Carnival Row

velk

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have a good reason why the Horuspex chick
had to die? Seems like Piety killed her for no reason? It didnt prevent Horuspex from figuring out it was her and why would Piety think she had any connection to Philo? Did I miss something?

Piety killed her because she told Piety that she worked out who the killer was in her vision. Of course she only worked out who the killer was *because* Piety went to kill her, but they seem to be following the GoT style of prophecy where they mainly exist to fuck with you.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have a good reason why the Horuspex chick
had to die? Seems like Piety killed her for no reason? It didnt prevent Horuspex from figuring out it was her and why would Piety think she had any connection to Philo? Did I miss something?

I just figured she had told Piety about Philo bringing her the dead parts to make the baby darkasher. So then Piety thinks she has to kill her to keep her secret of creating the real darkasher. The horuspex lady also says whoever made the darkasher was more powerful then her, so she was learning from someone else. Having horuspex around is no longer needed

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
Something along those lines. Self-fulfilling prophecy / gotta knife a bitch because sometimes bitches just gotta be knifed.

It's a little weak, but the Haruspex died because she was the only one around who could have (and did) reveal how the killings were accomplished. So piety was tying up a loose end as she narrowed in on Philo. It may even be something goofy like Piety liked her Evil Grammy so much that she killed her because Evil Grammy wanted to be killed. Not the strongest plot point, but it makes -enough- sense to not be terrible. There might have been a deleted scene with the Haruspex getting all righteous about whatever dumbass it was summoning up an asher and taking it as a point of professional insult and threatening to hunt them down and bad voodoo them. I just assume there was one like that.

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
I'm posting with that tag from now on forever to make people think they're going blind. This is BETTER THAN SPARKLES

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There were a lot of things that happened in the first season that existed solely to move the plot forward. Not in a meaningless, hamfisted way like we got with the final season of GoT, but it did make the pacing of the show feel a little rushed. Especially at the end of season 1.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

nu_11

Beginning and middle were 8.5/10

End was 6/10

Goddamnit. I hate how shows have so much promise then just turn out to be mediocre.

iannis

Musty Nester
I expect next season they escape to faerie land with a band of misfits and legolas becomes a seelie king.

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I suppose... the reasoning behind Piety's actions just seem questionable in regards to her mentor. Haruspex never mentioned what killed her or why, which is why Piety told her to stay with her. Did I miss dialogue that made Piety want her dead? Piety knowing that the Hatuspex knows the owner of the Darkasher when she dies just means dont kill her? Maybe there were some deleted scenes that would have made their interactions make more sense. Pi's dismissal of her from her protection was basically a neon sign saying hey look I'm the bad guy, for the audience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Started this last night, only watched the first episode, love the setting, great production values, and the story was interesting for a first episode. Looking forward to watching more.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I suppose... the reasoning behind Piety's actions just seem questionable in regards to her mentor. Haruspex never mentioned what killed her or why, which is why Piety told her to stay with her.

"There is no cheating death.. especially when it's to come at the hand of a Dark Asher"
Piety looks shocked.
"A Dark Asher ? Tell me.."

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
"There is no cheating death.. especially when it's to come at the hand of a Dark Asher"
Piety looks shocked.
"A Dark Asher ? Tell me.."
Right? So Piety knows she kills her mentor, but why? Just because it is foretold doesnt mean she has no free will. She chooses to kill Haru because...?

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Fun show.. interesting enough plot.. Orlando Bloom continues to impress. Enjoyed the setting and the twisty plot. Also enjoyed the predictability of the usual suspects shitting up the thread with their sjw boogeyman fears.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Right? So Piety knows she kills her mentor, but why? Just because it is foretold doesnt mean she has no free will. She chooses to kill Haru because...?
Piety chooses to kill Haru because she realized that if she killed her in the future, there must have been a reason to do so and therefore she needs to do it. Speaking of Piety, I was super salty about the cute bear pet getting murdered so fuck that whore.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Love the setting but man, something about the story just doesn't pull me in. Found the whole thing pretty average which is a shame.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
I liked it as well but a lot of it was shot like a bad horror movie, dark and hard to see. Everything needed to be more gratuitous. More sex, more violence, more plot etc.. It all came off as just kind of poorly fleshed out and meh. Maybe they tried to tell too much story or something.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I liked it as well but a lot of it was shot like a bad horror movie, dark and hard to see. Everything needed to be more gratuitous. More sex, more violence, more plot etc.. It all came off as just kind of poorly fleshed out and meh. Maybe they tried to tell too much story or something.

I would say the first season was just too much setup. It was basically the first act of a movie. Which is unsatisfying because now we have to wait for S2 to see where it's going.

iannis

Musty Nester
It reminds me of a prettier altered carbon. And better storywise. Carbon wasn't bad, but the story was just as thin.

It's not a masterpiece but it is pretty good. Story is thin in parts, but that's ok. They didn't inject some woke bullshit into it. Just a standard class struggle.

A show like this relies on production value as much as the story. It really did look nice. The haruspex costume itself was neat.

I dunno, it's not A+ tier. More like A- tier. I still give it an A though.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rime

<Donor>
It reminds me of a prettier altered carbon. And better storywise. Carbon wasn't bad, but the story was just as thin.

It's not a masterpiece but it is pretty good. Story is thin in parts, but that's ok. They didn't inject some woke bullshit into it. Just a standard class struggle.

A show like this relies on production value as much as the story. It really did look nice. The haruspex costume itself was neat.

I dunno, it's not A+ tier. More like A- tier. I still give it an A though.
Altered Carbon was good until they departed from the book, then it all fell apart.

I have enjoyed Carnival Row, but I feel what other's are saying. It was so much setup and very little payoff.

Also, Orlando Bloom cannot act. He is so wooden in everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Really? Thought Bloom was one of the highlights. Actually think the acting across the board is one of those shows stronger qualities.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
They tricked all of us into watching Downton Abbey.

• 2Worf