Chat GPT AI

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
So it just occurred to me that students trying to use ChatGPT to write papers (papers that will probably get a C at best but hey Cs get degrees...) should use some of the pre-existing paraphraser tools out there as an extra level of obfuscation to trick the algorithms that try to detect AI generated text 🤔

Sites like this https://quillbot.com/
Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 21-24-23 ChatGPT.png

ted-lasso-potential.gif

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Lol.

But no, the algorithms are being designed to detect the specific patterns of output in models like ChatGPT. The extra level of obfuscation by passing it through a THIRD PARTY paraphraser is what I'm talking about. Feeding ChatGPT text back into itself isn't going to do shit to avoid a ChatGPT detecting algorithm, clearly.
Paraphrasers are AI tools too. I wouldn't bet against AI detectors (who are AI themselves, the traitors!) being unable to detect paraphrasers.

The "humanness score" tool, notably, might be able to detect human written text, rather than specific AI text.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Paraphrasers are AI tools too. I wouldn't bet against AI detectors (who are AI themselves, the traitors!) being unable to detect paraphrasers.

The "humanness score" tool, notably, might be able to detect human written text, rather than specific AI text.
I had no illusions that it was a FOOLPROOF plan. But running it through a few AI algorithms will certainly add another level of obfuscation that will make it *harder* to detect.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The trick is, a student could use the AI to write the basis of a paper and then spend some time using that basis and creating an actual paper. BUT, the student who is smart enough to do this will most likely not need to use the AI and will just write their own paper. The one who needs the AI will be too stupid and lazy to modify the output and will instead just turn it in as it came out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
There is a pretty easy solution to all this bullshit in terms of student writing. People arent ready to accept it yet but it will happen because its inevitable, and inevitable things tend to happen eventually.

Welcome back to the handwritten essay question written during the test period, in the classroom.

No writing composed outside of the classroom shall be worth any points toward your grade.

AI that, bitch

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There is a pretty easy solution to all this bullshit in terms of student writing. People arent ready to accept it yet but it will happen because its inevitable, and inevitable things tend to happen eventually.

Welcome back to the handwritten essay question written during the test period, in the classroom.

AI that, bitch
The problem with this is teachers are lazy as fuck and just want scantrons so they can shove them in a reader and let it do the grading. Using essays is actual work to grade and wont happen.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Absolutely, it is the teachers resisting it.

But its inevitable anyway.
My first year as a TA I had hand written weekly essays to grade. It was absolute AIDS. My dog had better penmanship and grammar. At week three I told them it would only be accepted if it was typed in Word or Google Docs. Fuck handwritten shit.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The trick is, a student could use the AI to write the basis of a paper and then spend some time using that basis and creating an actual paper. BUT, the student who is smart enough to do this will most likely not need to use the AI and will just write their own paper. The one who needs the AI will be too stupid and lazy to modify the output and will instead just turn it in as it came out.
Oh yeah for sure. I'm hopefully going back to college this year to finally finish my degree (still a few pieces to put together) and I have no intention of using AI to write anything haha. But someone who was smart and lazy and trying to just get a C to get through one of their bullshit electives or something tho? Definitely the best way to go, passing it through a few algorithms.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Lots of people here already know my real name, honestly. Was pretty open with it when I was fundraising back when I was going through chemo. Tho I never took the link out of the Health Problems thread in the Grown Up Stuff forum, so I suppose the trolls maybe didn't learn it then. 🤔

1674139743728.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My first year as a TA I had hand written weekly essays to grade. It was absolute AIDS. My dog had better penmanship and grammar. At week three I told them it would only be accepted if it was typed in Word or Google Docs. Fuck handwritten shit.
Fuck you, you're giving me flashbacks to when I TA'd a class of 200 in grad school. I'll die a happy man if I never see another human's handwriting.

So it just occurred to me that students trying to use ChatGPT to write papers (papers that will probably get a C at best but hey Cs get degrees...)

I've already seen teachers claiming that the dead giveaway of ChatGPT use was that the essays were too good, like by far the best in the class.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've already seen teachers claiming that the dead giveaway of ChatGPT use was that the essays were too good, like by far the best in the class.
Really? I've seen a lot of educators say that ChatGPT essays are D- to C+ material at best. Well written in a purely linguistic sense but with inaccuracies in the information.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Really? I've seen a lot of educators say that ChatGPT essays are D- to C+ material at best. Well written in a purely linguistic sense but with inaccuracies in the information.

I'm sure it depends on the subject matter. The example I saw was of a college ethics class.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure it depends on the subject matter. The example I saw was of a college ethics class.
Ahhh yeah that's pretty believable then. I'm used to mostly just thinking about the way things affect the future of STEM fields. Probably true of soft subjects in general that ChatGPT can do passable work. In particular, creative writing classes are FUCKED.

• 1Like