Car ?'s

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With the exception of the new Defender, there are NO LR/RR products in demand that are causing prices to hold. 8-12% off all day.
Especially the new Discovery. It’s by far their worst selling model.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I got an M4 new, out of state. There was more supply than demand at the time and it was in a fun color (IE, not white or gray which is all the sheep want). Negotiated 11% off list, paid $450 to have them drive it from central CA to TX, paid the tax at the DMV and I was done. Car was fine cosmetically and I wasn't worried about the rest since it was under warranty.

With the exception of the new Defender, there are NO LR/RR products in demand that are causing prices to hold. 8-12% off all day.
Yeah. This dude at local dealer is trying to buttfuck me so hard. Searched through the u.s. and have 10 potentials now. Crazy deals in cali.

Currently msrp on one I'm looking at is 68.5k. I know theres a 2k cash rebate right now. Wondering if offering 65k cash for car, tax title fees etc out the door is even too much.

Jysin Jysin any input?

Screenshot_20200625-102110_Brave-01.jpeg

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would negotiate harder. They are all feeling the pinch with the lack of covid sales. Worst they say is no. You're on the right track with a nationwide hunt!

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I would negotiate harder. They are all feeling the pinch with the lack of covid sales. Worst they say is no. You're on the right track with a nationwide hunt!
Think i may start below invoice for out the door and delivered. 62.5k

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Offer invoice, but no more. At invoice they still have "hold back" and they get sales credits, so there is profit for them. Invoice first, then the rebate on top (which is not from the dealer's pocket either) and you've got a deal. Keep in mind though, taxes between states are all different. If you buy out of state you will not be paying sales tax for the vehicle from the purchasing state and it will not be rolled into your loan, as most purchases are structured - another reason why you want the lowest price. When you take possession of the car you will have to stroke a check to your state for the sales tax (in most cases) and here in TX that amounts to 6.25%, which is what I gave the state when registering the car; almost $4k. So, keep that in mind with your decisions because that's probably going to be all out of pocket.

Also, "cash" isn't necessarily appealing to dealers. They get kick-backs from lenders/manufacturers when a client finances, which makes them more likely to drop prices.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...Also, "cash" isn't necessarily appealing to dealers. They get kick-backs from lenders/manufacturers when a client finances, which makes them more likely to drop prices.

This is true, but lending requirements have tightened up since covid. I think they will be happy with what they can get. It's a buyer's market out there, on top of the fact he's interested in their least selling model, the Discovery.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Car buying is aids. Id honestly pay a headhunter to do this for me. Car isn't even for me.

Working two deals now

AngelaDavies

<Banned>
Currently, I have a Toyota Auris 2018, perfect for family, friendly-use. My first car as a familist lol..I used to drive Ford Mustang, Audi A5, but these cars are not family-friendly... you know. ok, I'm not satisfied with this one so much but ..because of a lack of money. That is why I bought it with a personal contract agreement. A friend in need is a friend indeed..so my best friend recommended Money Expert as the best solution for my financial problems. The disadvantage is that I don't own the car during the agreement, so I can't do what you like with it.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Tldr: local dealer is trying to fuck me hard on a land rover disco demo vehicle.

Anyone ever bought a NEW car from a dealer out of state? Literally thinking of just shopping it across the u.s. and dropping cash offers ready to wire the money.

Hesitant to pay without seeing car first but.. 🤷‍♂️

Many times - the Porsche and BMW dealerships in Texas ALWAYS have $5k+ difference and are willing to deal and play ball. Have had 3 cars driven up to OKC to my house and the dealer has driven the cars back

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
All 2 deals fell through today. These fuckers want to sell me msrp, take a 2k cash rebate off and have me pay shipping and call it a deal.

One sales manager tried to tell me he couldn't go lower due to supply and demand.

Me - "you're saying you have a lack of supply of discoveries?"

Manager - " yeah i mean i could even look it up for you"

Me - " You dont have to there's exactly 93 grey ones in the u.s. Do you consider that not a lot?"

Manager - " I dont, i used to work at a toyota dealer and we'd have 300 camries on the lot"

Dude gtfo. Nice false equivalence. Lemme see the last time a LR dealer stocked 300 discoveries on lot. Get fucked. I'm not gonna pay msrp + shipping and get a 2k rebate like you're doing me a fucking favor. Dude tried to make a big deal about Florida's taxes yet south Carolina, where his dealer is, is the exact same...

I have about 6 more potential cars on my list. Maybe i need to wait another month to see if dealers need to feel more economic pain?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Many times - the Porsche and BMW dealerships in Texas ALWAYS have $5k+ difference and are willing to deal and play ball. Have had 3 cars driven up to OKC to my house and the dealer has driven the cars back
Havent tried a texas dealer. Starting to wonder if dealers in states with high car sales tax (cali 7.5% etc) may give more leeway

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
To clarify - this car is for my mom. I would not personally buy it but shes so fucking picky and her current car is 12 years old so what do you do 🤷‍♂️

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Did someone here say they have a new volvo xc90?

It's one of the few suv's i didnt look at because i heard they use the touch LCD for everything like AC. Mom is older and needs something super intuitive so knobs and buttons usually work best. One of the reason why the land rover is a good fit - it's not that impressive tech wise but has new safety features, perfect for her.

With dealing with these shit dealers im tempted to circle back to the xc90. She's driving a 09 escalade that she loves. New taho/yukon/escalade are supposed to come out this fall but i usually would never buy first year models and price points on them seem way overpriced (although she can pay it)

Genesis gx80 is looking good but also will be a new model.

We didn't look at the infiniti qx80. Maybe its not impressive but maybe it'll fit her needs. I owned an infiniti for 10 years and absolutely loved our local dealer.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did someone here say they have a new volvo xc90?

It's one of the few suv's i didnt look at because i heard they use the touch LCD for everything like AC. Mom is older and needs something super intuitive so knobs and buttons usually work best. One of the reason why the land rover is a good fit - it's not that impressive tech wise but has new safety features, perfect for her.

With dealing with these shit dealers im tempted to circle back to the xc90. She's driving a 09 escalade that she loves. New taho/yukon/escalade are supposed to come out this fall but i usually would never buy first year models and price points on them seem way overpriced (although she can pay it)

Genesis gx80 is looking good but also will be a new model.

We didn't look at the infiniti qx80. Maybe its not impressive but maybe it'll fit her needs. I owned an infiniti for 10 years and absolutely loved our local dealer.

Unfortunately, the chunky controls on the RR/LR trucks are easier to use. Other options won't be as luxurious and I'd personally steer clear of Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. Volvo looks great, is unique and isn't overly expensive. But, it's different and older people don't always like different.

Those dealers can fuck off. They aren't used to being kicked in the nuts on discounts and sales. Well, tough shit if they don't want to adapt to sell something. They will lose money on the space and insurance while shit sits and collects dust. You will always find better deals in larger markets. Simply more inventory available (CA, TX, and it used to be FL too).

Keep in mind: enough though Covid has dropped sales dramatically, it has also dropped inventory for some manufacturers because they shut down plants and reduced or ceased imports. I don't recall who and how much, but reduced inventory is real. Just not for that jackass and his 93 gray Discoveries. Comparing that to Toyota is retarded, but most car salesmen are dumb as shit and bold-faced liars.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately, the chunky controls on the RR/LR trucks are easier to use. Other options won't be as luxurious and I'd personally steer clear of Nissan/Infiniti vehicles. Volvo looks great, is unique and isn't overly expensive. But, it's different and older people don't always like different.

Those dealers can fuck off. They aren't used to being kicked in the nuts on discounts and sales. Well, tough shit if they don't want to adapt to sell something. They will lose money on the space and insurance while shit sits and collects dust. You will always find better deals in larger markets. Simply more inventory available (CA, TX, and it used to be FL too).

Keep in mind: enough though Covid has dropped sales dramatically, it has also dropped inventory for some manufacturers because they shut down plants and reduced or ceased imports. I don't recall who and how much, but reduced inventory is real. Just not for that jackass and his 93 gray Discoveries. Comparing that to Toyota is retarded, but most car salesmen are dumb as shit and bold-faced liars.
Yeah. From my understanding the discovery is made in slovenia and still in production (hell they offered to order me one)

Made an offer today on a vehicle thats been sitting on the lot 6 months. Dude didn't wanna budge on msrp... Told me "what if i sold it to you now and broke even, then i wouldn't have anything on the lot to sell of i started doing that since there's no production."

Lol nice hot take. You'd rather sit on a car that may not sell then take my money now to have capital. You can always cut your costs later or buy from another dealer. If you're stuck with vehicles you're gonna get fucked. 2008 saw a 50% decrease in land rover sales.

Ill give them 2-3 months to feel the pain.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah. From my understanding the discovery is made in slovenia and still in production (hell they offered to order me one)

Made an offer today on a vehicle thats been sitting on the lot 6 months. Dude didn't wanna budge on msrp... Told me "what if i sold it to you now and broke even, then i wouldn't have anything on the lot to sell of i started doing that since there's no production."

Lol nice hot take. You'd rather sit on a car that may not sell then take my money now to have capital. You can always cut your costs later or buy from another dealer. If you're stuck with vehicles you're gonna get fucked. 2008 saw a 50% decrease in land rover sales.

Ill give them 2-3 months to feel the pain.

He actually told you MSRP was breaking even? Mother fucker, 2% UNDER INVOICE is still MORE than breaking even because of hold-backs and OEM payments. Tell him he's raping you verbally and monetarily and you'll post all over the interwebs if he doesn't sell you the vehicle for 12% off.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
He actually told you MSRP was breaking even? Mother fucker, 2% UNDER INVOICE is still MORE than breaking even because of hold-backs and OEM payments. Tell him he's raping you verbally and monetarily and you'll post all over the interwebs if he doesn't sell you the vehicle for 12% off.
Told me 69.5k was break even (tax tag title) due to invoice being about 65.5k (even though kbb and Edmunds say invoice is about 63.5k)

I dunno. I thought 67k out the door was pretty generous and was still over invoice because it includes a 2k cash rebate and i would have still paid shipping.

🤷‍♂️

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Told me 69.5k was break even (tax tag title) due to invoice being about 65.5k (even though kbb and Edmunds say invoice is about 63.5k)

I dunno. I thought 67k out the door was pretty generous and was still over invoice because it includes a 2k cash rebate and i would have still paid shipping.

🤷‍♂️

Fuck him. We haven't bought a car for anything more than invoice in years. The ONLY manufacturer I've run into that will not go that low on certain models is Porsche. Friends and colleagues have gotten Ferraris, Bentleys, Lambos for invoice or less plenty of times (we aren't at that level though, lol). Fucking Land Rover? Our local RR/LR dealer is showing 0.0% financing for 72 months and they have 39 Discoveries in stock. This one isn't gray, but it's $10,000 off msrp: New 2019 Land Rover Discovery For Sale in Houston TX | Stock: NKA081218

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Fuck him. We haven't bought a car for anything more than invoice in years. The ONLY manufacturer I've run into that will not go that low on certain models is Porsche. Friends and colleagues have gotten Ferraris, Bentleys, Lambos for invoice or less plenty of times (we aren't at that level though, lol). Fucking Land Rover? Our local RR/LR dealer is showing 0.0% financing for 72 months and they have 39 Discoveries in stock. This one isn't gray, but it's $10,000 off msrp: New 2019 Land Rover Discovery For Sale in Houston TX | Stock: NKA081218
Yeah. She's very particular on which one she wants which sucks. Ive gotten her to be OK with me two color options and 2 wheel options. Has to have black roof and several other options.

Honestly is aids but it'll be worth it. She keeps cars 10 years. Doubt the disco will make it that long but ill have peace of mind that she has some of those newer tech safety features due to her age.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Volvo has consistently been at the bottom of the reliability list for a while. Be mindful.

...coming from the guy driving his second Land Rover