Car ?'s

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Volvo has consistently been at the bottom of the reliability list for a while. Be mindful.

...coming from the guy driving his second Land Rover
Ahaha thanks! Im gonna skip volvo. That full size touch screen would drive my mom nuts. Hard to beat discovery's oldish style turn knobs and buttons for her.

How long do you usually keep your land rovers? She usually holds cars for 10 years..

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m on my second Discovery 4 (LR4). First was a 2013 that I owned for 5 years in the Middle East and beat the piss out of it. Dune bashing, you name it. Nothing more than consumable parts replaced. It was an absolute gem.

Now I’ve moved to the UK and bought a top spec 2016 Discovery 4 HSE/LUX about 6 months ago, with only 14k miles. I’ve only put about 3k miles on it, but it’s a dream so far.

I’d never touch the new Discovery, simply because it’s out of touch with the Discovery model heritage and massively upscale in luxury and price. The new Defender is far closer to that old Discovery heritage and what would be on my radar if I were in the market. Happy to keep my D4 forever if all goes well.

That’s my LR insight.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I have a 19 year old Camry which is in perfectly serviceable condition (60k miles) except the clear coat is bubbling up on the roof panel. Bad paint job on some repair work a few years back, I'd guess. Getting it done professionally would be 50% of the value of the car, so I'm not going to do that. Research says not to DIY auto paint because it'll peel off again in a few years, but I don't have much to lose here.

Anyone ever done their own auto painting? Thoughts/experience?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
whatever the fuck this is called, Genuine Nissan 25320-AX00C Stop Lamp Switch Assembly

can fuck off, if it's broke it locks abs and locks the car in park

luckily i know how to over ride it, you take off the plastic nub on shift selector and stick a screwdriver down there to undo the lock
52faffa297dc544b1aac013f94de2136.png

(thats why i have 1 screw driver in the glove box of both cars)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I have a 19 year old Camry which is in perfectly serviceable condition (60k miles) except the clear coat is bubbling up on the roof panel. Bad paint job on some repair work a few years back, I'd guess. Getting it done professionally would be 50% of the value of the car, so I'm not going to do that. Research says not to DIY auto paint because it'll peel off again in a few years, but I don't have much to lose here.

I haven't but I'd be weary unless you have access to a booth and someone with the knowledge.

A lot of prep work. Not the answer you're looking for but I wouldn't put money into it. One thing i do know is when paying for a paint job you get what you pay for..

Or consider a wrap. May be able to find wrapping cheaper than paint job.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

It could depend on how big the problem areas are and if they are growing. If they are a bunch of small bubbles, you might be able to do something with them, that doesn't involve a whole panel respray. Finding solutions to these types of things, is one thing Youtube is good for, but it could take some searching.

For larger problems, or if you think the whole panel is going to need a re-shoot, eventually, there are two cheap-ish solutions (when compared with a high quality paint job) that might work:

($300 - $1500) First option would be a combo of your work and a shop like Maaco. A major cost of good auto paint work is the prep and good prep work is a major component in a good paint job. If you are willing to do the prep work of sanding, sanding, and more sanding, you might be able to take it to a cheap place like Maaco to get the paint and clear sprayed. Good auto paint is rather expensive and the "cheap" paint still isn't that cheap, but I would guess that the stuff that Maaco uses should last ~10 years, if you do proper prep. There are a lot of videos on how to prep your car for paint on Youtube. The price range is what a quick search gave me on the net and one would think a single panel with little prep (on their end) would be in the $300 range.​
(Whole car $400 - $700) Second option is a fairly easy, reversible, non-damaging paint, called PlastiDip. It takes a bunch of flak, but for a certain price point and effort, it's a viable option. As the name implies, it is a plastic paint that you just shoot over your existing paint. If done correctly, you can peal it off, if you don't like it. Price wise, for this, I would think you would want to spray the whole car, because the colors wont match (although, people do paint their roofs different colors, now days). So you would need a spray gun, ~3-6 gallons of Plastidip, and a garage to shoot in. You can buy rattle cans of black at the hardware stores just to test it, if you want. The below Youtube channel has the best How-to videos I have seen for it, along with a bunch of cars they have done. They sell it by the gallon, so it's in their best interest to have people apply it correctly, and advertise for them.​

I have used Plastidip on the bottom of my aftermarket bumper for ~6 years, because it is easier to cover scrapes, doesn't cost much, reversible, and looks fine, for what I need it for. There were enough scuffs on it, that I did a complete re-shoot the last time I had the bumper off, a couple years ago. It pealed off easy and left no lasting marks on the underlying paint.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

Car buying is aids. Id honestly pay a headhunter to do this for me. Car isn't even for me.

Working two deals now

Sorry it's late... But there are head hunter car services for new and used. You say your conditions and price and they do the dealing and getting their cut into the fees - usually there is a few hundred up front.

But if you say 2020 discovery this color 75k new... they will go out, get it for 72, pocket the 3k and there you go.

My old boss used one for her husband's A4 and was very happy having looked for months.

I was about to call her and get the info for my XC90 till I hit the one I got.

What LR dealer is taking your chain in FL? There are 2 within spitting distance here, I bet one would go with invoice otd cash...

And yeah, New cars make $$ each sale regardless of sale price as kickback from the dealer...if they say they don't, they are 100% bullshitting

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Sorry it's late... But there are head hunter car services for new and used. You say your conditions and price and they do the dealing and getting their cut into the fees - usually there is a few hundred up front.

But if you say 2020 discovery this color 75k new... they will go out, get it for 72, pocket the 3k and there you go.

My old boss used one for her husband's A4 and was very happy having looked for months.

I was about to call her and get the info for my XC90 till I hit the one I got.

What LR dealer is taking your chain in FL? There are 2 within spitting distance here, I bet one would go with invoice otd cash...

And yeah, New cars make $$ each sale regardless of sale price as kickback from the dealer...if they say they don't, they are 100% bullshitting
Honestly after talking with someone about it today just gonna cave and not get as great of a deal. Just gonna get exactly what she wants. Mom has the money for it and at this point it's costing my precious time. 🤷‍♂️

Siliconemelons

Ahaha thanks! Im gonna skip volvo. That full size touch screen would drive my mom nuts. Hard to beat discovery's oldish style turn knobs and buttons for her.

How long do you usually keep your land rovers? She usually holds cars for 10 years..

Thought she already didn't want a Volvo because of her last seat belt issue.

Having used Nissan, Honda, Toyota and Ford's latest infotainment systems I can tell you...as far as ease of use... volvo's sensus UI is the best... then Nissan single screen system- their 2 screen system is still playing catchup to Honda (acuras) and Acura already ditched 2 screen and moved back to one + knobs

Honestly after talking with someone about it today just gonna cave and not get as great of a deal. Just gonna get exactly what she wants. Mom has the money for it and at this point it's costing my precious time. 🤷‍♂️

I would buy it from another dealer just to spite the one. :)

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Thought she already didn't want a Volvo because of her last seat belt issue.

Having used Nissan, Honda, Toyota and Ford's latest infotainment systems I can tell you...as far as ease of use... volvo's sensus UI is the best... then Nissan single screen system- their 2 screen system is still playing catchup to Honda (acuras) and Acura already ditched 2 screen and moved back to one + knobs

I would buy it from another dealer just to spite the one. :)
Eh im doing that to the local one who was really trying to fuck me over. Otherwise they're all the same. The local dealer salesmen were fuckwads. Hell my female friend went in to buy her car, left disgusted and ordered one from another dealer 😂

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Fuck car buying. Especially fuck doing it for someone else. Closing today. Deal sucks but fuck it I've spent so much time on it and it's not my money. Sourced the vehicle from some no name state way up north. Pretty rustled rn.

• 1Worf

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
New Bronco is out, really like it. Like it so much, in fact, I put down a pre-order for one this morning. Will keep thread updated. Was going to buy a new Defender, but I don't love the styling and they are asking far too much for those.

Guess it's time to sell my Boxster and get a different kind of toy as I never drive the Porsche anymore #dadlife....

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New Bronco is out, really like it. Like it so much, in fact, I put down a pre-order for one this morning. Will keep thread updated. Was going to buy a new Defender, but I don't love the styling and they are asking far too much for those.

Guess it's time to sell my Boxster and get a different kind of toy as I never drive the Porsche anymore #dadlife....

I want one too. But, I just saw the price on the Ford website: $49,000 (starting) for the model I think I'd pick. Holy shit man.

Big engine can only be had with the automatic transmission. Well....never mind then.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I want one too. But, I just saw the price on the Ford website: $49,000 (starting) for the model I think I'd pick. Holy shit man.

Big engine can only be had with the automatic transmission. Well....never mind then.

I preordered 2dr with the 6 cyl and ya, only auto. It’s like mid 40s. My brother probably gonna order a cheap one with the sequoia pack and it’ll be under40 I bet

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Hell ya. Tell me you went four door? Keep us updated, curious to see how it pans out. If all those features work as intended ill be impressed.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've got 4 preorders in now actually, hahaha. 2 2dr (my preference), 2 4dr's (my wifes, for the kiddos). Will be interested to see how much/if any dealers are willing to deal on these or if these retards actually think people will be willing to pay full MSRP/over MSRP because its new. If none are willing to throw in TTL or discounts I'm gonna bail. These are high volume cars, if Porsche & BMW discount me on custom orders, Ford fucking better as well. I guess how it works is, once the build site is live the dealers will all reach out and we'll go over the build/pricing and lock it in. Sounds like you'll get a VIN pretty shortly after that. 2 orders here in OKC, another 2 down in DFW. Got a feeling the DFW guys will deal, and the Okie dealers won't but we'll see. Not out until Spring anyway so no rush.

Most anxious to drive one, particularly with the 6cyl to see how much giddy up it has on normal roads.

Siliconemelons

I've got 4 preorders in now actually, hahaha. 2 2dr (my preference), 2 4dr's (my wifes, for the kiddos). Will be interested to see how much/if any dealers are willing to deal on these or if these retards actually think people will be willing to pay full MSRP/over MSRP because its new. If none are willing to throw in TTL or discounts I'm gonna bail. These are high volume cars, if Porsche & BMW discount me on custom orders, Ford fucking better as well. I guess how it works is, once the build site is live the dealers will all reach out and we'll go over the build/pricing and lock it in. Sounds like you'll get a VIN pretty shortly after that. 2 orders here in OKC, another 2 down in DFW. Got a feeling the DFW guys will deal, and the Okie dealers won't but we'll see. Not out until Spring anyway so no rush.

Most anxious to drive one, particularly with the 6cyl to see how much giddy up it has on normal roads.

You will be surprised how retarded normal tier dealers can be on pre-orders or order vs on lot... being large volume sometimes puts them in "eh it will just sell in an hour or whatever once it's on the lot" mode.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya, this will come off lame as feck but I haven't purchased a "normie" (non German) car in a long time - last was a GMC pickup and the dealer was really good and gave me a nice discount. I suspect you will be right, and if that ends up being the case I'll wait until next summer or fall when they start flooding lots across the country.