Chat GPT AI

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So MS got Sam Altman, Brockman and god knows how many techs that will follow. Murati already resigned from OpenAI too.

1700468739415.png

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
More discussion of this in the investing thread. The vast majority of OpenAI employees signed a letter demanding the board resign or they'll all go to Microsoft.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
More discussion of this in the investing thread. The vast majority of OpenAI employees signed a letter demanding the board resign or they'll all go to Microsoft.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, teams of people making potentially world-altering technologies should absolutely be making these kinds of decisions on very little sleep.

I really hope this shit just turns out to be really expensive autocomplete.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Yeah, teams of people making potentially world-altering technologies should absolutely be making these kinds of decisions on very little sleep.

I really hope this shit just turns out to be really expensive autocomplete.

Crosspost from investing:

The employee revolt makes a lot more sense now. These board shenanigans just fucked them all out of a windfall that would have set their great-grandchildren up in perpetuity. I'd set the place on fire on my way out, too.

"OpenAI employees were in the middle of a tender offer that was set to end at the beginning of December, in which Thrive Capital and potential others had offered to purchase their shares at an $86 billion valuation. The money has not yet been wired, and that deal is as good as dead without Altman back at OpenAI, meaning the employees have a lot to lose in the current Altman-to-Microsoft scenario too."

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Crosspost from investing:

The employee revolt makes a lot more sense now. These board shenanigans just fucked them all out of a windfall that would have set their great-grandchildren up in perpetuity. I'd set the place on fire on my way out, too.

"OpenAI employees were in the middle of a tender offer that was set to end at the beginning of December, in which Thrive Capital and potential others had offered to purchase their shares at an $86 billion valuation. The money has not yet been wired, and that deal is as good as dead without Altman back at OpenAI, meaning the employees have a lot to lose in the current Altman-to-Microsoft scenario too."

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Imagine MSFT ends up getting 90% of the employees, the CEO and probably all the ideas for basically free.

Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Imagine MSFT ends up getting 90% of the employees, the CEO and probably all the ideas for basically free.

Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent
The ideas are all basically free already. It's all based on public research, largely seven years old. Most of the special sauce is at the application/presentation level, which is that last layer of filtering in the browser or app.

• 2Moron
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is interesting and also true, a rare combo these days.

• 1Garbage

Fucker

Log Wizard
This is a conflict between Dustin Moskovitz and Sam Altman. Ilya may have been brought into this without his knowledge (which might explain why he retracted his position).
Dustin Moskovitz was an early employee at FB, and the founder of Asana. He also created (along with plenty of MSFT bigwigs) a non-profit called Open Philanthropy, which was a early proponent of a form of Effective Altruism and also gave OpenAI their $30M grant. He is also one of the early investors in Anthropic.

Most of the OpenAI board members are related to Dustin Moskovitz this way.
- Adam D'Angelo is on the board of Asana and is a good friend to both Moskovitz and Altman
- Helen Toner worked for Dustin Moskovitz at Open Philanthropy and managed their grant to OpenAI. She was also a member of the Centre for the Governance of AI when McCauley was a board member there. Shortly after Toner left, the Centre for the Governance of AI got a $1M grant from Open Philanthropy and McCauley joined the board of OpenAI
- Tasha McCauley represents the Centre for the Governance of AI, which Dustin Moskovitz gave a $1M grant to via Open Philanthropy and McCauley ended up joining the board of OpenAI
Over the past few months, Dustin Moskovitz has also been increasingly warning about AI Safety.

In essense, it looks like a split between Sam Altman and Dustin Moskovitz.

• 1Like