Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy CTE

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Like I said in my earlier wall of text, I have no issue with MMA because it doesn't misrepresent what it is.

Here is your bullshit post about how you have no issue with MMA, but you have one with football.

Brain cells are dying in both sports, you imbecile. There is no difference.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Here is your bullshit post about how you have no issue with MMA, but you have one with football.

Brain cells are dying in both sports, you imbecile. There is no difference.

Yep, that is the exact same as saying MMA Brain Damage is okay, you fucking mouth breather. You clearly have no ability to read the whole discussion and comprehend it in it's entirety. You latch on to one sentence and spin it to a context that suits you and still does not even say what you said I said. Go mow someone's lawn and change your avatar. God damn it must suck to go through life as dumb as you, or shit...maybe I am wrong. Perhaps ignorance is bliss like they say and therefore you must be the happiest person alive.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yep, that is the exact same as saying MMA Brain Damage is okay, you fucking mouth breather. You clearly have no ability to read the whole discussion and comprehend it in it's entirety. You latch on to one sentence and spin it to a context that suits you and still does not even say what you said I said. Go mow someone's lawn and change your avatar. God damn it must suck to go through life as dumb as you, or shit...maybe I am wrong. Perhaps ignorance is bliss like they say and therefore you must be the happiest person alive.

spidermandividebyzero.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Isn't the issue the jarring motion of the brain over time with CTE not actual instant trauma? I don't see how a helmet can really fix that part of the issue, you have to dissipate force and it has to go somewhere. The helmets aren't giant pillows or magical dampers. If you're running forward full speed then not, the brain is going to suddenly deccelerate.

Right. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. And unfortunately, the insides of our skulls have sharp ridges.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure this isn't what the NFL wants to see a month before the season kicks off.

This has gotten to the point where I think I'll encourage my kids to play soccer or hockey rather than football. CTE is no joke.

Just saying from personal experience soccer is harsh Mistress. I love soccer, even played in college but I have bad ankles because of
it, my brother has a bad knee and my sister has a bad hip. It is 3 for 3 in my family. My ex wife doesn't want to let my boys play soccer
because she saw how badly it treated us long term. I had a hard time arguing with that. She has a point.

There are positives to it as well. Just be aware that besides swimming most sports have significant injury risk.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Could you be more of an internet cliche? You come to the thread and either fail to read everything or or fail to comprehend everything that you read. You then decide to start an argument and once you realize you are in over your head you respond with a zero fucks meme, which is basically like a teenager saying "whatever."

Khane

Got something right about marriage
CTE can occur in athletes playing most sports but high impact sports obviously increase the risk. From what I've read American Football is far and away the leader in identified cases though and prevailing theories seem to believe the helmet is a primary factor in that rather than a mitigating one. The facemask and padding in the helmet leads people to use their head as a weapon rather than protect it. And it seems that may be the reason for the higher number of occurrences when compared to other physical sports like Ice Hockey and even Rugby or Australian Football.

People don't put their head down or lead with their head when on a collision course when it isn't protected by something like a facemask.

• 1Solidarity

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
There are positives to it as well. Just be aware that besides swimming most sports have significant injury risk.

LOL yeah ok. Ask a lot of swimmers that do it long term and a they will have shoulder problems.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
LOL yeah ok. Ask a lot of swimmers that do it long term and a they will have shoulder problems.
Those aren't really significant injuries. I don't think anyone is dying from their swimming related shoulder injury.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I feel so guilty sitting here watching the opener. Oh well. I'm not gonna turn it off.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to see statistics on CTE in the general population vs. these studies on football players.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Aaron Hernandez had advanced stages of CTE

Well I feel real warm and fuzzy after reading that :(

Busted.

Aaron's legal team vindicated. Horrific details. 27 fucking years.

I'd like to see statistics on CTE in the general population vs. these studies on football players.

I agree. We need more perspective. Can the signs of CTE be mimicked from one-off or isolated incidents of blunt force trauma, such as a severe beating. We don't know.

Joe Rogan has offered his anecdotal perspective that beatings definitely cause a permanent change in a persons behavior, and this was in an organized training with headgear where Joe Rogan took his first several beatings back in his 20's. He argues the change to personality is quick and permanent, after only what would amount to a handful of beatings over the course of a few months.

He said he definitely needed to be careful of his behavior even years later. We aren't talking about CTE in this instance, but rather sub clinical changes in behavior from blunt force trauma. A separate issue from CTE entirely.

Ghastly stuff.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
100% Agree that CTE is not limited to just Football players and that study that came out a little while back about 99% is very skewed due to the biased data set. I still wholeheartedly believe that Football is an unnecessary risk that America's Youth will have to suffer through for another generation or two because too many Dad's that are "has beens that never were" are living vicariously through their children.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Let's take a moment to remember how much we all hate people in general.

I don't think I'll ever bother voting in an election again. Its swimming upstream with a voter block that consists of:

here's a wacky theory, maybe he spent some of that time in jail bouncing his head off walls and punching his forehead repeatedly to try and worsen his brain, ando by that time, he had already planned suicide so his brain could be studied. Maybe in attempts to clear his name and make it seem like he had an excuse or to better the lawsuit he had planned for his death and family. Wacky I know, but just a thought

Literally just 1 of 1,000 comments exactly like this on the article. Most of them from Massachusetts, with multiple likes on every excuse from the Patriots team. This guy got 5 thumbs up for suggesting Aaron rapidly developed CTE (a chronic disease involving a complex formation of proteins in a pattern) from smashing his head on the wall of his cell for a few days prior to committing suicide.

Protip to fucktard....wait nevermind, can I punch one of these guys in the face? Ah jeez *pops CTE antipsychotic med*

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Aaaand another BU study... Holy shit batman, Nixon Watergate anyone? Someone has to interfere before this whole sport goes tits up...

White House Plumbers where you at? I'd be literally pounding pavement to the BU office complexes before they publish yet ANOTHER study next month. BU is singlehandedly threatening to knock football off the map at every institutional level from pop warner to the pros.

There is no way around it, once high school football requires getting a waiver signed by your parents things will never be the same again and the popularity of football will begin to wane as the next generation turns away from it (its already begun with millennials being smaller and smaller than the people who came before them, many white males aren't even remotely considering football anymore as an incoming freshman and their coolness is no longer defined as much by it).

"It's not like when I started playing in 1960," he said. "Rules are better. Equipment is better. Coaches are better instructed — there is no leading with the head. The head isn't a weapon like it was back in that period of time."

Who does this guy think he is bullshitting with those talking points? Nobody leads with the head?? cringe. We were all just on the team in the 2000's in highschool. Nice try.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Maybe CTE triggers you to kneel during the anthem. Could be related to TDS.

Also I suspect most of the non black players to be gone quickly after these studies ramp up due to concerned parents. The sport will die a slower and more twisted death in the long run I think.

• 1Worf