Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
The sets and the strange 50's decor and the pastiche with modern-day was also a solid decision.

It is such a beautiful show to watch, however. It peaks at Episode 5, which is a somewhat commonly-used dream trope, but well done none-the-less.

I haven't watched this but I've been watching Riverdale and the aesthetic is very similar. The Archer vibe with time period ambiguity with the 50's combined with modern world is really cool, and a good holmage to the birth period for these comics.

And I never thought I would notice the cinematography in a teen dramedy, but the use of darker then normal shots with over-saturated colors looks so amazing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Season 2 is now available to watch!

edit: Oh boy, S2E1 is going to really rile up people, lol.

Last edited:

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
2 episodes in and I cant roll my eyes far enough at all the forced LGBTQ womyn power tripe. Hopefully they'll double down on the actual storyline. I'm all for gender equality etc, but watching Sabrina help "Theo" during basketball tryouts just made me wonder what he she whatever is gonna do when its game time and Sabrina isnt around to cheat for her...him...whatever.

Judgment reserved until I've watched the whole thing (they might address it later) but a big part of me hopes they dont becauseit's so, so, so contrived.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
2 episodes in and I cant roll my eyes far enough at all the forced LGBTQ womyn power tripe. Hopefully they'll double down on the actual storyline. I'm all for gender equality etc, but watching Sabrina help "Theo" during basketball tryouts just made me wonder what he she whatever is gonna do when its game time and Sabrina isnt around to cheat for her...him...whatever.

Judgment reserved until I've watched the whole thing (they might address it later) but a big part of me hopes they dont becauseit's so, so, so contrived.

I usually chuckle sovietly when people say "OMG Stop force feeding me LGBQPBBQ stufffs!" But yeah, after watching season 2 a few episodes in, my god. It's so obvious. Sticking with it for now....

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I usually chuckle sovietly when people say "OMG Stop force feeding me LGBQPBBQ stufffs!" But yeah, after watching season 2 a few episodes in, my god. It's so obvious. Sticking with it for now....
Been holding off on this due to the above comments. Has it lightened up further into the season or is it full-steam ahead? If the latter then I'm deleting it from my queue....

Rime

<Donor>
On the 5th episode of the new season... the transgender character character (Susie/Theo?) plays a much larger role in this season/has more screen time. First two episodes are very, very heavy handed with it. It does even out some, but there is a whole lot of Grrl Power (which is to be expected, given the source material).

If you made it through the first season, you should be fine with the second.

• 1Like

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
I give it a firm hard pass if you haven't bothered yet. The character 180s in the 2nd act are just straight ludicrous. They *finally* realize Faustus is a misogynist after only 10000 examples. It takes the daughter only 7 betrayals before she accepts he is a douchebag? Lucifer, satan, whatever is the bees knees until suddenly his not really veiled intentions are recognized!!! Seriously...there is a footnote in a book that literally details his exact plan. No one bothered to read it *in its entirety*. Alas he is the bad guy! But wait didnt you know that? Being you know human-sacrificing witches coven that you are? Ugh... The ending was also super, super weak and the final line of the season spoken by Sabrina made me laugh it was so inept and stupid. I'm pretty sure the girl cant actually act after watching this either. The LGTBBQ stuff tapers down only to reveal it was covering up shitty writing and horrible plot.

• 1Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I give it a firm hard pass if you haven't bothered yet. The character 180s in the 2nd act are just straight ludicrous. They *finally* realize Faustus is a misogynist after only 10000 examples. It takes the daughter only 7 betrayals before she accepts he is a douchebag? Lucifer, satan, whatever is the bees knees until suddenly his not really veiled intentions are recognized!!! Seriously...there is a footnote in a book that literally details his exact plan. No one bothered to read it *in its entirety*. Alas he is the bad guy! But wait didnt you know that? Being you know human-sacrificing witches coven that you are? Ugh... The ending was also super, super weak and the final line of the season spoken by Sabrina made me laugh it was so inept and stupid. I'm pretty sure the girl cant actually act after watching this either. The LGTBBQ stuff tapers down only to reveal it was covering up shitty writing and horrible plot.

But are her adventures chilling?

• 1Worf

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
But are her adventures chilling?
Maybe if you are a patriarchy-loving cis-white male? Then they are super chilling. All those womyn with their powerful ideas. Shit, they even managed to bungle THAT - most of the non-white females (aka all of the witch coven not named Sabrina) were dumb, constantly being trashed, and were as mind-numbingly one dimensional as they managed to portray literally every male on this show.
No joke, zero men on this were decent human beings. Zero non-white females were decent or smarter than a bread box. None of this should really make a difference but the writers try SO hard to make this show progressively relevant to whatever their target audience is. Makes it really hard to enjoy a story - and this show definitely had the ability to tell a decent story - the set up was great, but they dropped the ball really hard. Like they weren't really sure what they wanted to do with her once she had her name signed in the book.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"im going blind, so reading all the books I can is important!"
I mean, except braille is a thing. and so are audio books..

Is this show actually set in todays time? All the cars I've seen are ancient, no computers on any of the school desks and I don't think I've seen a single cell phone.

So Audio Books aren't a thing yet.

Rime

<Donor>
The era of the show is intentionally vague.

But Harvey is shown using a modern cell phone several times, as well as Ambrose using a laptop.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah but those can be chalked up to "bad writing" without batting an eye.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It's similar to Riverdale, isn't it? Feels like it takes place in a 50s era setting yet is modern.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Man has this show gone to shit!

I liked the concept. Even with the weak casting for Sabrina. Watching Season 3 now. It's painfully stupid.