Chromecast - the new Google TV

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
For those interested in seeing what the chromecast is capable of, you might want to check out Koushik Dutta's posts on G+:https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts

Since the SDK isn't finished yet he's not allowed to release any of his work on it, but he's got chromecast getting video from google drive, dropbox and directly from a computer, with playback controls on an adroid device.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 25, 2013 (Order# 104-3730093-0877065):

"Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player"
Estimated arrival date: October 17, 2013 - October 30, 2013

/sadpanda

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Full of fail. You could always check your local Best Buy(s) (search on the website). That is how I found the only 1 left in a 50 mile radius.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I finally just got my Netflix code in an email yesterday, a good week after the device was delivered. Pretty slow on Amazon's part.

I hope the ability to pull videos just straight off of your network is available soon, until that happens I won't be using it a whole lot, I plugged my WDTVLive back in for the time being until more apps/functionality is available for the Chromecast.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
For those interested in seeing what the chromecast is capable of, you might want to check out Koushik Dutta's posts on G+:https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts

Since the SDK isn't finished yet he's not allowed to release any of his work on it, but he's got chromecast getting video from google drive, dropbox and directly from a computer, with playback controls on an adroid device.
That right there. I need thatRIGHT. NOW.

We now have delivery date(s) for the order you placed on July 25, 2013 (Order# 104-3730093-0877065):

/sadpanda
I didn't realize it was sold out and backordered that far. When did you place your order?

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That right there. I need thatRIGHT. NOW.

I didn't realize it was sold out and backordered that far. When did you place your order?
If it takes months for that kind of stuff to come out.... so lame. Get your shit together Google.

Soriak_sl

shitlord

/sadpanda
I got an update like this with an estimate for end of August. Then I got another email saying they've shipped it off and it'll get here tomorrow. I think there's a good chance you'll get it before then. Especially if people cancel as a result of seeing that delivery estimate...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Best Buy near me told me they're getting around 3 in every shipment. So they're steadily making their way out

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I got an update like this with an estimate for end of August. Then I got another email saying they've shipped it off and it'll get here tomorrow. I think there's a good chance you'll get it before then. Especially if people cancel as a result of seeing that delivery estimate...
Same thing happened to me as Intrinsic, but I got an e-mail a couple days ago stating the Oct e-mail was a mistake and to rely on the earlier one.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Got mine in the mail from BestBuy yesterday, ordered it last Thursday. Worked out pretty well, recently got a 10$ best buy rewards coupon just because I hadn't bought anything in a while. So with shipping I paid $26.

It's a pretty cool device. It's amazing for watching movie trailers, music videos and youtube shows I normally watch. As soon as it has Plex support it will be awesome.

Oh and my roommates both have Windows phones so I get to mock them incessantly about not being able to cast from their mobiles. Gonna take a spare smartphone not on a plan and make it a living room wifi remote just for chromecasting.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
We all kind of assumed this I think, but good news nonetheless

Confirmed: ChromeCast will be able to play local content
http://www.muktware.com/5860/confirm...nd-order-yours

So it's abundantly clear that Google is not trying to block playback of local content. It's just that the SDK is in very early stage and developers should refrain from publicly releasing apps as they may break unless the SDK is in stable stage.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
So I just got this and I am trying to install the app on my desktop. The app is showing an error saying that it cannot find a wifi network. Now, I have a wifi network but when I built my PC I didn't install a wireless card. Do I need to go get a wireless card or is there a workaround to use my local area connection?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Another BIG gripe at the moment. I can't cast web content from my desktop PC that is hardwired at ALL. The setup process completely stops, telling me that my wifi is turned off, when obviously my desktop PC does not need wifi, it's hard-wired into the same network as my wifi.

Lame
It has to be used via wifi(for now), which is pretty dumb IMHO. Works great with my laptop and tablets/phones, can't use it at all with my wired desktop. I hope a workaround/fix comes out for this at some point, but I haven't seen one yet.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
I actually just found a workaround for that (I am currently casting from a desktop without a wireless connection). You just have to use a wireless device to setup the app and register it to your chrome account. After you have the app installed and linked to your device just install the chrome extension and then you can use it on your hard-wired desktop. Voila! problem solved.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Picked one of these up at best buy today, seems pretty slick, especially for the price.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Mine has been gathering dust for the last month. I won't be using it much until it gets Plex compatibility. 75% of what I watch on TV is stuff I download, so Chromecast isn't real useful yet, but I hope that changes soon.