Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy CTE

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck. I need to show this article to my son. He's 15 and has been playing football since he was 8. I'm sure that at this age he will show no signs of CTE...but you know they will be there later in life.

Fucks sake that stat about 87 out of the 202 from high school to CFL showing effects is crazy.

I "wish" they had more modern cases to work with. With the advancement of equipment, and the rule changes being a factor.

I've been in football, boxing and MMA, and back then, we didn't know how serious concussions were. We'd just be hit with smelling salts, and get back up and at it again. When your "bell gets rung" you have to know how to take a break. I wonder how many teenage athletes know the symptoms of concussions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My cousin was a star soccer player and got a scholarship to play in college but had to quit after her sophomore year due to repeated concussions and she is still having issues because of it a couple years later.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how many teenage athletes know the symptoms of concussions.

As a coach and a parent the school system here has a concussion information sheet that they require the student and the parent to sign and initial each point - now, of course that doesn't mean they actually read it.

I do know as a youth and high school coach there is significant training on identifying symptoms and protocol for dealing with students who have had concussions.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
As a coach and a parent the school system here has a concussion information sheet that they require the student and the parent to sign and initial each point - now, of course that doesn't mean they actually read it.

I do know as a youth and high school coach there is significant training on identifying symptoms and protocol for dealing with students who have had concussions.

Yeah. Pop Warner and high school both have a pretty good concussion protocol...at least here in Massachusetts.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly if the NFL and the NCAA were just more honest about what Football really is, then I would have no issue with it.

At this point in time, there's not a football player alive that doesn't know what CTE is. Let's be real. There is no delineation between football or MMA in this matter any more.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
At this point in time, there's not a football player alive that doesn't know what CTE is. Let's be real. There is no delineation between football or MMA in this matter any more.
Roger Goodell & Mark Emmert would like to have a word with you.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Roger Goodell & Mark Emmert would like to have a word with you.

I wasn't aware that either of them was a football player. Goodell didn't even play college ball, and I see nothing about Emmert's fantastic athletic history.

• 1Cutler

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
What exactly are you trying to argue? High School kids are able to make long term decision about their health when their own parent's are either unwilling or unable to see the risks? I really have no desire to be the Champion of CTE on the internet, but I had to comment on your response because it was pretty dumb even for the internet. Congratulations you have reached a new low!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
What exactly are you trying to argue?

This from the guy that says that somehow, brain damage is OK in MMA because they acknowledge it more?

Brain damage is brain damage. You should be well aware of that by now.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Really, is that what I said? Show me where I ever said MMA Brain Damage is okay? Show me those exact words in that order.

Obviously you did not understand the nuance of my statement regarding watching MMA and not Football. It is about present day American Culture perceiving Football as wholesome as Apple Pie and massive amounts of parents encouraging their kids to play. If and when kids participating in MMA becomes 10% of how common kids playing Pop Warner is, let me know.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
There was a parent at my kids last basketball game talking about how if he could get his kid to 300lbs by 12th grade, he could get him a Div 1 football scholarship. This is a fucking 11 year old.

If you think that kid has any choice in the matter, you're delusional. It's a train wreck waiting to happen.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
As an adult, when faced with a unknown problem around the house, I still have the preference to ask my dad. Don't sweep parental deference under the rug, it can be quite strong even if subconscious.

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
There was a parent at my kids last basketball game talking about how if he could get his kid to 300lbs by 12th grade, he could get him a Div 1 football scholarship. This is a fucking 11 year old.

If you think that kid has any choice in the matter, you're delusional. It's a train wreck waiting to happen.

The parents of these kids are why I'm a former coach now. Every year I had kids that just didn't want to be out there. Some were there because the parent wanted to get them off the couch and/or involved in team sports. My observations that football might not be the best sport to start them in did little to dissuade them.

Others were big for their age or athletic (Pop Warner limits size differential within an age group significantly) and they were going to be the next high school/collegiate superstar. I had one mother yelling at me after a game for "crushing her child's spirit" because I pulled him out at tailback for running sideline to sideline and losing yards every play. She was a former college track athlete, her husband was also and their child was destined for greatness. The kid was a great kid, very attentive and hard worker who was lightning quick - but slight of build and scared to death of contact. I've had kids who were the oldest, tallest and biggest on the field that don't want to hit. Over 80% want to play WR because they think it won't involve much hitting. The kids don't get it because the parents don't get it...

Football is a violent sport. Not a contact sport - a collision sport. I think that's the point Oblio is making that gets ignored by parents and glossed over by those making money off of it. You want to be "good" at football? You better be prepared to engage in doling out and receiving real physical punishment.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Brings back memories of marriage conversations. Can't marry a normal girl, has to be the biggest with the widest hips, thickest wrists, biggest hands.

Had a football bud who would discriminate in his dating life based on these criteria, specifically citing Div 1 and a future desire to not have to pay for his sons college. Any implied criticism of anything at a party or whatever would be met with "Yeah, but that's D1 right there man...."

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

I wouldn't know anything about that. My parents didn't stress sports at all, just the importance of daily exercise and getting good grades.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
What exactly are you trying to argue? High School kids are able to make long term decision about their health when their own parent's are either unwilling or unable to see the risks?

I wouldn't know anything about that, as I don't associate with that sort of person. My daughter is in MMA, and I'd not allow her to do any full contact sparring. Just enough force to touch is enough for me. If they even started going medium contact, I'd find a new school for her.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I went to a competitive private school. It was unlike a lot of public schools in the way that the pool is smaller with more differentiation between a Freshman and a Senior.

So your average private school kid compared to your average public Freshman. The public Freshman would be bulkier, shave more facial hair, have a more filled out frame-- have his pick of who he wanted to bully.

This changed by age 16-17, as you got into the Junior and Senior years you had this massive size gap at a private school that didn't necessarily exist in a public school with a larger pool. However, our private Seniors were gigantic compared to the rest of the schools in the league overall.

Everyone commented on it as a Freshman how much size difference there was. When it came our time, we saw the dope firsthand.

Voted hard pass for my son.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I went to a competitive private school. It was unlike a lot of public schools in the way that the pool is smaller with more differentiation between a Freshman and a Senior.

So your average private school kid compared to your average public Freshman. The public Freshman would be bulkier, shave more facial hair, have a more filled out frame-- have his pick of who he wanted to bully.

This changed by age 16-17, as you got into the Junior and Senior years you had this massive size gap at a private school that didn't necessarily exist in a public school with a larger pool. However, our private Seniors were gigantic compared to the rest of the schools in the league overall.

Everyone commented on it as a Freshman how much size difference there was. When it came our time, we saw the dope firsthand.

Voted hard pass for my son.

The only football my kids will be allowed to play is of the flag variety.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I wouldn't know anything about that, as I don't associate with that sort of person. My daughter is in MMA, and I'd not allow her to do any full contact sparring. Just enough force to touch is enough for me. If they even started going medium contact, I'd find a new school for her.
The only football my kids will be allowed to play is of the flag variety.

So you agree with me, but you felt the need to quote me as if you were going to correct me/learn me up? o_O

Glad to hear you are not allowing your kids to be involved in senseless contact, I guess you are not as dumb as your earlier posts indicated.

Also, still waiting for you to explain how I think MMA Brain Damage is okay...

Lastly, do your newer forum name justice and give it a proper avatar.
sho_nuff_by_myrothegreendwarf-d7avow3.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
MMA is a school sanctioned thing? What the fuck? Glad my daughter is half-asian. FBLA, chess, and computer club 4life

• 1Like