Chapter 7 Bankruptcy & Renting Issues

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I figured out what his plan is.

He has no plans to fix the brewing mold. His sole plan is to just wait for the staining to stop spreading and then paint over it, leaving the mold inside the walls

This makes sense when you look at his demand for me to leave or be evicted because under California law you DONT have to disclose mold issues to future tenants if the landlord believes that the issue has been satisfactorily addressed.

I'm getting an independent water damage guy to come out on Saturday to do his own examination. I bet it's a fucking clusterfuck inside those walls and ceiling.
This blows man, truly awful shit I dread having to deal with one day.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

He has no plans to fix the brewing mold. His sole plan is to just wait for the staining to stop spreading and then paint over it, leaving the mold inside the walls

This makes sense when you look at his demand for me to leave or be evicted because under California law you DONT have to disclose mold issues to future tenants if the landlord believes that the issue has been satisfactorily addressed.

I'm getting an independent water damage guy to come out on Saturday to do his own examination. I bet it's a fucking clusterfuck inside those walls and ceiling.

It will be. Tell your landlord two words. Black-mold and lawyer.

I have some elderly associates who were renting a place to absolute scumbags that flooded sections of the house and let it dry over and over and then sued for blackmold. The insurance company sent over inspectors and lawyers and the inspector said it was normal rot, no mold. Insurance still settled with the shitbags for 13k.

They dont fuck around with mold lawsuits.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Had independent water damage guys come out today, everything is water logged. They had these thermal cameras that showed the extent of water damage, it's seen on half of master bedroom, all of the bathroom and all of the walk in closet.

Talked to them and asked if the landlord plan to just let it dry for few days is viable, they laughed at the whole thing. Said $2K to dry it out by bringing in humidifiers and fans and cutting holes in walls to get the moisture out and then you have to strip everything to the studs to fix it, no other way around it.

They also pointed out that this building was built in 1990s so it used the insulation that was all cloth/fiber like, so all that insulation is water logged.

Anyways, I got another group of guys coming in a week (need time for mold to start showing up) to take samples and do lab tests so I can shove it in landlords face

Wife and I already agreed on the plan. We buy a house in next 3 months, pay zero rent, and tell these assholes to go fuck themselves

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Had independent water damage guys come out today, everything is water logged. They had these thermal cameras that showed the extent of water damage, it's seen on half of master bedroom, all of the bathroom and all of the walk in closet.

Talked to them and asked if the landlord plan to just let it dry for few days is viable, they laughed at the whole thing. Said $2K to dry it out by bringing in humidifiers and fans and cutting holes in walls to get the moisture out and then you have to strip everything to the studs to fix it, no other way around it.

They also pointed out that this building was built in 1990s so it used the insulation that was all cloth/fiber like, so all that insulation is water logged.

Anyways, I got another group of guys coming in a week (need time for mold to start showing up) to take samples and do lab tests so I can shove it in landlords face

Wife and I already agreed on the plan. We buy a house in next 3 months, pay zero rent, and tell these assholes to go fuck themselves
Good luck. That sounds like a solid plan. There's this 'implied warrant of habitability' law that makes it completely reasonable to not pay your landlord anything.

With regards to our asbestos situation, it sounds similar. We were told when we are ready to leave, to pay one month's rent ($1665) to 'break the lease'. We finalize our new home soon and I plan to tell them to get bent, or go to court about it, as it's pretty unreasonable to ask for that when I have a 2bd 2.5ba that isn't even a full functioning unit. If they go to court, they may end up owing me instead as I have been paying full rent this whole time, and I'd argue that I should have half of it back, as half of the unit was unusable.

There's landlords that will evict you without doing it legally, though. We're leaving in the last 30 days notice, because we don't want to be fucked with ourselves by shitty landlords that endangered us enough with a cancer causing substance - and it's cheaper to hire someone to remove us than it is deal with the asbestos. It's not a stretch to think that they will give us issues about not paying, laws be damned.

Be prepared for illegal lock changing, or them hiring a private company to do it for them, or invasion of privacy. It's commonplace in some places like CA where it's cheaper to do that than it is to deal with the courts, especially with the eviction moratorium still in place for another month. In January, expect that moratorium to be expired and for occasional chaos to begin with renting.

Last edited:

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

If you move, I'd consider taking pics and sending them to the address every 6 months for a while. Fuck this guy. He may not need to tell future tenants but still seems it'd have to be lawsuit under some kind of CA ordinance worthy if it can be shown he didnt do anything to render it safe.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
An update.

1. I got preapproved for a $600K mortgage with a 2.75% on a 30 year fixed note today, so we are getting the fuck out in next few months and buying a house out here in Cali. I hate this state and their ghey ass commie government, but we make too much money here to leave. No matter where'd we go, we would basically be losing one income, mine or hers.

2. I had mold guys come out this morning to take samples. Landlord must have noticed them, because as soon as they left, the maintenance guy (MG) showed up to do work (i havent heard from the landlord or the maintenance guy in a week since the flood happened). MG pulled off all the base boards where the damage was to let it dry, cut a hole in the ceiling to air it out and brought 2 industrial fans to air it out. He also admitted that the damage was bigger than he originally thought, but he still tried to downplay the whole thing.

The reality is that he underestimated the damage and I overestimated it. Once we cut holes in the ceiling and the wall, it wasnt as fucked up as I thought it would be. And when we pulled the baseboards off where I expected to find the 4 year mold on the other side of the apt, there was nothing there, so they did fix it properly 4 years ago when that old flood went down. Mold guy said though that he saw very tiny bit of mold from this new flood forming on baseboard, so he took a sample of it and we sent it to the lab with 4 other samples. Even if it comes back positive for mold, I dont think it matters since they are fixing this shit already.

I wanted to withhold rent and sue this fuckhead of a landlord because he fucked me over on a bunch of shit before, but it seems like he's in the clear and so I cant withhold rent, but at least I get to save some face without looking like a total spaz faggot by being somewhat right about the seriousness of this and for getting him to move on this shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
An update.

1. I got preapproved for a $600K mortgage with a 2.75% on a 30 year fixed note today, so we are getting the fuck out in next few months and buying a house out here in Cali. I hate this state and their ghey ass commie government, but we make too much money here to leave. No matter where'd we go, we would basically be losing one income, mine or hers.

2. I had mold guys come out this morning to take samples. Landlord must have noticed them, because as soon as they left, the maintenance guy (MG) showed up to do work (i havent heard from the landlord or the maintenance guy in a week since the flood happened). MG pulled off all the base boards where the damage was to let it dry, cut a hole in the ceiling to air it out and brought 2 industrial fans to air it out. He also admitted that the damage was bigger than he originally thought, but he still tried to downplay the whole thing.

The reality is that he underestimated the damage and I overestimated it. Once we cut holes in the ceiling and the wall, it wasnt as fucked up as I thought it would be. And when we pulled the baseboards off where I expected to find the 4 year mold on the other side of the apt, there was nothing there, so they did fix it properly 4 years ago when that old flood went down. Mold guy said though that he saw very tiny bit of mold from this new flood forming on baseboard, so he took a sample of it and we sent it to the lab with 4 other samples. Even if it comes back positive for mold, I dont think it matters since they are fixing this shit already.

I wanted to withhold rent and sue this fuckhead of a landlord because he fucked me over on a bunch of shit before, but it seems like he's in the clear and so I cant withhold rent, but at least I get to save some face without looking like a total spaz faggot by being somewhat right about the seriousness of this and for getting him to move on this shit.
You can't do 100% remote? I am finding totally remote positions everywhere now for tech work.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
You can't do 100% remote? I am finding totally remote positions everywhere now for tech work.

Everyone in my industry wants to work remote and my industry is saturated with freelancers who are willing to take substantial paybcuts to live in the sticks and have a 9-5

• 2Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Update on my purchase:
Moving my stuff in on the 8th of December. The place appraised for 72k, and the guy wants to get the fuck out of there and the purchase agreement is for 50k total - 44,500 mortgage, and I put 6500 up front.

It's going quicker than expected, and I owe it to this board (and reddit, really) for getting my shit together. Also helps that we had extended family that apparently was wanting to just toss money at us to ensure our safety from both myself and another occupant, so that solidified the deal and I am getting out of the asbestos-ridden shithole with only one condition: I pay the buyout fee of $1662, and they will reconcile the rent we owe for December when we notify them we are out of there. We make a billing agreement for anything left over with their finance department, and we leave happy and without any negative remarks on our credit report.

I have a plan to sell the unit when I am done with it, to a family member (sister) who I grew up living with, who is going through a mental crisis due to my father drinking in the same house as her. That will give us at minimum $45,000 once we decide to move out, and make sure it goes to someone within my family - so ultimately, we're in position to get a FHA loan a year and a half down the line, or a traditional mortgage in 2024.

I came into this thread hopeless, but you FOH bros gave me the courage to go out and stop being a fucking pussy and get my options all laid out. Appreciate it more than I can type here in words.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Glad it worked out for you. Enjoy home ownership and hopefully your neighbors aren't the loud kind.

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
Update on my purchase:
Moving my stuff in on the 8th of December. The place appraised for 72k, and the guy wants to get the fuck out of there and the purchase agreement is for 50k total - 44,500 mortgage, and I put 6500 up front.

It's going quicker than expected, and I owe it to this board (and reddit, really) for getting my shit together. Also helps that we had extended family that apparently was wanting to just toss money at us to ensure our safety from both myself and another occupant, so that solidified the deal and I am getting out of the asbestos-ridden shithole with only one condition: I pay the buyout fee of $1662, and they will reconcile the rent we owe for December when we notify them we are out of there. We make a billing agreement for anything left over with their finance department, and we leave happy and without any negative remarks on our credit report.

I have a plan to sell the unit when I am done with it, to a family member (sister) who I grew up living with, who is going through a mental crisis due to my father drinking in the same house as her. That will give us at minimum $45,000 once we decide to move out, and make sure it goes to someone within my family - so ultimately, we're in position to get a FHA loan a year and a half down the line, or a traditional mortgage in 2024.

I came into this thread hopeless, but you FOH bros gave me the courage to go out and stop being a fucking pussy and get my options all laid out. Appreciate it more than I can type here in words.
God damn. Your appraised value is less than my down payment. God us in BC got skull fucked by all the laundering.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Renting is for pleebs bro.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
After my second divorce, and spending far and above what I could afford in lawyers to fight for custody of my youngest child (way more) I filed for bankruptcy two years ago this month and it will be two years discharged this February.

over that time I’ve taken out two small loans that will be paid off before feb hits, and have used credit cards a lot, paying them off quickly once they show reported balances. I also got a car last year and refinanced it for half the original rate two months ago.

I’ve not consulted with anyone during this and I’m far from a financial expert, but my credit shit tanked when I filed the bankruptcy (obviously) and I’ve worked hard to rebuild it. I’m not sure what a decent credit score should be after a bankruptcy but come feb I’m going to start working on getting approved for a home loan. Hopefully it goes well.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
After my second divorce, and spending far and above what I could afford in lawyers to fight for custody of my youngest child (way more) I filed for bankruptcy two years ago this month and it will be two years discharged this February.

over that time I’ve taken out two small loans that will be paid off before feb hits, and have used credit cards a lot, paying them off quickly once they show reported balances. I also got a car last year and refinanced it for half the original rate two months ago.

I’ve not consulted with anyone during this and I’m far from a financial expert, but my credit shit tanked when I filed the bankruptcy (obviously) and I’ve worked hard to rebuild it. I’m not sure what a decent credit score should be after a bankruptcy but come feb I’m going to start working on getting approved for a home loan. Hopefully it goes well.
The most important factors are never being late and your available credit to credit ratio. And, of course, bankruptcy. I could be wrong on this, but just because your bankruptcy is legally discharged doesn't mean it goes off your credit report. Those usually sit for 7 or 10 years on your report depending on which one you filed.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The most important factors are never being late and your available credit to credit ratio. And, of course, bankruptcy. I could be wrong on this, but just because your bankruptcy is legally discharged doesn't mean it goes off your credit report. Those usually sit for 7 or 10 years on your report depending on which one you filed.
No it’ll still be there for years to come, but once it hits 2 years from discharge I can start qualifying for home loans again...or so that’s how it was explained to me by the bank.

and yeah I’ve never been late on a payment, even during this pandemic craziness. I’ve busted my ass, quite literally, working obscene hours to pay things off as quickly as I can prior to me trying to get financing for a home.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
No it’ll still be there for years to come, but once it hits 2 years from discharge I can start qualifying for home loans again...or so that’s how it was explained to me by the bank.
Yeah you are correct. Its tough but not impossible. Look to go FHA as the bank will be much more likely if the govt is backing the loan. the best thing to do is what you are doing. keep building positive credit factors like never being late and not running high balances. Use that to show a solid history since the bankruptcy

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah you are correct. Its tough but not impossible. Look to go FHA as the bank will be much more likely if the govt is backing the loan. the best thing to do is what you are doing. keep building positive credit factors like never being late and not running high balances. Use that to show a solid history since the bankruptcy

the two loans I took out were more so to have something to help show payment history on than actually needing them. Both are scheduled to be paid off in 2022, but both will be paid off in January of 2021.

credit cards were something I never used before, I don’t like the idea of spending money I don’t have. I get why they are convenient to have, but years of upbringing counter programmed me to them.

anyways, post bankruptcy I applied and got two. I make sure to not run their balances too high and pay them all off quickly as well.

when I got my car back January my interest rate was sky high at 22%. I paid that for 8 months and refinanced through my credit union in October for 7.9%. I figured that was a good sign I was moving the right direction.

I’ve been going at this blind really, just doing things that logically, made sense to me. I don’t make a lot of money, in fact, I make the exact opposite of a lot of money. But the money I do make, I try to put to the best use as possible. I miss when I made decent money, but circumstances dictate I will be in the area I’m in for the foreseeable future, so I’ve adapted as best as I can and try to make the most of it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
the two loans I took out were more so to have something to help show payment history on than actually needing them. Both are scheduled to be paid off in 2022, but both will be paid off in January of 2021.

credit cards were something I never used before, I don’t like the idea of spending money I don’t have. I get why they are convenient to have, but years of upbringing counter programmed me to them.

anyways, post bankruptcy I applied and got two. I make sure to not run their balances too high and pay them all off quickly as well.

when I got my car back January my interest rate was sky high at 22%. I paid that for 8 months and refinanced through my credit union in October for 7.9%. I figured that was a good sign I was moving the right direction.

I’ve been going at this blind really, just doing things that logically, made sense to me. I don’t make a lot of money, in fact, I make the exact opposite of a lot of money. But the money I do make, I try to put to the best use as possible. I miss when I made decent money, but circumstances dictate I will be in the area I’m in for the foreseeable future, so I’ve adapted as best as I can and try to make the most of it.
Sounds like you are doing the right things. For a house make sure to shop your credit union. If you have a relationship there with good history it will help on the interest rate. Since you have a ways to go on the bankruptcy leaving your credit report, maybe price out a 7 yr adjustable rate that you can refi once your credit rating clears.

• 1Like