Car Buying Help

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Volvo reliable mechanically, but electrical historically is bad and expensive. At that price range why not get a Cherokee trailhawk if you still like the jeep? Smaller than grand and new ones are pretty nice but granted you can spec them out to 41k with luxury kit.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looking to buy a slightly used (~10kmiles) 2015 volvo x60, dealer set the price at 34k. Coming from a 2000 jeep grand cherokee thats been run into the ground almost (189k miles). Anyone have experience with the swedez? I'm enticed by the 24/31mpg e-drive... but its FWD only so I might miss my off-road capability. Granted i've only ever used the 4wd on my jeep like three times in 12 years, but its a badass factor thing. I've heard volvos are pretty reliable too. and anders holmvik drives one so that's gotta mean something. Are there better options out there in the 30ish price range for mid-SUV that can beat the mpg/style of the x60?
Why you gonna leave Jeep when they are so sexy!? I have the 2014 grand jeep Cherokee altitude and I love it!

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude - Limited Edition SUV

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Not a whole lot of traffic in this thread, but I am in need of impartial opinions so here goes!

Last month my shitty 07 Rio with 80kish miles got smashed by some dumb chick on her cellphone. Finally got my check last week (4.2k) and I am looking for something of equal value to get me to and from work. My commute is about 10 miles each way, 5/6 days a week. Now my Rio was.... well a Rio, so this go around I was hoping for something a little more fun and less embarassing to be seen in/date with so I took to CL to go over my options when I came across this 71 Mercury Cougar:

rrr_img_95012.jpg
rrr_img_95013.jpg
rrr_img_95014.jpg

88,000 miles, v8 and described as mint for only 5,900 bucks. Interwebz has it around the 7,500 mark and I feel confident I can shave a few hundred off if I pay in cash.

Now I know this isn't some gem of a muscle car, but it does look fun and fits my style perfectly. I guess my main concern is whether or not I could beat on this thing for a few years while I fix my credit and get more money put away for something new. Last thing I need is something that constantly needs to go in and out of the shop. Anyone with any experience with old cars like this care to weigh in? Also, I assume a car of this make and year require some special insurance in NY?

Any and all opinions are welcome, would like to have something on the road in 10 days when I go back to work.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea OK, let's just say there's been a couple of improvements over 44 years.

Do you really want to deal with an improperly adjusted carb in the dead of winter? No ABS, no stability control? How are you going to get parts? Is there 44 years of salt build up and rust? It looks in fairly decent condition but as a primary car I'd get as new as possible for the money. All it takes is one part to go that you need to special order a replacement from some antique shop that does custom builds/refurbs and you are out of a car.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any advice on negotiating a better price on a special order? I know the invoice price, and being sold straight off the truck should save the dealer some money, but I would think having a non-refundable deposit on the car compromises my position.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Any advice on negotiating a better price on a special order? I know the invoice price, and being sold straight off the truck should save the dealer some money, but I would think having a non-refundable deposit on the car compromises my position.
1) Generally, they would have to have you specifically sign a document stating the deposit is nonrefundable. They can't just 'say' it or write 'all deposits are nonrefundable', they have to have you sign a contract to the effect that that backing out of the order is going to cause them some loss (IE, they'll have to discount the car to sell it to another person) so the deposit is nonrefundable.
2) If you already paid a deposit, your negotiating position is lowered.
3) Depending on manufacturer, there are sometimes organizations/employers that will get you specific 'employee' or 'partner' discounts that some dealerships hate but most will take and it removes negotiation from the process.
4) You can always negotiate, but keep in mind that dealerships don't build the cars. It's not hard to find what actual cost is (not listed invoice which is usually inflated to some degree) if you dig through enough online. Generally the only time you will be able to get the car for 'less than cost' is when some kick back from the manufacturer is on the line: model liquidation (year end), the dealership is 7 cars away one-two days from end of quarter from being number 1 in the [area] and achieving a massive bonus, etc. But these generally all mean you are not ordering.
5) Certain high demand cars you will have to know somebody (Hellcat, GT350, etc.) even to get MSRP with no ADM.
6) Season can play a big role (RWD car in winter months in snowy area).
7) Manufacturer rebates are money for 'you' essentially, your negotiations with price with the dealer shouldn't include them if you are doing it right.
8) If you come to the dealership prepared and find the right sales guy and basically present yourself as a straight-shooting, no baggage guy (no trade in, own financing preapproval, etc.) the dealership will be happy to make $500 holdback on a sale because it's basically no risk, no work. If you have to wait to sell a car or insist on a trade that could have diminished value by time you see it (especially for foreign or preorders) then you won't negotiate from a strong position.

If you already put your deposit down, the best you can do is go to another dealership, tell them you put a deposit on an order for $x and you want them to beat it. Of course at some point they might just say "well he's willing to walk out on that deal so..." and there's not enough room to go down to make them take it. Of course that is mitigated against what type of vehicle. If it's a saleable vehicle (ie no outrageous options), you have more room since dealers are more likely to take the risk.

It's not rocket surgery, you just have to know the numbers (and not listen to the 'how much do you want to spend a month???' BS) and be prepared to walk when things don't go your way. As long as the dealer is able to make some money on it, >A< dealer, somewhere, will take the deal. The question is how much legwork is worth how much money. If you could walk now and lose $500 with an offer to save $1500 from the dealer down the road, you save money even if you eat the deposit. If they made you put a huge deposit down... well...

Of course this is all general (and simple) advice because you asked for tips without giving any details at all and the details are 95% of the game.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a 2015 VW GTI S with the performance package. With the drivers assist package, Consumer Reports is saying the invoice is $28,430. The MSRP on the purchase order is $29,495, and it does say no refund. Getting a steal on the car isn't top priority, but knocking the price down a little would be nice.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's a 2015 VW GTI S with the performance package. With the drivers assist package, Consumer Reports is saying the invoice is $28,430. The MSRP on the purchase order is $29,495, and it does say no refund. Getting a steal on the car isn't top priority, but knocking the price down a little would be nice.
I am confused why you put money down before negotiating a price. I mean there's very little you can do at this point with VW to the best of my knowledge. About your best option (assuming you can't just cancel the order by asking nicely) is to concoct some terrible story about your relative getting cancer and you having to cut hours at work or something to get them to let you back out and get your money back, assuring them you will return once your financial situation has stabilized. Then haul ass to another dealer.

Either way you need to do it now because if you wait until the car is in the lot they will make you fight harder for your deposit money.

TrueCar, USAA and Costco have decent options for 'all' types of autos without hard negotiations but it really depends on your location for number of dealers. Your best bet would be to explain the situation to another dealer and ask them if they will save you significantly more than the deposit. Then, worst case, maybe get some service/accessories for the $500 at the other place if you can't outright get the cash back. *shrug*

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Actually, here you go, check if your dealer does partner programs. If so:

Join SCCA -The Sports Car Club of America - About

Which gets you partner access for -Partner Home Page

Which should get you something like invoice - $500 pricing.

You may have to shmooze the dealer though, most of these programs are basically ID yourself at the doorway type things.

2. How it Works

Present your personalized certificate to a participating U.S. Volkswagen Dealer. If you fail to present the certificate up front, the Dealer is not required to honor the certificate. You must also present a valid driver's license. In addition, employees of partner companies must present a current pay stub with the certificate, retirees of partner companies must present a retiree pension stub with the certificate, and members of partner organizations must provide proof of membership with the certificate.The Dealer will then validate eligibility and sell you an eligible vehicle at $500 below factory invoice price of that particular vehicle.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Yea OK, let's just say there's been a couple of improvements over 44 years.

Do you really want to deal with an improperly adjusted carb in the dead of winter? No ABS, no stability control? How are you going to get parts? Is there 44 years of salt build up and rust? It looks in fairly decent condition but as a primary car I'd get as new as possible for the money. All it takes is one part to go that you need to special order a replacement from some antique shop that does custom builds/refurbs and you are out of a car.
Well put! The low price tag had my head in the clouds I guess, but after sleeping on it it was a no brainer.

Funny, I went to look it up earlier today to show a friend who was interested and it was already sold and beingresold for 2 grand more in Nesconset...

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks Palum, I'll give that a shot. I hadn't honestly considered having to special order the car and what the implications would be, at the time. I won't lose any sleep over it, but it's sounding like a not inexpensive lesson.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Any advice in the truck buying world? GF is vehemently anti Tundra/Tacoma. I dont like the new model tacoma coming and besides looks are kinda antiquated. Her family die hard dodge folk but I wasnt a fan too much. We both agreed on like the Ram Rebel just coming out now, but once price was revealed was kinda shit for what you get and way too close to Raptor in price without the same chops.

So, think im interested in full size crew cabs with at least the 6ft ish bed (no super short 4footers). Kinda interested in some of the sporty ford trims Fx4, possibly wait for 2017 raptor, etc. Likely trying to buy used to lose some of the depreciation hit (so for the 17 raptor yes I realize that's like 2 years out). Alternatively, I do like the newer Rams have much more pleasing to me interiors, I like the 8 speed transmissions and have numerous appearance trims that look good.

Big thing is to wait to year end? Or Start of a new year? No rush since I really should let my R32 die I figure rather than trying to squeeze much money out of it, 2008 @ 112k miles, think it's only worth like 12k tops.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea the Toyota trucks are in desperate need of a refresh. Truck wise, it's probably going to depend where you live. Out here it's truck season year round so you really have to play with model years if you want a discount on new. That said, the pricing on trucks isoutrageousand I'd look at some high volume dealers like Koons (even if you have to travel a long distance) to get a decent price. Even with Ford X-plan is only like 4K off a 51K platinum F150.

CPO/late model used is probably your best bet. Don't get me wrong, the Raptors are nice and I could see paying the money for them since they are pretty awesome out of the box, but what the fuck is an F150 base model with AC and tow package doing at around 30K? That's insane to me.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone have some thoughts on a Toyota Rav4 vs. Honda's CRV? Likely 2014/2015 is what I'm looking at and liked driving both, but really disliked the spare tire being on the back of the car (personally think it looks ridiculous).

Apart from that they are pretty similar, but how do they compare for maintenance/fixability? Currently driving a 2002 Toyota Camry but giving it to a family member as I need something with more space in it.

Looking at ratings online, consistent thoughts are the CRV is top 3-4 and Rav4 was down at the 13-14 range for overall crossover/suv's but not sure if that's accurate entirely.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Anyone have some thoughts on a Toyota Rav4 vs. Honda's CRV? Likely 2014/2015 is what I'm looking at and liked driving both, but really disliked the spare tire being on the back of the car (personally think it looks ridiculous).

Apart from that they are pretty similar, but how do they compare for maintenance/fixability? Currently driving a 2002 Toyota Camry but giving it to a family member as I need something with more space in it.

Looking at ratings online, consistent thoughts are the CRV is top 3-4 and Rav4 was down at the 13-14 range for overall crossover/suv's but not sure if that's accurate entirely.
Do the new Rav4s have the tire? I thought they removed that. My boss's wife had one for a bit and did't like it. Nothing mechanicaly wrong with it, but just a lame interior she said.

I had a CRV of the previous style for a while and like it a lot, but the seats hurt my back. I don't like the new CRVs because the rear looks like a Pontiac Aztec to me.

Also, expect to get hosed buying used on CRVs and RAV4s. Some dealers put them up with 10K miles at new prices.

Anyway, what's your budget?

IF you can go $25K to $30K, can I suggest a 2015 VW GTI? It's not a miniSUV, but it is a hatch. You gotta test drive one, at least. Poor mans Audi, but it has the most beautiful parts, the engine, transmission, and suspension.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Early build issues and the ubiquitous problems with the ZF 9 speed aside, I love my new Cherokee Trailhawk. It's very versatile for a CUV/small SUV- I mean ffs you get a 1:56 rock crawl gear and a rear locking differential lol.

I tried a Rav4, Escape and Soul out and price per value they just didn't compare at all to the TH. The cockpit is amazing, the stop and go ACC is a pleasure to drive with in commute traffic and when some asshole bungs up the entire freeway I have A/T tires, 8" ground clearance, 4x4 low range and skid plates to bail over the median separating the freeway from the exit ramp while the cop just shrugs at all the old people in sedans whining out their window that country kitchen buffet is closing soon. Oh and I can actually tow 4500 lbs.

Cherokee eats Rav4 for breakfast in every way, it's just far more capable than the current gen Escape and the Soul for all it's kitsch had a mediocre driving experience and poor options for almost the same price. The CRV isn't bad, but I guess the question is are you actually looking for a sedan with higher ceilings or something that actually has reasonable capabilities as an SUV?

koljec_sl

shitlord
Thanks Palum, I'll give that a shot. I hadn't honestly considered having to special order the car and what the implications would be, at the time. I won't lose any sleep over it, but it's sounding like a not inexpensive lesson.
How did the GTI pan out?

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Early build issues and the ubiquitous problems with the ZF 9 speed aside, I love my new Cherokee Trailhawk. It's very versatile for a CUV/small SUV- I mean ffs you get a 1:56 rock crawl gear and a rear locking differential lol.

I tired a Rav4, Escape and Soul out and price per value they just didn't compare at all to the TH. The cockpit is amazing, the stop and go ACC is a pleasure to drive with in commute traffic and when some asshole bungs up the entire freeway I have A/T tires, 8" ground clearance, 4x4 low range and skid plates to bail over the median separating the freeway from the exit ramp while the cop just shrugs at all the old people in sedans whining out their window that country kitchen buffet is closing soon. Oh and I can actually tow 4500 lbs.

Cherokee eats Rav4 for breakfast in every way, it's just far more capable than the current gen Escape and the Soul for all it's kitsch had a mediocre driving experience and poor options for almost the same price. The CRV isn't bad, but I guess the question is are you actually looking for a sedan with higher ceilings or something that actually has reasonable capabilities as an SUV?
6'4" so ceilings are nice, I don't plan on doing a lot of offroading or median hopping in it
smile.png

Being in Denver, ideally something a bit larger, more cargo capacity (hauling a lot of lumber/tools for DIY projects that don't fit in a camry) and safe driving when the weather goes from 75 to blizzard and back.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, this may be relevant up in CO, it also does this:

Fords water up to 20" as long as you keep 5 mph.

Assuming you are staying out of the luxury market I think it kind of looks like this for small SUVs based upon my tire kicking and price points:

True body on frame: Nissan xTerra (it's the only one left)
Sportscar handling: Nissan Juke
Soccer Mom: Ford Escape or Honda CRV
Big car: Honda HRV
Hip car: Kia Soul or Jeep Renegade
Best small unibody SUV (emphasis on utility): Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

I'm a bit biased as I own one and I value moderate off-road capability having grown up in the 'back woods' where tons of snow, washed out roads and piles of small tree branches after a storm were common, so take my words with a grain of salt of course and test drive the ones that seem interesting. However, to me the fact that it can do Moab, I can put rock rails on and take a hi-lift jack with me and never get stuck anywhere a non-rock-crawling-equipped Wrangler should go means a lot. I personally don't see the value in the non-Trailhawks quite as much because you are losing all the capabilities and it becomes far more comparable to other options in the segment. Plus, it's cool driving up in a more command position like a real SUV vs car height like most crossovers these days.

FYI, I got mine almost completely loaded for 33K even though MSRP was around 38.5K on it.

One other car you may want to look into is the new Mazda CX3 as a replacement for the Juke on my list above. It looks pretty cool, but again, sporty big car not utility vehicle.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Palum, for everything you listed I love my Land Rover LR4 (Discovery 4). The only issue is the price creep on them has been kinda nuts. 2013 was the last year they used the 5.0L V8, so their used prices have basically stuck. My truck is nearly 2 years old, but has only lost about 5-8k off of it's $55k MSRP. Wades about 28 inches of water at any speed. The side vents on the fenders are not aesthetics, they are actually the air intakes. (Water pushes upwards in front of vehicles in motion and traditionally all put their intake up front). Also has sealed alternator, sealed AC compressor, etc. It has 5 modes of Terrain Response, two locking diffs, an air suspension that can raise and lower the vehicle by 4 inches on demand. It tows 7700 lbs. The truck also has true 7 seat capability. The rear fold up / down seats can sit adults comfortably, not designed for children and midgets.

The truck is an absolute beast though and weighs 5,600 lbs. This is due to it's body frame design of a monocoque mated to a traditional ladder frame. Makes the thing bulletproof off road. You also need to invest in a set of real off-road tires. They come with some shitty Continentals that are 90% road oriented to try and bring MPG ratings up. Speaking of which, MPG is terrible due to the weight. I think I average 15 mpg combined. Newer super charged V6 (2014+ models)might get you 1 or 2 MPG better, but you lose both HP and Torque.

Reliability has been great for the 2012+ LR4. I have a 5 year warranty and after 2 years, the only thing it has needed is a new battery. It's been perfect otherwise. It's certainly a bit pricier than the trucks you listed, but it offers a hell of a lot more in terms of real world off-road pedigree and luxury.

rrr_img_102362.jpg

rrr_img_102363.jpg