone out on something as petty as his banks interest rate. Kasasa checking account, which are offered by various credit unions has higher than normal rates.
There is a 4% account out there as well.

Kasasa Cash Checking Account | Baton Rouge ??" Shreveport ??" Lake Charles | Louisiana ??" LA | Pelican State CU

Instead of being a snarky fuck you could just post a link.
There are some pretty weird limits on those accounts. It's 4.01% APY up to $10k, then drops to 0.82%. The interest also does not compound into the same account, but is dumped into a different savings account. You can also only have 1 account per person (stops you opening multiple <$10k account balances).

Not bad if you have <$10k I guess, but it is definitely a niche offering.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
The same. My car was 1.9 to finance a few months back. My lowest earning investment account makes >7%. I wonder if he lol's at people that use credit cards, cause I pay everything with it and get 2-5% back. Yea, I pay it off each month as well.
Obviously if you can finance a car under 2%, you should do it. That basically is free money.

And I think more or less everyone uses credit cards that way? I buy everything on mine and pay it off each month.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Looking to buy a 2012 mazda3 I touring for $16.5k. We are going to check the car out tomorrow. It had one previous driver (lease) and has 10k miles. Clean carfax. I may try to get it a bit cheaper but honestly, it's the only single owner low mileage in a 1000 radius... And the price seems reasonable.

Thoughts?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Are the 2014/15 3s that much more expensive? I got my Grand Touring 6 with all the bells and whistles for $30k or just under. Wasn't sure if a good new 3 would go for $20k or what options you're looking at and if it is private vs. dealer and what you're financing, etc...

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Are the 2014/15 3s that much more expensive? I got my Grand Touring 6 with all the bells and whistles for $30k or just under. Wasn't sure if a good new 3 would go for $20k or what options you're looking at and if it is private vs. dealer and what you're financing, etc...
Around 22 for equal trim.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Looking to buy a 2012 mazda3 I touring for $16.5k. We are going to check the car out tomorrow. It had one previous driver (lease) and has 10k miles. Clean carfax. I may try to get it a bit cheaper but honestly, it's the only single owner low mileage in a 1000 radius... And the price seems reasonable.

Thoughts?
You should be able to get a new Mazda 3 I base for $18,000 or less. Touring would be like $20K, and $23ish for a GT. Hatchback might make them all like $500 more expensive.

I love my I GT. Can't wait to see what the new MX5s look like...and the rumored RX9, too.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone know how much to take off a car that is being driven by the sales manager? The MSRP was 38k but with rebates and shit it was down to 35k. I go to look at it and there are fucking baby seats in the back lol. It had 2000miles in it. Just never titled so they want to call it new but that ain't fucking new to me lol.. I was just curious how much I should shave off that 35k. I think most cars take a 10% hit when they leave the lot?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No new car should have 38k. That is a ripoff. Tell them to fuck off if they don't give you a significant discount. They are basically slapping you in the face.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
For the record, my Ford Escape was a dealer car when I bought it. 5K miles on it, they knocked the sticker price down from 28k to 25k before we even started other price negotiations, ended up getting it for like 22k(I was getting prices around ~24k from other dealers I had negotiated with on brand new, zero mile vehicles). So while they told me they knocked 3k off, it really ended up being more like 2, but I was still fine with that.

Trollicious_sl

shitlord
what car you are looking at is a huge thing in the amount of room you have to negotiate. some vehicles have way more markup (trucks) and some cars are in stupid high demand (the new M-B CLA). please put what car you are looking at as well. not only that, some rebates/incentives are regional as well so be sure to put that in.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
So I think I'm stuck at the moment but wanted to share what I have and maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I bought a car back in May of this year and put $2,000 down and have made $1,750 in payments ever since on time each month. It's a 2009 Lincoln MKZ and I have 34,750 miles on it. The car was my first credit purchase and I have a 6% financing rate right now and my payments are $350 per month. Since purchasing the car my credit rating has went up. The car is awesome for me, it's the right size and has all of the ammenities that I want but I would like a little better fuel economy in the city. 2009 Lincoln MKZ's get 18 mpg in the city. That's pretty shitty when you work on a pretty large Army post and the speed limit is 25 mph most of the time. So my question for the forum is should I refinance my car now for 60 instead of 72 months or wait a few more months to let my credit score get a little higher or should I save money for a few months and pay some money down towards a car with better fuel economy? My payoff is $19,631 (bought it for $19,500) and I know it really takes about 39 months for you to even break even when you are financing something after putting only 10% down. So with that said I've clearly got some negative equity in the ballpark of 5-10k.

I would like something like a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid eventually, but I'm also open to some other options. I just know that I'm 5-8k out of that kind of price range right now and need a little advice.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I think I'm stuck at the moment but wanted to share what I have and maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I bought a car back in May of this year and put $2,000 down and have made $1,750 in payments ever since on time each month. It's a 2009 Lincoln MKZ and I have 34,750 miles on it. The car was my first credit purchase and I have a 6% financing rate right now and my payments are $350 per month. Since purchasing the car my credit rating has went up. The car is awesome for me, it's the right size and has all of the ammenities that I want but I would like a little better fuel economy in the city. 2009 Lincoln MKZ's get 18 mpg in the city. That's pretty shitty when you work on a pretty large Army post and the speed limit is 25 mph most of the time. So my question for the forum is should I refinance my car now for 60 instead of 72 months or wait a few more months to let my credit score get a little higher or should I save money for a few months and pay some money down towards a car with better fuel economy? My payoff is $19,631 (bought it for $19,500) and I know it really takes about 39 months for you to even break even when you are financing something after putting only 10% down. So with that said I've clearly got some negative equity in the ballpark of 5-10k.

I would like something like a 2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid eventually, but I'm also open to some other options. I just know that I'm 5-8k out of that kind of price range right now and need a little advice.
Unless you drive atonyou won't be making up that negative equity. However, that said you lose money on cars no matter which way you slice it. One point I'd make though, is to get your credit report and score. Generally, you cannot fix credit overnight - at least to the tune of qualifying for 0-2% interest rates where you were in the ok-good range before. Assuming you have perfect payment history, the problem is you need large open to buy/equity and older accounts to bump your credit into the higher 700s. So basically, unless you have a mortgage trade, you need high limits on credit cards with no balances. If youdon'thave those right now, opening all of them (even if you don't use them) will cause your score to go down for about a year with all those inquiries and new accounts.

So before you spend energy making plans, find out about your credit situation - there are some score estimators out there that can help too (ie, if you input all your info, you can select 'pay off this loan' or whatnot to see what happens to your score). Even so, I kind of doubt you are going to come out ahead buying a different car. As for refinancing, unless you are getting super super low interest rate, all you are going to do is pay more interest to another lender all over again just to lower your monthly payment due to where you are in your payment schedule - on a 6% loan your first year is basically the lion's share of the interest.

EDIT: OH, did you actually mean first credit purchase ever? In that case, no, your credit is not going to increase that much this quickly. You have no history there, much less the open trade lines. If you are not going to be in the housing market soon, I would start by getting a few credit cards and paying them off every month. Store cards are great for increasing credit score, because they still give you freebie credit line increases whereas almost all bank cards now require a hard credit pull for an increase. I bought some furniture last year at Ashley's and put it on a promo on their card, paid it all off in interest free period and I just looked and they bumped me to 10K from 3K even though I haven't made a purchase in forever...

The problem with auto loans (categorically: installment loans) is that as soon as you pay it off - you basically lose that credit history as far as it affects your score. Rent, cell phones, medical - none of that typically hits your credit unless you fail to pay so no bueno there either.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Anyone with tips for the first time buyer of an exotic? Specifically, would a Lotus dealership laugh at haggling over an Evora, and are there any differences in financing expectations and terms?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone with tips for the first time buyer of an exotic? Specifically, would a Lotus dealership laugh at haggling over an Evora, and are there any differences in financing expectations and terms?
I think biggest difference when buying cars over $80,000 is to be willing to cast a much larger net out in regards to distance. Don't know what major city you are close to but Evora's aren't normally too hard to fine. They seem to be selling below sticker and there are still 2014s sitting on lots. You can get a lightly used Evora S 2013/14 for about $25,000 off MSRP. If you are near Miami or LA don't buy there, get a much better deal by buying from a dealer out of the area and either enjoy the ride home or just spend another grand or two and have it shipped to you.

Bring your own financing when buying high end imo, most buyers are paying cash. It's just an opinion but taking loans for high end cars seems unwise, if you are currently making bank then just save for awhile and buy it when you have the cash. If it takes too long to save it up then you probably are spending more than you should, but it's your money.

And with Lotus in general make sure you spend some time in one before buying if you haven't already, there are tons of Lotus's out there with under 3000 miles for a reason. They are incredibly fun on a track but that fun wears off quick on the road. Also consider the new Alfo Romeo 4c, similar styling and handling but can save some money and still has that rarity.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I think biggest difference when buying cars over $80,000 is to be willing to cast a much larger net out in regards to distance. Don't know what major city you are close to but Evora's aren't normally too hard to fine. They seem to be selling below sticker and there are still 2014s sitting on lots. You can get a lightly used Evora S 2013/14 for about $25,000 off MSRP. If you are near Miami or LA don't buy there, get a much better deal by buying from a dealer out of the area and either enjoy the ride home or just spend another grand or two and have it shipped to you.

Bring your own financing when buying high end imo, most buyers are paying cash. It's just an opinion but taking loans for high end cars seems unwise, if you are currently making bank then just save for awhile and buy it when you have the cash. If it takes too long to save it up then you probably are spending more than you should, but it's your money.

And with Lotus in general make sure you spend some time in one before buying if you haven't already, there are tons of Lotus's out there with under 3000 miles for a reason. They are incredibly fun on a track but that fun wears off quick on the road. Also consider the new Alfo Romeo 4c, similar styling and handling but can save some money and still has that rarity.
Thanks for the advice.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looking to buy a slightly used (~10kmiles) 2015 volvo x60, dealer set the price at 34k. Coming from a 2000 jeep grand cherokee thats been run into the ground almost (189k miles). Anyone have experience with the swedez? I'm enticed by the 24/31mpg e-drive... but its FWD only so I might miss my off-road capability. Granted i've only ever used the 4wd on my jeep like three times in 12 years, but its a badass factor thing. I've heard volvos are pretty reliable too. and anders holmvik drives one so that's gotta mean something. Are there better options out there in the 30ish price range for mid-SUV that can beat the mpg/style of the x60?

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looking to buy a slightly used (~10kmiles) 2015 volvo x60, dealer set the price at 34k. Coming from a 2000 jeep grand cherokee thats been run into the ground almost (189k miles). Anyone have experience with the swedez? I'm enticed by the 24/31mpg e-drive... but its FWD only so I might miss my off-road capability. Granted i've only ever used the 4wd on my jeep like three times in 12 years, but its a badass factor thing. I've heard volvos are pretty reliable too. and anders holmvik drives one so that's gotta mean something. Are there better options out there in the 30ish price range for mid-SUV that can beat the mpg/style of the x60?
Dont buy euro?! but right on for going used, bought a brand new brz when they came out put 6.5k on it since and want to punch myself every day because it was a pure waste of money. Why do you need an SUV is the real question.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
BRZs look sexy. Yeah I really don't need an suv, Ive just only ever had the jeep and think i've gotten used to feeling 'taller' on the road. I also usually end up being the chauffeur for long car rides and its nice having the extra space sometimes. Def gonna test drive a few others though because getting around the city is annoying sometimes.