Car ?'s

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Tesla has the worst car designers in the entire world man

Yea I don't understand what they are going for with that.

The only thing I could say is I hope thats the "concept" version and it gets worked on more.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Looks like something the boss threw to you 5 minutes before close on a Friday and you sketched it out so you could leave at 5pm and would look at it Monday. Then they built it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe they just wanted a low polygon count so they could make models of it without too much rendering time.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone do sound deadening? gonna try stick some on this weekend.

the last time i used sound deadening was dynamat in 1999 for my computer, lulz and it smelled.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What are y'alls experience with Carmax trade-in values? Are they close to KBB or will they screw you (harder)?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
What are y'alls experience with Carmax trade-in values? Are they close to KBB or will they screw you (harder)?

From what I've seen from youtubers doing it, Carmax is surprisingly fair and accurate on prices. It will obviously be lower than a private sale, but that shit can get frustrating fast with tire kickers.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I got a KBB instant cash offer - it was for the lower end of the KBB scale.

It was, I think 5800 - range was 5200-6750

That will prompt local dealers to contact you to accept that price etc.

I then got CarMax appraisal it came it at 6200.

I then called the KBB people and told them I was good with them if they could beat CarMax and told them the offer- I honestly described the car and he offered at least 50$ more unseen just to bring it up to them - and estimated 450 over CarMax at most.

Ended at 6535 from them, got a check- handed my keys and wondered off.

Was great.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm

For most used cars, I think it's a great starting point. Similar to what other people say, it's pretty close. You could squeeze more in a private sale, but it's such an easy process. So if you don't want the headache of listing it privately and getting low ball offers before you find a decent one, then yeah it's worth looking them up.

For the car I was looking to have appraised, I had a ton of hail damage. It caused the value to be significantly less than KBB value. A decrease was expected, but I was surprised by how much less I was offered. I got more for my trade-in at a dealership when I bought new, but that you never know how they do the switching around. I negotiated the car at first telling them I wasn't going to trade, but then brought it up last second and got a good deal more at the dealership.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
anyone do sound deadening? gonna try stick some on this weekend.

the last time i used sound deadening was dynamat in 1999 for my computer, lulz and it smelled.
So so far it goes on really easy, from research the most common stuff now is to get butyl with foil on top, this is the same stuff as thick roofing tape. yea i researched it too, it's actually cheaper buying in bulk from amazon than buying butyl roof tape from home depot.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Sell your car to Carvana. Don't mess with car max. It was so damn easy and no bullshit. They picked the car up without inspecting it and gave me a check. They gave me 3k more for my Mustang than the average private sale price or trade in amount.

• 1Solidarity

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Sell your car to Carvana. Don't mess with car max. It was so damn easy and no bullshit. They picked the car up without inspecting it and gave me a check. They gave me 3k more for my Mustang than the average private sale price or trade in amount.
What if the car has a lien?

Looking at Carvana offerings...who the hell is buying vehicles at these prices? I'm actually looking for a used, low-mileage 17+ Mustang GT. They are selling used 17s for the price I could buy a brand new 19 for.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

What if the car has a lien?

Looking at Carvana offerings...who the hell is buying vehicles at these prices? I'm actually looking for a used, low-mileage 17+ Mustang GT. They are selling used 17s for the price I could buy a brand new 19 for.

I have known a few people that have purchased from Carvana and CarMax... I am like... why?

"Its easy, and I HATE dealing with haggling salesmen."

I try and ask... why? You have 2 places that do NOT negotiate...

Car A is 15k

Car A is 15k at a dealer that DOES negotiate...

WHY WOULD YOU BUY IT FROM CARVANA/MAX?

To be ahead of the game you literally go into the dealer that can negotiate and say

ill pay 14k on your 15k listed car, 90% chance of success on the first try... if they say yes, you win, if they say no, YOUR STILL AT 15k you just turn your hole to them and say "yes ill take it thank you may I have another"

but they all say "Ehh, not worth the stress or effort."

morons

Oh- carvana has no dealer fee, so thats 200-900$ that you do not have to "negotiate"

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Oh- carvana has no dealer fee, so thats 200-900$ that you do not have to "negotiate"
Look at this shit:

Carvana | Buy Used Cars Online & Skip The Dealership

That is a base 2017 GT with no options for $29,100? Fucking dumb. Again, I could buy a brand spanking new 2019 with 0% financing for 72 months for ~$28,500. You'd have to be a complete moron to buy from these places.

ALSO, if I may rant some more. I see financial advice stating that one should not buy vehicles that are more than 10% your gross salary. Okay, so if I earn 100k a year that means I shouldn't buy a vehicle that's more than 10K? Seriously?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah good luck getting a car for $10K other than some used POS with 100K miles on it.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Carvana imo never has good prices in relation to other used-

I have found that just base advertised price v advertised price - no haggeling- carvana and carmax are the same or MORE than most certified cars on local lots - and certified usually come with a nice warranty and most of those are up-gradable to long term plans that are factory backed - way better than relying on some 3rd party crap.

Hell, Walmart has carsaver.com - 95% of their listed cars come with a lifetime powertrain warrenty (that I think you can upgrade to essentially b2b for a few k) and even they have better prices - but also note, Carvana IS a cert carsaver dealer and lists almost all their cars also on carsaver.com -- so if you DO buy via Carvana, buy it via carsaver.com and get the lifetime powertrain for free.

But yeah, 26k used with 3-6% apr...or 27k new at 0% lol. and you know you can talk a dealer down on new... find some prices paid forums on ford/mustang whatever forums to get an idea of real world people prices paid and locations to get a feel on where you should end up.

Also - the 10% thing is sometimes (depending on the financial advisor) payments not total... so if you make 100k a year, your monthly payment for a car should not exceed 10% - of you budget.

So if my take home is 1000$ a month, my car payment should not be over 100$

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can easily buy a reliable car for $10k. The question is can your ego handle driving a 5 year old Ford Focus? People are willing to pay many tens of thousands of dollars and go deep in debt to buy a car that performs the exact same function as that 5 year old focus but convince themselves that being able to accelerate better or have a more comfortable seat is literally worth like $50,000. Of course the real reason is they feel better about themselves when they drive a more expensive car. They also believe that other people think more of them but the truth is most people don't give a shit what you drive.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
For 10k you can get a circa 2014 Honda Civic with about 70k miles on it. Probably good for at least another 80K miles or so.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Last car I bought cost $15k, 2 yrs old, it had 63K miles on it, full size sedan Chevy Impala LT