Car ?'s

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The dash is identical in either, but I think that's a model 3.
I test drove a Y while I was shopping. From personal taste I found the pure function-less dash off-putting. I prefer having the dash console behind the wheel. I guess from decades of familiarity. I also preferred the inset screen in portrait mode. Something about the screen being floating off the dash I didn't like. One of the reasons I went for the X ultimately. And also why I didn't go with a 2022, as the change to the same floating screen.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I test drove a Y while I was shopping. From personal taste I found the pure function-less dash off-putting. I prefer having the dash console behind the wheel. I guess from decades of familiarity. I also preferred the inset screen in portrait mode. Something about the screen being floating off the dash I didn't like. One of the reasons I went for the X ultimately. And also why I didn't go with a 2022, as the change to the same floating screen.
I have an S and a 3 and it's a non-issue.. same data is there in both places. The screen on the 3 is waaaay better for watching youtube or plex while supercharging or waiting. Both of them work really well though in their respective interfaces.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have an S and a 3 and it's a non-issue.. same data is there in both places. The screen on the 3 is waaaay better for watching youtube or plex while supercharging or waiting. Both of them work really well though in their respective interfaces.
I dont know if you have kids or not, but as I get my familiar with the safety features I'm starting to consider if I want my teen daughter to learn in a tesla from a safety perspective with autopilot enhancements. Things like lane control and tailgate assistance etc might save her from an early accident. It would be expensive but ultimately money doesn't matter if it saves her from injury or worse.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
At least Honda put climate controls on regular dials. Subaru put them in their ipad which almost kills the car for me. They also put in a slow CPU, so there's lag everywhere. New vs old:

View attachment 376205View attachment 376206
even tho i removed the console 2 or 3x on the subbie and the HARDEST part of the install is reconnecting the climate control cables (they are down tucked away where your knees are for driver and passenger side) you either have to remove the seat, stick your head in side ways and work like a giraffee or go completely upside down like a bat(i opted for this)

i wouldn't ever buy a car w/ digital hvac controls.

this is all teslas fault too, imo, everyone does horizontal displays but tesla does vertical and subbie wanted to copy tesla and you couldn't get vertical unless you got rid of the climate control cluster. (they already started moving the middle horizontal air vents to the become vertical air vents)

i believe forrester/impreza and brz 2022 still have regular climate cluster

even the sti will have an all digital console and a fucking ebrake, how do you fuck up that combo

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I dont know if you have kids or not, but as I get my familiar with the safety features I'm starting to consider if I want my teen daughter to learn in a tesla from a safety perspective with autopilot enhancements. Things like lane control and tailgate assistance etc might save her from an early accident. It would be expensive but ultimately money doesn't matter if it saves her from injury or worse.
I do but I don't let my kids drive the Teslas, they are waaaaaay too fast for teenage boys. It's good thinking though.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I do but I don't let my kids drive the Teslas, they are waaaaaay too fast for teenage boys. It's good thinking though.
I wonder if Tesla would allow speed governing for teens. That would be an awesome feature.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Car info systems are a sad joke. The entire reason there's a fucking chip shortage is because auto makers use chips that have been out of date for a decade and none of the fab plants want to bother making them when they have orders of a billion iphone SOCs or whatever to make.

The Tesla system works and feels very good because it's actually modern. Every other maker just slaps a fucking capacitive screen on to a 2010 era SOC chip and calls it good. They are infuriating to actually use when every action has 1-2s lag times, it takes forever to actually boot, crashes constantly etc. I've yet to actually touch an info system in a non-Tesla that wasn't a horrendous nightmare. Granted I've not used the current gen of Mercedes or or BMW or whoever, so maybe it gets better in the luxury market?

Last few generations of BMW system have been good in my experience. They are responsive, every function can be used with the idrive controller (no need to use touchscreen) and there's actual buttons for AC and radio. They also come with a row of programmable buttons that you can bind a function to for quick access (ie one button press to take you to the tire pressure screen, or to navigate to a home address).

BMW had a lot of blowback on the first idrive system in the early 2000s where they put just about every function on the screen, so they've sort of had their "ooh screens" phase already and started adding buttons again around 2010. Only place where they lag behind is smartphone integration.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I want to pay for a good engine, good power delivery, quick shifts, quality interior ... not for this kind of gimmick shit.

It's pretty shocking what you pay for the options for what you get. I spec'ed out a 2020 F-350 for the ranch last fall ordered direct from the factory and it came out to about $45k. All I added was an upgrade to the big block V8, heavy duty rear end, and I think skid plates. If you got the same pickup "fully loaded" it would have been pushing $100k. Now $8000 of that would have been for a diesel engine which might be worth it, but besides that it's $47k worth of heated seats and navigation systems that aren't as good as what's already on my phone and motorized gas pedals and shit. Crazy what people want to spend money on.

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
It's pretty shocking what you pay for the options for what you get. I spec'ed out a 2020 F-350 for the ranch last fall ordered direct from the factory and it came out to about $45k. All I added was an upgrade to the big block V8, heavy duty rear end, and I think skid plates. If you got the same pickup "fully loaded" it would have been pushing $100k. Now $8000 of that would have been for a diesel engine which might be worth it, but besides that it's $47k worth of heated seats and navigation systems that aren't as good as what's already on my phone and motorized gas pedals and shit. Crazy what people want to spend money on.
I used to live in Farmville, and some people practically lived in their trucks. In that light, I can see doshing out for a fully loaded beast since it was likely a tax deduction to begin with.

Have you specced out a Porsche in the last 15 years? Those people are the masters of optional extras....all of them pricey. Want your car painted all one color? Optional. Even better yet, they will charge you for taking off parts that they already put on. Oh look, GT version, less stuff, costs more! Want a special color? $$$$$ to have Ludwig put a different color can of paint in the spray robot....takes 5 minutes.

Ferrari take the cake, though. Carbon fiber trim is just CF badly slapped on top of Italian plastic.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea it's just every dealer unfortunately. Places like Honda/Ford/etc have cut fucking android auto from their base info systems and locked it behind option packages that cost like 3k lol.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>

I wonder if Tesla would allow speed governing for teens. That would be an awesome feature.

My model 3 has that feature

Speed Limit Mode – This feature limits the acceleration of your vehicle and allows you to set a maximum speed limit between 50 mph and 90 mph. While your car is in Park, you can activate Speed Limit Mode by tapping Controls > Safety & Security on the touchscreen or by tapping CONTROLS on the mobile app. You must use the same 4-digit PIN to enable or disable Speed Limit Mode. A notification is sent to your mobile device is your vehicle approaches the set maximum speed.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My model 3 has that feature

Speed Limit Mode – This feature limits the acceleration of your vehicle and allows you to set a maximum speed limit between 50 mph and 90 mph. While your car is in Park, you can activate Speed Limit Mode by tapping Controls > Safety & Security on the touchscreen or by tapping CONTROLS on the mobile app. You must use the same 4-digit PIN to enable or disable Speed Limit Mode. A notification is sent to your mobile device is your vehicle approaches the set maximum speed.
Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
If you can afford to get your kid one, I like the idea. Since it's a bit of a different car I read through the manual and the safety features are pretty advanced. There's a lot of stuff in there you'd never know about.

"Brake Disc Wiping
To ensure brakes remain responsive in cold and wet weather, the vehicle is equipped with brake disc wiping. When cold and wet weather is detected, this feature repeatedly applies an imperceptible amount of brake force to remove water from the surface of the brake discs."

My kids aren't close to driving but I could see myself getting a used one for them. At the same time though, I'd like for them to learn on a normal car so they don't fully rely on the Elon to do most of their work. :)

Dunnhopen

Trakanon Raider
If you can afford to get your kid one, I like the idea. Since it's a bit of a different car I read through the manual and the safety features are pretty advanced. There's a lot of stuff in there you'd never know about.

"Brake Disc Wiping
To ensure brakes remain responsive in cold and wet weather, the vehicle is equipped with brake disc wiping. When cold and wet weather is detected, this feature repeatedly applies an imperceptible amount of brake force to remove water from the surface of the brake discs."

My kids aren't close to driving but I could see myself getting a used one for them. At the same time though, I'd like for them to learn on a normal car so they don't fully rely on the Elon to do most of their work. :)
You can even track car location via phone and also remotely set speed limits. When someone had theirs stolen they reportedly set it to the lowest speed possibly and the car was ditched because it wouldn't go over 20mph or something

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
You can even track car location via phone and also remotely set speed limits. When someone had theirs stolen they reportedly set it to the lowest speed possibly and the car was ditched because it wouldn't go over 20mph or something
There's a ton of nifty or fun things with Tesla's. On the phone app you can also adjust the climate (sweat them out), remotely honk the horn/flash lights, and yes see live location.

Newer models have the Boombox which allows you to play music outside the car. My wife uses it to play music when she washes it. The Boombox also allows you to setup custom horn tones and of course comes with a bunch like La Cucaracha. For extra fun at crosswalks, you can use the whoopie cushion tool to fart on the Boombox as well. My kids love it.

All in all I enjoy the car. It has a ton of fun stuff on it. I like to play the classic arcade games when I'm waiting for someone (breakout, centipede, missile command, etc.). I'm not a big fan of the touchscreen only concept but you can also use a ton of natural voice commands as well. "It's hot in here" or "turn the air down". And of course since it's made by the people that put a whoopie cushion in it, you can open the charge port with "open your butthole". My wife and I spent the first day with the car just playing with it. We turned on the 'Romance Mode' which put a video of a fireplace up but at the same time cranked on the heat to simulate a fire.. we live in Florida. We couldn't figure out how to get it off the full screen so we ended up getting out of the car and locking it to shut the thing off lol.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

"Brake Disc Wiping

Yeah I am loving my Model X. I mean its not "cheap" to get a model 3 for for my daughter next year, but I also now how it is to be a teen driver. The more I drive my X the more I realize that the safety features might save her from doing something stupid especially in the first year or two.

Demon Hunter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Currently at the dealership trying to fix and issue with the OBD port not communicating because newer cars in CA need to pass diagnostic tests to get smogged.

Have a 2013 car and a OTC tune which flipped off some sensors. Issue is my tuner can not communicate to de tune back to stock. Feel like I'm getting raped here waiting an exhorbant amount of time to diagnose (blown fuse, damnit easy fix) but they want to charge $250 for diagnose and reflash. Figured it would be around 150 but this economy and inflated prices whatever.

Moral of the story is I'm paying out the ass for what I think is an easy fix but now on hour 3 of a 30 min job, fml. Went 7 years not needing smog also.