CFB 2013-2014

I kind of hope the final BCS is a big ol' clusterfuck with Alabama, Oregon, OSU, Klempson, and Mizzou all undefeated...just because it needs to be remembered as a wholly inadequate piece of shit. Hell, put Baylor up there too.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
It would be really dumb for a team to go undefeated for a potential two years and get denied a spot. I can't even begin to think of the OSU fans who would absolutely flip their shit and probably murder anyone involved with the bcs.

shattuck_sl

shitlord
And they'd have no one to blame but themselves for scheduling so weakly. If you want to take history into account, no one wants to see Ohio State get their shit kicked in by an SEC team in the national championship again. And they would absolutely get their shit kicked in by Alabama

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I kind of hope the final BCS is a big ol' clusterfuck with Alabama, Oregon, OSU, Klempson, and Mizzou all undefeated...just because it needs to be remembered as a wholly inadequate piece of shit. Hell, put Baylor up there too.
Have you seen the selection comitte for next year? It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The members of the CFP selection committee are:

? Jeff Long, vice chancellor and director of athletics, University of Arkansas-Fayetteville, Chair

? Barry Alvarez, director of athletics, University of Wisconsin-Madison

? Lieutenant General Mike Gould, former superintendent of the United States Air Force Academy

? Pat Haden, director of athletics, University of Southern California

? Tom Jernstedt, former NCAA executive vice president

? Oliver Luck, director of athletics, West Virginia University

? Archie Manning, former University of Mississippi quarterback and all-pro NFL quarterback

? Tom Osborne, former head coach and director of athletics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln

? Dan Radakovich, director of athletics, Clemson University

? Condoleezza Rice, Stanford University professor, former Stanford provost and former United States Secretary of State

? Mike Tranghese, former commissioner of the Big East Conference

? Steve Wieberg, former college football reporter, USA Today

? Tyrone Willingham, former head coach of three FBS institutions

It is going to be awesome when Oliver Luck is hired as the next Texas AD.
biggrin.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, unfortunately even in this hypothetical scenario, both Alabama and Mizzou can't be undefeated. They'd play each other in the SEC title game if that is the case and one of them would lose. I *think* that it is now impossible for any of the BCS conferences to have 2 undefeated teams at the end of the year now that the B10 has a championship game(Back when they just had 11 teams and no championship game, you'd miss playing a couple teams every year, so it was possible).

I'd love to see an SEC, B10, P12, and ACC team all undefeated at the end of the year. That would instantly settle the questions of which 2 conferences were the toughest(hint, it would be the SEC and P12 teams playing in the title game, although an undefeated Clemson would be close, since they will have played 2 ranked SEC teams in their non-con, Georgia and South Carolina)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'd like to see 4 undefeateds at the end of the year too.

ACC - Florida State has Clemson (this weekend), Miami, and Florida to overcome. Clemson has Florida State and South Carolina. A lot can happen there.
SEC - Really don't see anyone beating Alabama, but who knows, LSU could screw their season. I do think Mizzou drops at least one during the regular season (sorry Joe, would like to see an undefeated Mizz vs. Alabama though).
PAC - Oregon or UCLA will play out in a couple of weeks so we should have that answer assuming UCLA survives Stanford.
B10 - Ohio State bus might crash on the way to playing someone, but yeah they'll probably be undefeated

At the very least there are interesting story lines and a nice set up for drama and screaming the last few weeks. Just how I like it!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Oh yeah, I have no doubt Mizzou isn't going undefeated. My ideal scenario would actually be to lose to South Carolina, have them go to the SEC title game to get slaughtered by Alabama, and Mizzou sitting there with an 11-1 record come bowl time with our loss not being the immediate week prior to bowl selection. I have no desire to play Alabama, they would have beat us by 100 last year if the game hadn't been delayed by an act of god(lightning) which killed their momentum.

Realistically though, we're probably looking at a 10-3, 11-2ish season. I think out of Florida, South Carolina, and A&M(all @Mizzou) we lose 2 of those 3 at least(Florida being the only possible win) without our starting QB. Heck, we probably go 2-1 at best even with our starting QB.

Borzak

Just goes to show that the South and good education or common sense do not go hand in hand.
Because I spelled committee wrong while in a hurry on my phone this morning (which I have auto correct turned off because it changes many of the words used in my business)?

I'm wondering how you know where I went to school? I never attended a university in the south. Both my undergraduate and graduate degrees are from schools not in the south FYI.

So next year instead of having people vote in polls that nobody knows and a computer program nobody understands, we're going to have people who are well known and subject to political pressure voting on the teams that will play for a title. How is that not going to be worse when it's limited to four schools?

Then throw in several of the members have come out and said they are fans of XX school since they were named. Some have said there's lots of pressure to get a school from each major conference into the playoff regardless of where they fall in the final standings.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

At least right now if a team gets left out of a BCS game or the title game they can look and see if it was the computers, the polls, their schedule or whatever that left them out. Next year it could be because they didn't kiss enough ass, didn't do well in a previous years game which would have no bearing on this years game etc...Or maybe they are just tired of a school winning the title every year, or a school from the same conference.

If they want to do a playoff, then have a playoff. Have set rules and take the top 4 or 8 out of the BCS final standings, or top from each conference. Not a fan of having a panel pick them with limited number of picks.

Let's not forget it's not just picking the top four.

"I'm going to tell you, strength of schedule is going to matter a lot, head to head is going to matter a lot, and I think this is going to encourage teams to play a tougher schedule," Rice told Cowherd. "The committee is getting together soon and I'm looking forward to having the chance to discuss this without the pressure of picking teams."

Besides picking the four teams for the College Football Playoff, the selection committee will be responsible for ranking and placing at-large teams in the noncontract New Year's Day bowls (Cotton, Fiesta and Chick-fil-A).

The committee also must select the highest ranked champion from the non-Power Five leagues (American, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt), which will receive an automatic bid to one of the six bowls associated with the College Football Playoff.
So they are going to use strength of schedule and then follow it up by "automatic bid". Yes, it's going to get worse before it gets better.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
Because I spelled committee wrong while in a hurry on my phone this morning (which I have auto correct turned off because it changes many of the words used in my business)?

I'm wondering how you know where I went to school? I never attended a university in the south. Both my undergraduate and graduate degrees are from schools not in the south FYI.

So next year instead of having people vote in polls that nobody knows and a computer program nobody understands, we're going to have people who are well known and subject to political pressure voting on the teams that will play for a title. How is that not going to be worse when it's limited to four schools?

Then throw in several of the members have come out and said they are fans of XX school since they were named. Some have said there's lots of pressure to get a school from each major conference into the playoff regardless of where they fall in the final standings.

It's going to get worse before it gets better.

At least right now if a team gets left out of a BCS game or the title game they can look and see if it was the computers, the polls, their schedule or whatever that left them out. Next year it could be because they didn't kiss enough ass, didn't do well in a previous years game which would have no bearing on this years game etc...Or maybe they are just tired of a school winning the title every year, or a school from the same conference.

If they want to do a playoff, then have a playoff. Have set rules and take the top 4 or 8 out of the BCS final standings, or top from each conference. Not a fan of having a panel pick them with limited number of picks.

Let's not forget it's not just picking the top four.

So they are going to use strength of schedule and then follow it up by "automatic bid". Yes, it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Well, for the automatic bid, that only gets them into one of the premier bowl games, not into the playoff. (well, guess that is what you said. But still, no big deal really)

This is absolutely going to be a trainwreck. I honestly can't believe Slive is going along with it. It's easy to imagine that you've got an SEC team sitting at 4 (or what would be 4 in today's BCS) with the SEC champ sitting at 1 and these people deciding "Well, I see X-team there at 4, but we *can't* leave the Big 12 out" and in comes Baylor from the 7-spot.

Make it 8 teams ASAP.

Borzak

In the article I got the quote from they say the number of members will go up and down as they rotate in and out. They will release the rankings they vote on 4 times a year, but I'm not sure they will release how each member voted. But there's no published rules on how they will come up with a ranking from how they vote.

I could see it working on a larger scale, but not with four teams.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Copy DIIs fucking playoff. We all know the whole horseshit about finals and stuff are is just that as D2 teams dont have players flunking out because of the playoffs. Top seeds get byes, higher ranked teams for the first couple rounds get to play on their home field as a reward for doing well in the regular season.

Would be fucking amazing and rival March Madness in awesomeness of actual competition and settling everything on the field. If you want have the semis etc be hosted by the BCS venues. Alas, we will suffer through this sea of shit instead.

Borzak

Spurrier quote today "Will be the 14th time I've coached in Neyland Stadium. ... I've coached there more than some of their head coaches.".