Chromecast - the new Google TV

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a question that might fit this subject. I have a laptop computer that I want to watch Netflix..etc on. I am at work though and thus do not want to use their internet as it is monitored. My cell phone has 4g wifi, but it only goes to 2.5 gig worth of memory before it slows way down. That is fine since it is only 5 extra a month(PCS Mobile) and I can still play online games with it. However if I stream movies like Netflix, I run out of that 2.5 gig pretty fast.

Would this device allow me to watch Netflix from my phone which has unlimited internet? It is only the Wifi that has a memory limitation.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
No, it doesn't stream from your phone. It uses wifi and you control it with your phone. If you configured the phone as a hot spot it might work but I am not sure about that.

EDIT: Quick google search makes it look like you can connect the chromecast to your phone hotspot but you can't control it from the same device so you would have to connect the chromecast to your phone's hot spot and then also connect another device (phone, tablet, laptop) to your phone to cast from.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently Google is having a Chromecast SDK hackathon this weekend and the SDK release is expected soonish, at which point presumably we can expect much better support.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Couple news stories.

Chromecast in 2014: an open SDK, big international plans and maybe even new devices Tech News and Analysis

Google Still Working on Chromecast SDK; More Apps Coming | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Sounds very promising although I don't get why the SDK is taking so long. I hope the "new devices" include a wired version.

Also, I am really liking the new screen saver that just shows the time and pretty background pics. I have been just leaving it on sort of like having a 60" photo frame on my wall.

spronk

FPS noob
target is selling kyocera hydro android phones for $10 this week, normally $79 or $149. I picked up two, they are easy to root and run android 4.0 (no upgrading afaik), but you can run it as a pure android device with the cell antenna turned off and never activated. I currently have one running as a webcam on my dog for the kids, and the other can be used as a remote for chromecast/TV/whatever or anything else that runs on android.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So yeah, I finally got one of these. Got Plex hooked up and running. After literally 5 minutes messing with it, my Boxxee is going in the trash. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Possibly. The Chromecast itself does absolutely no video decoding or processing, you basically need to have the video running through a service that does that work and that the Chromecast supports, i.e. Plex. You aren't going to just be able to download a video file and have the Chromecast play it.

Also, all of the menu and remote functionality has to be controlled via a computer or phone/tablet on your home wifi, you won't have a dedicated remote control like you would your Roku.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bought this for the parents for xmas and found a bit of false advertising. When they say you can mirror chrome that is only on pc or mac phones and tablets are not there yet so on those it only works with the apps like youtube or netflix. Kind of disappointed but supposedly this will be fixed in later releases.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
mirroring Chrome is a bit overrated anyways, It works great for static and still images, but anything that is animated(embedded videos in websites) are pretty hit or miss. Some work, most dont.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Nah bro nah. More of I don't care as much, plus my boxxee was going out anyway. I had to reset the goddamn Netflix on a daily basis, the remote was a piece of shit, it was getting zero support and no updates on the horizon, etc.

I am having an issue and I'm not sure what it is. It appears that when my computer is doing either the indexing or the transcoding for the PMS, the monitor just shuts out and then comes back on after a short period. I haven't really had enough time to 100% verify that is what it is, but just looking at it a few times it seems like that is the pattern. When streaming or updating the library the computer monitor just cuts out and comes back on shortly, it will sometimes do this a few times in sequence. I was immediately thinking power supply of graphics card issue, a friend of mine was thinking possible CPU saturation. Long term I am considering getting a Synology NAS but in the meantime I would like to nail this down. Maybe try changing CPU affinity for PLEX? Would that impact the transcoding(i am thinking so)?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So is this something I should replace my Roku with?
Not at this point I wouldn't. Roku offers much more content plus in my experience the stream quality wasn't great compared to the roku. Plus there is something convenient about laying on bed and controlling with a remote vs using you phone to switch between different apps. It felt much more cumbersome.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So if anyone else has issues with plex like I did then download something called process lasso. I used that to modify the cpu affinity for the plexnewtranscoder.exe process to not use 2 cores out of the 8 available. Runs smooth now and the transcoding didn't take a hit.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
As others have said, the roku can do stuff that the chromecast can't. The main advantage of the chromecast is for YouTube. It is great at that and roku isn't. For $35 though, I think it's worth picking one up as a complement to your roku.