Car Buying Help

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Being in Denver, ideally something a bit larger, more cargo capacity (hauling a lot of lumber/tools for DIY projects that don't fit in a camry) and safe driving when the weather goes from 75 to blizzard and back.
I thought CO was a Suburu state? Forrester no good?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
LRs are great, but again they're just a different price category. I think you get 90% of a LR for 50% of the price in other vehicles.

Subaru reminds me:

Ecoterrorist wagon- Subaru Crosstek Hybrid

Subarus are good but they really lag behind in fit and finish as well as technology. If you've never driven with half your car rattling apart, you've never driven a Subaru. I still think the WRX is one of the best performance buys on the market but I'm not sure what the wagons and fatwagons (Forrester) niche is now that CUVs have exploded and almost every one offers AWD.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
+1 to earlier stuff about try a GTI or if have extra money to blow for no reason the R's. I've started needing/wanting the truck space, but until then, the space in a GTI is insane. (R32 for me), I've slept in the back, hauled set of wheel/tires. Interior is amazing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well I consider 3/5 doors a different segment than CUVs/crossovers, but to be fair shit like the HRV blurring the line anyway.

Golf/GTI, Focus ST, Mazda 3 and WRX 5 door are all plenty viable and fun choices if you are looking for a sedan with cargo volume.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Well I consider 3/5 doors a different segment than CUVs/crossovers, but to be fair shit like the HRV blurring the line anyway.

Golf/GTI, Focus ST, Mazda 3 and WRX 5 door are all plenty viable and fun choices if you are looking for a sedan with cargo volume.
I am one week in with my GTI and love it. I traded in a Mazda 3 to get it, and I also read up on/considered the ST and WRX.

Mazda3 pluses:most efficient combustion engine money can buy getting 30/40. handles very well. can get a fully loaded car for a very good price. not quite lexus comfortable, but comfortable. elegant design. reliable. Bose sound system is pretty decent.
Mazda3 Minuses:zoom-zoom presently means driving a slow car fast. it could be quieter inside the cabin. it sounds like the engine is laboring more than it should. you will want it to zoom more. not sure what resale value will be like.
verdict:wait for the speed3 or whatever's next if you care about performance.

GTI pluses:0-60 in 5.8 stock, 4.8 with a $700 ecu upgradewith no loss of mileage. handles even better than the Mazda 3, especially in sport mode. the interior on the SE and higher is really nice. the sunroof is the best, works better than any other sunroof i've had. the car is straight up fun and faster than most cars on the road. farvergnugen. automatic is as good/better than manual. Fender sound system rocks.
GTI minuses:turbo 2.0 makes it less efficient than the mazda at something like 26/32 (but this is actually really good considering the performance gains). needs 91 or 93 octane. boxy design (if you don't like that). potential reliability issues and more costly repairs. stock austin wheels are easily scratched. will probably need a set of winter wheels and tires.
verdict:newly biased, but test drive it, and the car will speak for itself.

WRX pluses:slightly faster stock than the GTI. awd for surer footing (although the GTI has a Performance package option that gives it reportedly exceptional cornering, too). handles very well. lower cost of maintenance. probably decent resale value.
WRX minuses:automatic only available in CVT!!! mileage not as good as the GTI. cheaper interior than GTI. absolutely worthless nav (get it aftermarket on subarus in general). not really sure of the point of the STI. not as efficient as the GTI, recommended premium fuel.

ST pluses:fast, less expensive than the others.
ST minuses:only available in manual, i still don't trust Ford or american auto company cars. looks cheap to me.
verdict/disclosure:I didn't spend as much time with this one. i am not into modern american cars. can't fairly say.

Best advice at this time: buy a GTI SE with performance package. Buy the APR ECU upgrade. Altogether you will have a 300hp/370tq 0-60 in sub 5-second hatch with a lot of comfort and amenities and efficiency for around $30,000.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Anyone have some thoughts on a Toyota Rav4 vs. Honda's CRV? Likely 2014/2015 is what I'm looking at and liked driving both, but really disliked the spare tire being on the back of the car (personally think it looks ridiculous).

Apart from that they are pretty similar, but how do they compare for maintenance/fixability? Currently driving a 2002 Toyota Camry but giving it to a family member as I need something with more space in it.

Looking at ratings online, consistent thoughts are the CRV is top 3-4 and Rav4 was down at the 13-14 range for overall crossover/suv's but not sure if that's accurate entirely.
Camrys are bigger than both the CRV and Rav4. Don't be an SUV wannabe, pretending you "need the space" or "its for the kids" when the small-sedan sized SUV you're looking at is smaller than your current midsize sedan. Shop smarter than that man!

koljec_sl

shitlord

I am one week in with my GTI and love it. I traded in a Mazda 3 to get it, and I also read up on/considered the ST and WRX.

Mazda3 pluses:most efficient combustion engine money can buy getting 30/40. handles very well. can get a fully loaded car for a very good price. not quite lexus comfortable, but comfortable. elegant design. reliable. Bose sound system is pretty decent.
Mazda3 Minuses:zoom-zoom presently means driving a slow car fast. it could be quieter inside the cabin. it sounds like the engine is laboring more than it should. you will want it to zoom more. not sure what resale value will be like.
verdict:wait for the speed3 or whatever's next if you care about performance.

GTI pluses:0-60 in 5.8 stock, 4.8 with a $700 ecu upgradewith no loss of mileage. handles even better than the Mazda 3, especially in sport mode. the interior on the SE and higher is really nice. the sunroof is the best, works better than any other sunroof i've had. the car is straight up fun and faster than most cars on the road. farvergnugen. automatic is as good/better than manual. Fender sound system rocks.
GTI minuses:turbo 2.0 makes it less efficient than the mazda at something like 26/32 (but this is actually really good considering the performance gains). needs 91 or 93 octane. boxy design (if you don't like that). potential reliability issues and more costly repairs. stock austin wheels are easily scratched. will probably need a set of winter wheels and tires.
verdict:newly biased, but test drive it, and the car will speak for itself.

WRX pluses:slightly faster stock than the GTI. awd for surer footing (although the GTI has a Performance package option that gives it reportedly exceptional cornering, too). handles very well. lower cost of maintenance. probably decent resale value.
WRX minuses:automatic only available in CVT!!! mileage not as good as the GTI. cheaper interior than GTI. absolutely worthless nav (get it aftermarket on subarus in general). not really sure of the point of the STI. not as efficient as the GTI, recommended premium fuel.
verdict:I like it, but I couldn't get the price point and configuration that I wanted. I wanted an auto-stick, and there are some disturbing anecdotes about subaru CVTs once they hit high mileage.

ST pluses:fast, less expensive than the others.
ST minuses:only available in manual, i still don't trust Ford or american auto company cars. looks cheap to me.
verdict/disclosure:I didn't spend as much time with this one. i am not into modern american sports cars. can't fairly say.

Best advice at this time: buy a GTI SE with performance package. Buy the APR ECU upgrade. Altogether you will have a 300hp/370tq 0-60 in sub 5-second hatch with a lot of comfort and amenities and efficiency for around $30,000. It's my alternative to the bmw clownshoe.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The WRX recommends premium because it is turbo charged, yeah? I'm considering a WRX probably for my next car. I need something that can fit the dog, dog crate and luggage but is also somewhat interesting to drive. AWD being a big plus since central Ohio is a nightmare in winter.

koljec_sl

shitlord
The WRX recommends premium because it is turbo charged, yeah? I'm considering a WRX probably for my next car. I need something that can fit the dog, dog crate and luggage but is also somewhat interesting to drive. AWD being a big plus since central Ohio is a nightmare in winter.
Yeah, the turbo craves the higher octane.

I liked the WRX when I test drove it. Just couldn't get the price/configuration I wanted.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah, the turbo craves the higher octane.

I liked the WRX when I test drove it. Just couldn't get the price/configuration I wanted.
I do <3 my WRX STI. What was the configuration you were looking for the WRX? In the Boston area there are about 80 billion of them on lots due to them being so popular.

The WRX also doesn't recommend premium. It requires it...

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
From my limited research it didn't appear like the STI package offered enough bang for the buck

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I do <3 my WRX STI. What was the configuration you were looking for the WRX? In the Boston area there are about 80 billion of them on lots due to them being so popular.

There's 3 people in my immediate radius at work that talk non-stop about their WRX's.. annoying shit

Vinen

God is dead
Oh yeah your car uses premium we're all super impressed.
My Used 2006 Subaru WRX STI! Super impressive /getting what I deserve

Just stating anything other then Premium will damage the engine. There is no "recommended" unless you don't mind killing your car.

koljec_sl

shitlord

I wanted a WRX Premium w/ CVT. Eventually I reconsidered because of some strange CVT stories and a lot of the dealerships in Southeastern PA still claim the WRX is a rare in-demand car and expect full MSRP for it.

I'm not against stick, btw. Auto is so I can tolerate stop and go traffic and my wife can drive the car if she needs to.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
There's 3 people in my immediate radius at work that talk non-stop about their WRX's.. annoying shit
Subaru people are super passionate about Subarus. They use this irrational exuberance to cover the cars shortcomings.
smile.png

Vinen

God is dead
Subaru people are super passionate about Subarus. They use this irrational exuberance to cover the cars shortcomings.
smile.png
lol. In my townhouse complex there are 4 Subaru's

Then again we live in MA. I would not own a Subaru if I lived anywhere without a real Winter.

Their main pro is that they are AWD. (Them and Audi)

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
I wanted a WRX Premium w/ CVT. Eventually I reconsidered because of some strange CVT stories and a lot of the dealerships in Southeastern PA still claim the WRX is a rare in-demand car and expect full MSRP for it.

I'm not against stick, btw. Auto is so I can tolerate stop and go traffic and my wife can drive the car if she needs to.
I drive a 2015 WRX w/ CVT. What are these issues? Did have a check engine light come on before hitting 5k miles though.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
That wing they put on the WRX looks retarded imho. It's one step up from the dude that bolts a bookshelf to the back of his civic. Subarus are good quality cars, but I'd go for the GTI simply on internal/external aesthetics. The WRX is just a mid-range ricer for those that live in wintry climes.