Car Buying Help

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So real talk bros. I got in a head on collision when I went out to get a cup of coffee on Sunday with an illegal alien in a company owned work van. I am physically uninjured, I got out of my car and helped the guy get out of his car. I told him, in Spanish, I was calling the police and he no joke sprinted off into the forest. This was at like 5AM. Dude swerved into my lane and I had no way to escape it. This was going at like 45-50MPH like half a mile from my house. I am 100% not at fault and the Sheriff recorded all of that.

I drove a 2006 Kia Sorento that I really liked and took good care of. It would have guaranteed lasted me another ten years and I am extremely extremely salty about it. It was a manual with 4wd/4doors/etc.

The company car was insured, but I have absolutely NO idea how much I am going to get. I had had my Kia paid off for like 7 years am not looking forward to another car payment if I can avoid it. So the goal is to get a used car in some modest price range because I don't like wasting money on dumb shit.

Bothers me how attached I was to that car. I miss the fucking thing. Anyway, I am looking to get a similar car, any recommendations?

Vinen

God is dead
So real talk bros. I got in a head on collision when I went out to get a cup of coffee on Sunday with an illegal alien in a company owned work van. I am physically uninjured, I got out of my car and helped the guy get out of his car. I told him, in Spanish, I was calling the police and he no joke sprinted off into the forest. This was at like 5AM. Dude swerved into my lane and I had no way to escape it. This was going at like 45-50MPH like half a mile from my house. I am 100% not at fault and the Sheriff recorded all of that.

I drove a 2006 Kia Sorento that I really liked and took good care of. It would have guaranteed lasted me another ten years and I am extremely extremely salty about it. It was a manual with 4wd/4doors/etc.

The company car was insured, but I have absolutely NO idea how much I am going to get. I had had my Kia paid off for like 7 years am not looking forward to another car payment if I can avoid it. So the goal is to get a used car in some modest price range because I don't like wasting money on dumb shit.

Bothers me how attached I was to that car. I miss the fucking thing. Anyway, I am looking to get a similar car, any recommendations?

#theDonald

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

Nobody is allowed to be this emotionally attached to a Kia, especially a 10 year old one fit for the aluminum recycler at your local Kroger.

A 2006 Kia is not going to yield much insurance money, so your choices are limited. The only way you're going to manage not laying out any money if is you get something even worse than you had before, which is not the way to go imho.. Better to lay out *some* money or accept some sort of monthly payment and get yourself something that will last another ten years -- a slightly used Civic or Hyundai maybe.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Nobody is allowed to be this emotionally attached to a Kia, especially a 10 year old one fit for the aluminum recycler at your local Kroger.

A 2006 Kia is not going to yield much insurance money, so your choices are limited. The only way you're going to manage not laying out any money if is you get something even worse than you had before, which is not the way to go imho.. Better to lay out *some* money or accept some sort of monthly payment and get yourself something that will last another ten years -- a slightly used Civic or Hyundai maybe.

I have plenty of money. I'm just cheap as fuck. To clarify.

I had that car for 10 years and took good care of it. Its irrational emotional attachment. Don't judge me. And I mean a similar kind of car. Not a fucking civic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I have plenty of money. I'm just cheap as fuck. To clarify.

I had that car for 10 years and took good care of it. Its irrational emotional attachment. Don't judge me. And I mean a similar kind of car. Not a fucking civic.

All the more reason to pony up *some* cash and get yourself something that will last another 10-15 years than buying another 10 year old POS that might not even last a few because of a myriad of reasons. Pony up 10K, throw in your insurance money, and get a 2-3 year old Civic that is much better than your KIA and will carry you for years to come.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not a fucking civic didn't I just say that? Small SUV like the Sorento was. That care had no problems btw. Like I said. I took good care of it.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Not a fucking civic didn't I just say that? Small SUV like the Sorento was. That care had no problems btw. Like I said. I took good care of it.

Ok, then a CR-V or RAV 4. Get another KIA if you really love them, just don't get something 10 years old. The only reason you buy a 10 year old car is if you're dead broke, or just need a beater for a few years to destroy.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Why not just get another 2006 Sorento? It's not like they're rare or expensive.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Because he had the diamond in the rough Sorento. That shit was taken care of well enough to not be a hazard on the road...That shit is rare. Its a fucking kia. I'm an extremely anal person about my cars. Its my thing. I used to drive a 2012 Kia Forte. ...By 2014 I had a deep rooted hatred for anything that carried that stupid fucking badge. To the point I looked for ways to beat the fucking balls out of it until it blew the fuck up.

Thats the shit Kia's do to rational, sane people. It makes them hate cars. TJT is just one of those people who goes "Well, she's maybe a 5 at best, she's a dead fish during sex and can't stand blowjobs...But I take good care of her so she does do wifely things to a mediocre standard. I mean, there's always dishes in the sink, and I have to do my own laundry...But she kinda does stuff."

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm not nearly so attached or stupid enough to get another 10 yr old car. I just liked that particular one by because I had it for 10 years.

And damn man. You had some bad luck. I never had a problem with mine outside of scheduled maintenance... Not exactly like I'm squeezing performance out of my cars either.

I do work at a major auto manufacturer right now. But I have no particular allegiance to the brand or anything and the discounts we get arent as good as you'd think.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
How much you want to spend. I wouldn't recommend any Kia older than 2008. I have seen some Rav for from 2001 with 50,000km. That shit was so fucked. The engine had mouse nest in it and some leafs from I swear to god a year ago....

Get 2012 Sorento. Those things are solid king. You get into 2014 range and you will cough up $15k minimum with acceptable mileage. 2012 Sorento should get you to $10k.

Good thing is that Sorento is a good size between small SUV and large SUV.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Good thing is that Sorento is a good size between small SUV and large SUV.

That's a huge reason why I got one in the first place 10 years ago. I am 6'3 and I like cars like the Honda Fit... but they're just a bit too small/low to the ground for me.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Get a 2-3 year old Hyundai Tucson.. it is the car you want. Used Toyotas and Hondas are overpriced.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I'm not nearly so attached or stupid enough to get another 10 yr old car. I just liked that particular one by because I had it for 10 years.

And damn man. You had some bad luck. I never had a problem with mine outside of scheduled maintenance... Not exactly like I'm squeezing performance out of my cars either.

I do work at a major auto manufacturer right now. But I have no particular allegiance to the brand or anything and the discounts we get arent as good as you'd think.

No, I get it. It was mostly a joke. I mean, I'm used to driving performance oriented cars, so the kia made my fucking skin crawl every time I got into it....But they are reliable and semi-fuel efficient.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So insurance companies can go fuck themselves. Since the other driver fled the scene on foot and left the car there the police gave me the insurance info from the glove box. I place a claim later that day (Sunday) with my insurance company saying what happened. They tell me to call up the other insurance company so I do and of course the owner says the car was stolen. What a shocker right!?

Their insurance tells me I have to pay up front to have the car delivered to my house because of a need to "mitigate damages/storage costs" while they investigate the stolen car claim. I'm not going to do that, fuck them. Both companies say I am 100% not liable so its just a matter of who has to pay up. Since the car was stolen, supposedly, I have to call up my insurance company again to claim uninsured motorist coverage because if anyone else OTHER than the dude on the policy is driving. I can do that.

Watch them claim they have to catch the guy to prove he isn't the owner who is saying the car is stolen and he didn't know who was driving. Until they prove that they can do nothing! That's what I am expecting today.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
So insurance companies can go fuck themselves. Since the other driver fled the scene on foot and left the car there the police gave me the insurance info from the glove box. I place a claim later that day (Sunday) with my insurance company saying what happened. They tell me to call up the other insurance company so I do and of course the owner says the car was stolen. What a shocker right!?

Their insurance tells me I have to pay up front to have the car delivered to my house because of a need to "mitigate damages/storage costs" while they investigate the stolen car claim. I'm not going to do that, fuck them. Both companies say I am 100% not liable so its just a matter of who has to pay up. Since the car was stolen, supposedly, I have to call up my insurance company again to claim uninsured motorist coverage because if anyone else OTHER than the dude on the policy is driving. I can do that.

Watch them claim they have to catch the guy to prove he isn't the owner who is saying the car is stolen and he didn't know who was driving. Until they prove that they can do nothing! That's what I am expecting today.

I once had an insurance company tell me its my fault because a illegal immigrant without a drivers license hit me with a mustang. He merged over and my front quarter hit his back quarter. That was the only determining factor. I think the fuckers didn't want to try to track him down. It was an old car and I didn't particularly care but it contributes to my insurance company hatred. Not once have they ever "helped" me in any way. And by law I have to pay them money.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Make a claim under your comprehensive policy, pay the deductible, and let your insurance company pursue the claim with the other company. When they collect from the other company they'll refund your deductible.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I once had an insurance company tell me its my fault because a illegal immigrant without a drivers license hit me with a mustang. He merged over and my front quarter hit his back quarter. That was the only determining factor. I think the fuckers didn't want to try to track him down. It was an old car and I didn't particularly care but it contributes to my insurance company hatred. Not once have they ever "helped" me in any way. And by law I have to pay them money.

Mine is an illegal immigrant most likely without a license who fled the scene of an accident on foot.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Cad Cad really don't like to prod you for legal crap but can you clarify mitigation of damages for me?

So, my car is sitting at the tow yard right now and the claims adjuster for the other car (that was conveniently stolen, of course) says he's sending these out and I am now legally obligated to mitigate damages as much as reasonable.

The form this takes is that I have to get the wreck towed back to my house at cost to me while they sort this out. However long that takes. I really don't want to do that because A. Fuck them and B. Fuck them. Neither company will start shit until they determine who is liable.

So, if I were to say, get a letter from my HOA saying they don't allow inoperable wrecks to sit on the street in my development (it'd be a real one, no bullshit forgery). Will this allow me to force them to keep it there while they deal with this dumb shit?