Car ?'s

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Hyundai/Kia are not the crap cars they were 20 yrs ago. Girlfriend has a 2012 Accent she got used with 35k on it, has put another 100k on it with only minimal maintenance. And from being underneath it I can vouch for the quality of materials and coatings. We're in New England and there is minimal surface rust on the exhaust and some of the uncoated stamped steel suspension parts. Everything else is pristine. This is the benefit of being a Steel manufacturer you can self-source the best materials.

When I needed a new car end of 2018 our experience with her car, versus my shit experience with my Nissan that dropped a thrust bearing out of the motor at 96k. This drove (haha) me in the direction of getting a Hyundai. I would argue they are still a level below Toyota and Honda as far as absolute quality. However, they are totally in line with the other Japanese automakers, except for having a much better value proposition.

I got a 2018 Elantra GT Sport with 15k, I've put another 15k on it and I love it. It's not a hot hatch, but its a warm hatch. I'd love a Veloster N but I'm not dealing with the weird layout. Just need them to bring over the i30N with AWD and I will trade in, in a heartbeat.
Telluride is a good looking suv. Theyve upped their game no doubt

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My other car is a 2016 Kia Sorento.

I'm collecting all Korean SUVs like infinity stones.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

Telluride is a good looking suv. Theyve upped their game no doubt

I always think it's funny the car mags rate the Telluride over the Pallisaide... it's like "the Chevy is better than the Cadilac"

But, apparently they are more than badge replacements etc. Between the two.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I always think it's funny the car mags rate the Telluride over the Pallisaide... it's like "the Chevy is better than the Cadilac"

But, apparently they are more than badge replacements etc. Between the two.
Only thing is i wish it had a v6 turbo engine option or something

Siliconemelons

Only thing is i wish it had a v6 turbo engine option or something

The XC90 is my first super/turboed anything car... everything I have driven has been a i4, i6 or v6 with no augmentation... for a standard, comfortable, luxary or other NON SPORT(Y) type SUV- I honestly do not know why its needed... I have not gotten a good explanation from anyone why for instance, the XC90 is a super/turbo i4 vs. a traditional V6...

But maybe I just do not get it... I would rather have /less things/ to break than a few more HP... again I compare the QX60 v6 and XC90 i4 s/t... they both get about the same MPG...they both "feel" the same in passing, off the line etc.. you push them they go if you want...

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
The XC90 is my first super/turboed anything car... everything I have driven has been a i4, i6 or v6 with no augmentation... for a standard, comfortable, luxary or other NON SPORT(Y) type SUV- I honestly do not know why its needed... I have not gotten a good explanation from anyone why for instance, the XC90 is a super/turbo i4 vs. a traditional V6...

But maybe I just do not get it... I would rather have /less things/ to break than a few more HP... again I compare the QX60 v6 and XC90 i4 s/t... they both get about the same MPG...they both "feel" the same in passing, off the line etc.. you push them they go if you want...
I get you. I dont know why that xc90 is turbod and not a NA v6 for its power output. It does seem a bit odd.... Maybe I'm spoiled but generally if the suv cant make it 0-60 in under 6.5 seconds i write it off my list. I'd prefer a na v6 pushing 340-360hp.

Turbo may just be for better gas mileage.

Siliconemelons

I get you. I dont know why that xc90 is turbod and not a NA v6 for its power output. It does seem a bit odd.... Maybe I'm spoiled but generally if the suv cant make it 0-60 in under 6.5 seconds i write it off my list. I'd prefer a na v6 pushing 340-360hp.

Turbo may just be for better gas mileage.

I mean its fast...if I want it to be... perhaps "faster" than the QX but that is still rocking the ancient Nissan 3.5 not the 3.8...because...Nissan reasons? The 3.5 is a solid as heck power plant, but the 3.8 has been around long enough that it really should have phased out the 3.5 in any application- but on the other hand, I am sure they do not have a "good performance" motor laying around and if everything had the 3.8 then they could not really justify the premium between some models.

I have not really pushed it off the line, maybe I should... put it into "Polestar" mode whatever that is, and see what it does.

Edit: apparently my XC90 has had the "Polestar" upgrade as it should have "Dynamic" as my standard drive mode option but that's been replaced and I have "Polestar Performance"... okay, that is cool I suppose :)

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

A lot is regulated by European emissions and taxes. Smaller engines with forced induction saves the consumer (and the manufacturer) considerable cost due to regulations. So, rather than make one version for the EU and one for the US, they make a single version to save costs in development and manufacturing.

In many cases a smaller boosted engine gets better mileage, pound for pound. But, when it's put into a 2 ton SUV it has to work harder so that isn't always the case.

Siliconemelons

A lot is regulated by European emissions and taxes. Smaller engines with forced induction saves the consumer (and the manufacturer) considerable cost due to regulations. So, rather than make one version for the EU and one for the US, they make a single version to save costs in development and manufacturing.

In many cases a smaller boosted engine gets better mileage, pound for pound. But, when it's put into a 2 ton SUV it has to work harder so that isn't always the case.

Ahh gotcha... yeah... this is my first Euro car... wait... well I did have a 1984 380SL Mercedes, so that one counts... it had the funny floor pivot mounted gas pedal also...so strange going back and forth with those.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If one pays off their car loan, does insurance typically go down since there is no longer a lien on it?

Depending on what your credit report looks like, paying it off might help your credit a bit (if it was your only debt, paying it off can causes you to have no "credit utilization" and hurt your score a bit, though). Your credit score affects your insurance premium, afaik. So, if you were, for example, a 738 (tier-B) when you got your insurance, and now you are a 744 (top tier), you may get a better price, if you shop around for new insurance.

Disclaimer:
It seems that, if you live in Massachusetts, Hawaii, or California, the practice of using credit scores for insurance premiums has been banned.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If one pays off their car loan, does insurance typically go down since there is no longer a lien on it?

No. Only you would lower the cost by reducing your coverage based on the depreciated value of the car over time.

Dunnhopen

Trakanon Raider
biggest difference is that checks are made to you when damages are paid out from insurance instead of making sure the lien is taken care of or if repairs are done the check comes to you or shop you choose.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

you can finally switch to liability insurance after paying it off instead of being forced to carry full coverage and save some cash that way

thats about it.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Tldr: local dealer is trying to fuck me hard on a land rover disco demo vehicle.

Anyone ever bought a NEW car from a dealer out of state? Literally thinking of just shopping it across the u.s. and dropping cash offers ready to wire the money.

Hesitant to pay without seeing car first but.. 🤷‍♂️

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Tldr: local dealer is trying to fuck me hard on a land rover disco demo vehicle.

Anyone ever bought a NEW car from a dealer out of state? Literally thinking of just shopping it across the u.s. and dropping cash offers ready to wire the money.

Yes, multiple times.

#1: Dont ever buy a demo or dealer car if youre buying "new".
#2: Tell your mom to pick out the colors and all that stuff she wants and order it. You can do this online/phone or in person! Once a price comes up, have your mom talk to her financial advisor and he will cut them a check for $72,419. Once that check arrives she will get a car dropped off at her door in a few days to a few weeks! Vroom Vroom.

If the car is messed up upon delivery, find a new company to buy a car from.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I got an M4 new, out of state. There was more supply than demand at the time and it was in a fun color (IE, not white or gray which is all the sheep want). Negotiated 11% off list, paid $450 to have them drive it from central CA to TX, paid the tax at the DMV and I was done. Car was fine cosmetically and I wasn't worried about the rest since it was under warranty.

With the exception of the new Defender, there are NO LR/RR products in demand that are causing prices to hold. 8-12% off all day.

• 1Like