Car ?'s

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do we need a separate thread to just discuss cars? I know the title of this thread has a ? At the end, but I assumed (perhaps wrongly) this was also a place to discuss cars. Folger's antics notwithstanding of course. If we are only supposed to ask questions here then please create a car "discussion" thread. I personally feel it makes no sense for two car threads when this one only has 50 pages of discussion, but whatever floats everyone's boat.
The what car do you own in ss basically does double duty with this one.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Do we need a separate thread to just discuss cars? I know the title of this thread has a ? At the end, but I assumed (perhaps wrongly) this was also a place to discuss cars. Folger's antics notwithstanding of course. If we are only supposed to ask questions here then please create a car "discussion" thread. I personally feel it makes no sense for two car threads when this one only has 50 pages of discussion, but whatever floats everyone's boat.

The main car discussion has always been in screenshots and it is more of a general topic about it (more people look at that one, than this one). Common topics for the SS car thread are:
  • Look at what I just bought
  • Here is what I am thinking about buying, what is your opinion
  • Look at what Nissan/Acura/Tesla/Ford/etc are releasing soon
  • Here is my old truck, that I made look like a clown car by sticking a bunch of lights on it
  • Other dumb things Lanx decides to talk about (just like the rest of the forum)

In order to minimize overlap, it was better when this thread focused on car (mechanical, electrical, audio) questions and answers. I know it may be trivial, but I liked reading about peoples car problems and solutions.

Furthermore, even though most men of quality that I know, engage in it, bragging about your car is a bit childish, and therefor doesn't belong in the grown up section!

P.S. I would not want nor expect any thread to get policed (moderated) in such a way. My only hope is that people police themselves in hopes of a more lively discussion (where more people regularly read).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The main car discussion has always been in screenshots and it is more of a general topic about it (more people look at that one, than this one). Common topics for the SS car thread are:
  • Look at what I just bought
  • Here is what I am thinking about buying, what is your opinion
  • Look at what Nissan/Acura/Tesla/Ford/etc are releasing soon
  • Here is my old truck, that I made look like a clown car by sticking a bunch of lights on it
  • Other dumb things Lanx decides to talk about (just like the rest of the forum)

In order to minimize overlap, it was better when this thread focused on car (mechanical, electrical, audio) questions and answers. I know it may be trivial, but I liked reading about peoples car problems and solutions.

Furthermore, even though most men of quality that I know, engage in it, bragging about your car is a bit childish, and therefor doesn't belong in the grown up section!

P.S. I would not want nor expect any thread to get policed (moderated) in such a way. My only hope is that people police themselves in hopes of a more lively discussion (where more people regularly read).
I didn't know there was one in SS to be honest.

• 1Seriously?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I didn't know there was one in SS to be honest.
backing up homer simpson GIF

same lol

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The real question is how long it takes you to stop driving it like a stupid teenager :D

coming from a 4runner/rav4, my wife’s Model 3 is way too much fun.
I've had my Teslas almost 5 years now.

Still waiting to stop driving it like a stupid teenager.... hasn't happened yet. :)

• 1Solidarity
  • 1EyeRoll

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So where do you homies stand on this general miasma of like 'you won't be able to buy a manual/v8 anything by the end of the decade' that seems to be overtaking most of the car nerds on YouTube etc. They all seem basically convinced that the era of the Charger/Mustang/M2 etc is basically over and if you want to own a sports/muscle car like that you need to buy it ASAP before it all turns in to hybrids and Teslas and whatever else.

I've been waffling around a lot on a car purchase just due to my current living situation. The smart play is just buy some ~20k econobox cause I live in the city and doesn't matter at all, but if/when I move in the next couple years will I even be able to buy a V8 anymore?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So where do you homies stand on this general miasma of like 'you won't be able to buy a manual/v8 anything by the end of the decade' that seems to be overtaking most of the car nerds on YouTube etc. They all seem basically convinced that the era of the Charger/Mustang/M2 etc is basically over and if you want to own a sports/muscle car like that you need to buy it ASAP before it all turns in to hybrids and Teslas and whatever else.

I've been waffling around a lot on a car purchase just due to my current living situation. The smart play is just buy some ~20k econobox cause I live in the city and doesn't matter at all, but if/when I move in the next couple years will I even be able to buy a V8 anymore?

In a few years emission standards in Europe will be so strict, there won't be any more petrol car production.

On the upside other markets should get a lot of cheap european performance cars, which can't be driven here anymore, or cost 20k / year in road tax.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Unfortunately, things seems to be headed that way. A lot of it is politically driven by people, businesses, and interest groups that don't fully understand what that means and it's going to bite us all in the ass. Not because we won't have the prevalence of fun cars anymore, but because tens of millions don't understand that there is no infrastructure to support all electric - or even 50% electric - road vehicles. Yes, Tesla does a decent job, but that amounts to fuck-all in the grand scheme of things. That's a car for the affluent. 70-80% of the world isn't affluent, even in Europe and America. Most people cannot afford an electric car and IF they all could, the power grids cannot support a majority of people charging off of the grid. AND (sorry to be on a soap box) the carbon emissions from the power grids in the US and Europe are dirtier than running modern petrol cars, long-term. People just don't fucking realize that, or they ignore it just to keep pushing the agenda.

So, yes, its being pushed that way, but there's no viable way it can happen in the time frame that's being claimed. The western world cannot phase out petrol cars that quickly because its not affordable and there's no infrastructure. All of the car manufacturers are on board for EV because they have to be, politically and economically. They can't afford to be an outlier and not adapt. I DO think we will see fewer and fewer fun petrol cars, but I don't think they will disappear. My one shining light is Porsche's huge investment in synthetic fuels (Porsche Synthetic Fuels) which could be a good bridge.

So, if you can afford it, get a fun car that you will enjoy. If not, you can wait, but the prices will be higher in the coming years and our (country as a whole) income is not keeping pace with the increase in the cost of goods.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In a few years emission standards in Europe will be so strict, there won't be any more petrol car production.

On the upside other markets should get a lot of cheap european performance cars, which can't be driven here anymore, or cost 20k / year in road tax.

I'd say there will still be petrol cars, but they will be too expensive for most, IE: Lambo, Ferrari, A.M. Porsche, etc. A lot of rules are based around averages and not absolutes, so some will remain. But, you're right about road tax. That's coming to the United States as well if EVs take over. The states will need a way to tax usage. Currently that tax is at the gas pump, but if it's half or mostly EVs, there will instead be a road tax for them. Sorry Lib-tard snowflakes, you're not going to be driving around for free.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea my real concern is that if I don't buy my fun car with this purchase it'll be 50-100% more expensive in 3-5 years time.

I've got a line on a 2020 Mustang GT with the performance pack right now for 45k included taxes and everything, so I may just pull the trigger on that and have it be my daily.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'd say there will still be petrol cars, but they will be too expensive for most, IE: Lambo, Ferrari, A.M. Porsche, etc. A lot of rules are based around averages and not absolutes, so some will remain. But, you're right about road tax. That's coming to the United States as well if EVs take over. The states will need a way to tax usage. Currently that tax is at the gas pump, but if it's half or mostly EVs, there will instead be a road tax for them. Sorry Lib-tard snowflakes, you're not going to be driving around for free.

Porsche has an alternative fuel for petrol cars which doesn't pollute, some other companies are working on it.

You just need to pick up a cheap 2020 911 GT3 and you'll be set.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Porsche has an alternative fuel for petrol cars which doesn't pollute, some other companies are working on it.

You just need to pick up a cheap 2020 911 GT3 and you'll be set.

No such thing, lol. GT3's are trading 20-100% over sticker, depending on generation. 997s going for the most over sticker, 991s less over sticker but have a higher starting point. Its a stupid market at the moment. I'm thankful I got mine when I did and I thought I overpaid then too.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

I think that is very likely to happen. Those type of "sports cars" are a complete joke compared to EV's for anything except track days, and like 1% of all sports cars are ever taken to the track. EV's are superior in every way aside from that - and track days will likely fall in the next 5 years.

It's just like true manual transmissions vs. DCT's - they are going the way of the dinosaur because they are not faster. Some cars will still have manuals either for cost reasons or just for nostalgia... but I expect they will disappear before you know it like drum brakes, carburetors, and manual choke knobs.

• 1EyeRoll

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Sorry Lib-tard snowflakes, you're not going to be driving around for free.
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the thousands of dollars I'm saving per year in gas and maintenance costs.

• 1Like
  • 1Potato

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the thousands of dollars I'm saving per year in gas and maintenance costs.

LOL, it was probably an unnecessary jab, I admit that. Nothing wrong with EVs, I agree they make sense in many situations. Its just the politics of them I dislike.

Anyway, I happily pay as much as I do to enjoy my cars. The price of gas and maintenance is inconsequential.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
LOL, it was probably an unnecessary jab, I admit that. Nothing wrong with EVs, I agree they make sense in many situations. Its just the politics of them I dislike.

Anyway, I happily pay as much as I do to enjoy my cars. The price of gas and maintenance is inconsequential.
I think you know me well enough to know I'm not a libtard in any fashion.

Your post was about tax and driving around for free - so it's sort of a cop out to then say, oh I don't care about cost. You either care and want to jab at others for not getting something "free", or you don't and you don't care whether anybody gets anything for free or not because it's inconsequential. Pick one.