Chronicles of Elyria - new mmo

Felmega_sl

shitlord
Looks perty, but how well will it run? Thats always the question. In a 40 man raid with all the spell effects going, will the frame-rates still remain high?

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Another MMO that sounds good on paper but I'm pretty sure most of it will never see the light of day. I mean are most people really going to want to increase all their skills again after their main is perma-deathed?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I can't believe devs haven't figured out that "hardcore" isn't going to fucking work in 2016... Eve is arguably one of the most "hardcore" MMOs and it caters to a very niche group of players. Within the group of Eve players, the huge huge majority do not do hardcore things.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I can't believe devs haven't figured out that "hardcore" isn't going to fucking work in 2016... Eve is arguably one of the most "hardcore" MMOs and it caters to a very niche group of players. Within the group of Eve players, the huge huge majority do not do hardcore things.
This. Regardless how well thought out or creative the idea may be, the masses will never allow it especially long term. The cries will entertaining at first but eventually the niche community will be all that's left and it won't be very many. Then the company has to decide to bend or break their own rules or just fold. If they do bend or break, their niche will leave over the "babies" winning and the game going ezmode.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If you don't care about making money, you can do whatever you want.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
If you don't care about making money, you can do whatever you want.
So true. While i'm sure that was in the mind of any and all game devs, it seemed that people were primarily fueled by passion and creativity with most successes being accidental or unexplainable. Now it's all about identifying a successful formula and replicate it until you're sick of it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I care about money and that's why I'm here today to announce exclusively to Rerolled my MOBA-Destiny-Division-Survival Hybrid with VR compatibility. It's going to came out by the time the time all the hottest fads are dying and I'm going to lose all the money I said I care about.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of having a persistent lineage instead of a persistent character, but if that's what Elyria is going to do, they need to do it correctly.

It needs to be more political, more social. Less about traditional MMORPG combat and quest and more about social interaction and strategy between allies and enemies. I want to feel like my characters are part of a dynasty. Maybe they spend their lives in service to a ruling family, or stake it out on their own or something, but it's going to be on the developer's end to make it feel like our characters have a defined "place" in the world even though the characters themselves are always coming and going.

In a way, I hope it turns out to be like a Dynasty Warriors kind of thing, where you've got leaders, officers, changing borders, etc., and it allmeanssomething.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's kind of concerning to me whenever I see an awesome-sounding MMO in development that seems to be attempting to reinvent the graphical wheel. If you're designing a game with mechanics that basically can't be found any more in modern MMOs, why play with fire trying to create particularly impressive graphics? Non-MMO indie games have shown how easy it is to have a successful game off the back of minimal, low-budget graphics but exceptional gameplay; why can't low budget MMO developers follow the same route?

I mean if Sigil didn't try to make a really visually impressive engine way back with Vanguard:SOH, it probably wouldn't have ran like a steaming pile o shit, wouldn't have bombed so hard at launch as a result, and probably would've been able to retain a lot of the hardcore-ish mechanics that it instead had to jettison in a desperate claw at wide appeal. Probably still would've bombed hard because :brad:, but you get the idea.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Is there like some shitty MMO name generator website that these companies are using? Where do these horrible names come from?

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Supposedly, according to one of there devs that posted on mmorpg, they are going to be adding snow volumes as well. I have yet to see a game add gradual volume. Best snow I have seen in game was the Blizzard in one of the first dungeons in Trion's game Rift. This one at 21:50RIFT first dungeon - YouTube

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
Very early combat preview from PAX East, and also some words about character evolution... I like what Jeremey says.