Car ?'s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I can’t stand the interiors on Ford trucks, the clusters, infotainment center. Screens are cheap today and they just insist on putting screens smaller than our phones in the damn things unless you get a upper tier trim package. What the fuck good is a back up camera on a screen smaller than most people’s phones. I drive an f-550 for work, absolutely hate the inside.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I can’t stand the interiors on Ford trucks, the clusters, infotainment center. Screens are cheap today and they just insist on putting screens smaller than our phones in the damn things unless you get a upper tier trim package. What the fuck good is a back up camera on a screen smaller than most people’s phones. I drive an f-550 for work, absolutely hate the inside.
I like them. Especially the new, high grade materials.

34906a_hcomp.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The whole "ooh look a touchscreen!" design phase can't end quickly enough. It's hard to think of a worse interface for a moving car. Also hate how they are almost never integrated into the dash.

Mercedes is the worst when it comes to this, design a sleek premium interior and then make it look like someone has screwed a Walmart phone mount into to stick a tablet on top.

1633673172814.png

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The whole "ooh look a touchscreen!" design phase can't end quickly enough. It's hard to think of a worse interface for a moving car. Also hate how they are almost never integrated into the dash.

Mercedes is the worst when it comes to this, design a sleek premium interior and then make it look like someone has screwed a Walmart phone mount into to stick a tablet on top.

View attachment 376185
Agreed, I have a 2016 civic and it looks like they just super glued a tablet into the dash

Fucker

Log Wizard
Agreed, I have a 2016 civic and it looks like they just super glued a tablet into the dash
At least Honda put climate controls on regular dials. Subaru put them in their ipad which almost kills the car for me. They also put in a slow CPU, so there's lag everywhere. New vs old:

1eed075f2f026f681cc49e60d4d4a97d.jpg
2021-Subaru-Outback-Interior-Changes.jpg

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I meant simple in function. I hate giant ipads with every function of the car buried in them.
I get you. I have owned all sorts of cars. From muscle cars to EVs. I love them all. There is a sort of elegance to what Tesla does. They don't have an "infotainment system". They put the entire control of the car at your finger tips. It's taking some adjusting but I am finding I very much like it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I get you. I have owned all sorts of cars. From muscle cars to EVs. I love them all. There is a sort of elegance to what Tesla does. They don't have an "infotainment system". They put the entire control of the car at your finger tips. It's taking some adjusting but I am finding I very much like it.
At least Tesla puts a real CPU in theirs. Subaru puts in mobile chips from the early 2000's in there. At least if feels like it. I wouldn't mind it if they left the damn AC out of it, but they just had to stuff all the shit in there to save a few bucks.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Touch screens are cheap as fuck, yet they are being marketed as premium shit, and of course people fall for that.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 376185

This is what the audi A7 already had about 10 years ago:

But again, the whole touch screen thing is simply a cost-savings operation which is being marketed as a premium something, so they just superglue displays like this in most cars.

Interior lighting is another one of those things. Its just some cheap led strips with a controller, total value about 10$, but somehow they get people to shell out hundreds if not over a thousand for that shit.

I want to pay for a good engine, good power delivery, quick shifts, quality interior ... not for this kind of gimmick shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Car info systems are a sad joke. The entire reason there's a fucking chip shortage is because auto makers use chips that have been out of date for a decade and none of the fab plants want to bother making them when they have orders of a billion iphone SOCs or whatever to make.

The Tesla system works and feels very good because it's actually modern. Every other maker just slaps a fucking capacitive screen on to a 2010 era SOC chip and calls it good. They are infuriating to actually use when every action has 1-2s lag times, it takes forever to actually boot, crashes constantly etc. I've yet to actually touch an info system in a non-Tesla that wasn't a horrendous nightmare. Granted I've not used the current gen of Mercedes or or BMW or whoever, so maybe it gets better in the luxury market?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Car info systems are a sad joke. The entire reason there's a fucking chip shortage is because auto makers use chips that have been out of date for a decade and none of the fab plants want to bother making them when they have orders of a billion iphone SOCs or whatever to make.

The Tesla system works and feels very good because it's actually modern. Every other maker just slaps a fucking capacitive screen on to a 2010 era SOC chip and calls it good. They are infuriating to actually use when every action has 1-2s lag times, it takes forever to actually boot, crashes constantly etc. I've yet to actually touch an info system in a non-Tesla that wasn't a horrendous nightmare. Granted I've not used the current gen of Mercedes or or BMW or whoever, so maybe it gets better in the luxury market?
Even the web browser in my Tesla is solid. Not my PC obviously, but it functions well.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Analog controls for basic shit like volume, temperature, etc. or GTFO.

Infotainment is fine to adjust speaker settings, nav, music, suspension, drive modes, etc., but for basic shit like the heater? I won't ever go back to that shit being "touch-screen".

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Analog controls for basic shit like volume, temperature, etc. or GTFO.

Infotainment is fine to adjust speaker settings, nav, music, suspension, drive modes, etc., but for basic shit like the heater? I won't ever go back to that shit being "touch-screen".
Are there people who don't just set the climate control at 72 and leave it there the entire time they own the car?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Are there people who don't just set the climate control at 72 and leave it there the entire time they own the car?
I don't like my car that warm in winter months. Usually 72 in summer and 68 in winter. Plus, there's considerations for passengers that I don't want fucking with settings as they bumble fuck around in the infotainment cluster, before I have to smack their hands. My Mercedes was like that and I hated it.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't like my car that warm in winter months. Usually 72 in summer and 68 in winter. Plus, there's considerations for passengers that I don't want fucking with settings as they bumble fuck around in the infotainment cluster, before I have to smack their hands. My Mercedes was like that and I hated it.
tesla-model-3-hvac-climate-controls - TESLARATI

Just so you realize all you do is literally push up or down arrows at the bottom of the screen, there's no menus or settings or anything to bumblefuck around in.

But ok.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
tesla-model-3-hvac-climate-controls - TESLARATI

Just so you realize all you do is literally push up or down arrows at the bottom of the screen, there's no menus or settings or anything to bumblefuck around in.

But ok.
Is that the Model 3 or Model Y Cad?