Chronicles of Elyria - new mmo

Reht

Molten Core Raider
agreed. Wish them well but it's not likely they deliver. The have 1 programmer? I doubt he has prototype these systems to the point they can definitively say if doable either way.
They have a couple of programmers (for different tasks) listed on the kickstarter page and they plan to expand the team post kickstarter, at least that's a plan they have outlined. I think there is an outside chance that they can pull it off but am glad i didn't back - not really my type of game.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It has interesting ideas and I will keep an eye on it but a lot of what they are doing so far is throw buzzwords from failed MMO projects of the last decade into a new HARDCORE experience. I really liked eq1 back in the day but I just don't see that the market for a really hard core/perma death mmo is actually there any more or at least not at a level that justifies the extreme cost making a game like this takes.

Slacker242

Lord Nagafen Raider
It seems like every day they reveal some amazingly ambitious feature to this game. For a bunch of people who've never worked on a released MMO and had to fund through Kickstarter they are way too ambitious and this game is doomed to fail. They are basically tossing as many cool ideas as they can out there to get people interested, which got them funded, but eventually they will actually have to produce this stuff. This game sounded pretty incredible at first, but not it just sounds like a pipe dream.
Right! Because all those experienced MMO developers have been churning out such great quality MMO's and content over the past decade that there is NO chance these guys can do it!

While there is a high chance of failure, their inexperience will have very little to do with it.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Inexperience will have a lot to with it. Game already suffering from feature creep. That's a big problem and usually shows up with inexperienced teams. Not to mention the technical hurdles they will need to overcome with all these features.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I still remember all the dynamic stuff that rift was going to do back when it was announced and even in beta actually happened where if people were not in an area elemental invasions could basically take over a zone fully and you would have to fight back to clear it out for normal NPC's to reappear. But for whatever reason that got scrapped as with most of the other really ambitious stuff for when it actually launched. I wish them luck and I hope they make great game and if they do I will likely play it at least for a while but right now all I am hearing is buzzwords that are all stuff others have tried and crashed and burned with.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
for whatever reason that got scrapped as with most of the other really ambitious stuff
That reason is called "delivering what your whiny, silver-spoon-fed player base will shell out cash for and removing the things that they find too hard". Invasions were awesome.

If this game can deliver half of what it has promised, the wife and I will play for a while. If not, well, whatever, it's a cheap MMO for 2 people and we'll move on when we get tired of waiting.

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
I still remember all the dynamic stuff that rift was going to do back when it was announced and even in beta actually happened where if people were not in an area elemental invasions could basically take over a zone fully and you would have to fight back to clear it out for normal NPC's to reappear. But for whatever reason that got scrapped as with most of the other really ambitious stuff for when it actually launched. I wish them luck and I hope they make great game and if they do I will likely play it at least for a while but right now all I am hearing is buzzwords that are all stuff others have tried and crashed and burned with.
That design got scrapped because of the publishers. The lead designers of that are the ones who are creating Revival, based on many of the original ideas of RIFT that got canned so it could be a more WoW-like game.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
But no magic? Thats lame! Looks great. Nice looking world. I just like my casters and magic users. I really wish they'd reconsider. They could have the next hit on their hands.

Maric

N00b
But no magic? Thats lame! Looks great. Nice looking world. I just like my casters and magic users. I really wish they'd reconsider. They could have the next hit on their hands.
There IS magic. You just need to discover it. Rumor is the it will be somewhat of a hidden mechanic, like unlocking Jedi in SWG prior to NGE (though hopefully not that much of a grind).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There IS magic. You just need to discover it. Rumor is the it will be somewhat of a hidden mechanic, like unlocking Jedi in SWG prior to NGE (though hopefully not that much of a grind).
Yup this game is aiming hard core so I assume some weird jedi mechanic of having to play every way in the game that makes you want to murder goats and then suddenly you know it.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yup this game is aiming hard core so I assume some weird jedi mechanic of having to play every way in the game that makes you want to murder goats and then suddenly you know it.
Blood magic? Return of the Blood Mage?! Wuttt

Vegetoee_sl

shitlord
I am impressed. It looks like what ESO should have been.

I recant my statement. I didn't realize this game was FFA PVP. It will die a fast death.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Anything that involves permadeath is going to be niche at best. Even in AAA games that have it as a secondary option (see D3) it gets ignored by most of the players. Human nature is to get pissed when work is flushed down the drain that way. Annoyance breeds dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction results in people not playing.