Car ?'s

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How's the passive battery drain on the Tesla Cad Cad ? I've been tempted to buy one, but I don't have a garage currently so I'd need to just use supercharger stations (which are plentiful near me) like gas stations, I just don't wanna not drive it for 4-5 days and find it dead.
They have exterior wall/pole mounted charger you can mount on the outside of your house and wire to the breaker box if that is an alternative.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
these are the ppl you deal with if you install an external charger
Tesla owners are so dumb. Every time I pass one they have some dumb vanity plate stroking their green thumb ego.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yes and no. Tesla is in the market making cars because they can. But, they are really a battery manufacturer and innovator, first and foremost. They'd be much happier simply supplying the batteries and other tech to the major OEMs. Don't need to compete on the whole car if you're just feeding the rest. Only thing is, that might not work anymore if the biggies like VAG, Renault, Toyota, Honda, GM, Stellantis, etc. catch up.
Toyota is going to catch up and steamroll everyone. GM will continue to burn people's houses down.

• 3Worf
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 3 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
How's the passive battery drain on the Tesla Cad Cad ? I've been tempted to buy one, but I don't have a garage currently so I'd need to just use supercharger stations (which are plentiful near me) like gas stations, I just don't wanna not drive it for 4-5 days and find it dead.
I read somewhere it’s about 1% of the battery a day. I haven’t had mine long enough to notice. I did read through the manual since it’s a bit of a different car and they don’t recommend using super chargers on the regular. Also, plugging it into a standard wall outlet gets about 5 miles an hour charge tops if you want to just plug it in overnight. I’m lucky enough to have free chargers at work so I just top it off everyday there.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So where do you homies stand on this general miasma of like 'you won't be able to buy a manual/v8 anything by the end of the decade' that seems to be overtaking most of the car nerds on YouTube etc. They all seem basically convinced that the era of the Charger/Mustang/M2 etc is basically over and if you want to own a sports/muscle car like that you need to buy it ASAP before it all turns in to hybrids and Teslas and whatever else.

I've been waffling around a lot on a car purchase just due to my current living situation. The smart play is just buy some ~20k econobox cause I live in the city and doesn't matter at all, but if/when I move in the next couple years will I even be able to buy a V8 anymore?

I think it comes down to asking yourself why you want a V8. If you want grunt off the line and smooth power delivery, electric cars will do that the same if not better. If you just want to go from 0-60 quickly, don't bother anymore because soccer moms can buy a $55,000 Kia EV6 crossover that can do 0-60 in well under 4 seconds today and it's only going to get worse. We're already past the writing on the wall stage there.

If the main draw is classic V8 sound and driver engagement, you're probably better off buying something older because all the new direct injection, turbocharged V8s sound terrible and/or have fake engine noise via the speakers, and have a zillion electronic driver aids that take all the engagement out of driving. Getting an older car also means you can get some classic designs that just aren't possible anymore with today's safety regulations (eg the long and low hood of older Corvettes) and there's a good chance that you'll be able to drive it in the future because just about every low emission zone has an exemption for classic cars.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
bonus: these chargers are usually the best parking spots
Yes and no in my case. They are up front in the parking garage but since they're free and a lot of people use them, the company limits your time. We get 3.5 hours of charging and 30 minutes to move it after. Basically I have to go move the thing at lunch time. I can't complain though. 3.5 hours gets me 100 miles of charge and my daily commute is 60 round trip so I stay topped off.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that is very likely to happen. Those type of "sports cars" are a complete joke compared to EV's for anything except track days, and like 1% of all sports cars are ever taken to the track. EV's are superior in every way aside from that - and track days will likely fall in the next 5 years.

It's just like true manual transmissions vs. DCT's - they are going the way of the dinosaur because they are not faster. Some cars will still have manuals either for cost reasons or just for nostalgia... but I expect they will disappear before you know it like drum brakes, carburetors, and manual choke knobs.

This. The V8's and the standard transmissions are for people who care about nostalgia more than performance. I too feel romantic about a 1970 Chevelle SS with the 454 big block but it did 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. Teslas are doing it in under 2 seconds. My ecoboost F-150 convinced me of this. When I was shopping for it I wasn't even considering anything that didn't have a V8 until I actually read up on the ecoboost and found out the 3.5L V6 has more power and towing capacity than the 5 liter V8. Sure it doesn't sound that manly, but I swear sometimes it tows better than our F350 with the 6.3L V8. It certainly accelerates better. Performance > Nostalgia for me.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
This. The V8's and the standard transmissions are for people who care about nostalgia more than performance. I too feel romantic about a 1970 Chevelle SS with the 454 big block but it did 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. Teslas are doing it in under 2 seconds. My ecoboost F-150 convinced me of this. When I was shopping for it I wasn't even considering anything that didn't have a V8 until I actually read up on the ecoboost and found out the 3.5L V6 has more power and towing capacity than the 5 liter V8. Sure it doesn't sound that manly, but I swear sometimes it tows better than our F350 with the 6.3L V8. It certainly accelerates better. Performance > Nostalgia for me.

The <2.0s number is a flat out lie, it gives the car a 1 ft head start as well as tire glue (which you'll only find on a drag-strip, and no licensed drag strip will allow sub 10s quarter mile cars with no roll cage.) People regurgitating manufacturer 0-60 numbers really should understand how they get made.

Most of the difference in modern published 0-60s compared to vintage v8s are in the tires. Put some modern semis or drags on a 427 cobra and tell me all about your ecoboost performance.

As for towing with modern tubo v6; you lose the economy benefits over a v8 when pulling anything heavy enough, on top of a shorter engine life.

• 1GreNeg
  • 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The <2.0s number is a flat out lie, it gives the car a 1 ft head start as well as tire glue (which you'll only find on a drag-strip, and no licensed drag strip will allow sub 10s quarter mile cars with no roll cage.) People regurgitating manufacturer 0-60 numbers really should understand how they get made.

Most of the difference in modern published 0-60s compared to vintage v8s are in the tires. Put some modern semis or drags on a 427 cobra and tell me all about your ecoboost performance.

As for towing with modern tubo v6; you lose the economy benefits over a v8 when pulling anything heavy enough, on top of a shorter engine life.
Cad

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

shaking star trek GIF

• 1Worf

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Have you been inside a Model X?

Yea. It has cheap materials and uses a lot of displays, which are cheaper then mechanical gauges, but somehow its at a premium price.

A base 5-series looks and feels nicer inside. So does an A6.

These are relatively cheap cars.

Tesla interiors are wallmart quality. I don't know what kind of customer buys a tesla X, but the audience certainly doesn't know the kind of quality you can get in its price range.

Last edited:

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Wait till he finds out 18 wheelers have turbo I-6's.
Wait till he finds out 18 wheelers have diesels. :smuggly: They don't have much in common at all with a gas v6.

Ford's pushing out v8s from F150s for regulators and large capitol investors, not due to quality or consumer demand.

• 1GreNeg

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Ford's pushing out v8s from F150s for regulators and large capitol investors, not due to quality or consumer demand.

Lol.

Ford.

I mean their interiors are great for a fallout 5 sim featuring the 80s.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Wait till he finds out 18 wheelers have diesels. :smuggly: They don't have much in common at all with a gas v6.

I was shocked when I saw a Chevrolet 1500 with a 2.7L 4 cylinder in it. At least the base engine in a RAM is a good V-6.

• 1WTF

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yea. It has cheap materials and uses a lot of displays, which are cheaper then mechanical gauges, but somehow its at a premium price.

A base 5-series looks and feels nicer inside. So does an A6.

These are relatively cheap cars.

Tesla interiors are wallmart quality. I don't know what kind of customer buys a tesla X, but the audience certainly doesn't know the kind of quality you can get in its price range.
I went from a BMW to a Tesla. I feel that qualifies me to judge them both.