Civilization VI

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm about 30 hours in and I like it, biggest gripe is the wave of religious units. They are just relentless, if an AI player is going for religious victory you'll have 2-3 units per turn swarming in. My next game may try to go the route of just walling them off with junk units.

I discuss not trying to convert my cities and it was successful, i agree though it was annoying as fuck.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have won three full games so far, one space, one diplo and one score. Going for war victory next probably playing the Deutsch

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
This creates the choice of an interesting strategy: build one turn of the districts you want early and complete them later (the cost doesn't change after they've been started). The drawback is, of course, not being able to work the tiles during that time. For a Civ like Peter/Russia, who gets a lot of tile expansion, I think this would be a great strategy.

holy shit, that would be a huge exploit. just plop all the districts in the beginning that you plan to build, and then come back to them 20, 40, 80 turns later to build them in 1-2 turns instead of 18

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I'm about 30 hours in and I like it, biggest gripe is the wave of religious units. They are just relentless, if an AI player is going for religious victory you'll have 2-3 units per turn swarming in. My next game may try to go the route of just walling them off with junk units.
Have you considered not being a pussy and declaring war on the cocksuckers?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
holy shit, that would be a huge exploit. just plop all the districts in the beginning that you plan to build, and then come back to them 20, 40, 80 turns later to build them in 1-2 turns instead of 18
Pretty sure the cost increases

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Pretty sure the cost increases

The reddit link says it does not if you've plopped it down. I haven't tested it yet but I saw a different poster on CivFanatics saying the same thing about the cost being locked if you place it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have problems with msmpeng.exe and this game? Try to start a game and it just hangs, music playing a mouse pointer responsive, but it does nothing. I don't want to disable Windows defender if not necessary even if I'm not sure how useful it is.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Idk if it was already posted but handy change for the annoying unit cycling.

AbQNPZMl.png

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You need to denounce someone before you can use a casus belli. How silly. Sounds like something that should be part of the civilopedia on casus belli

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Going wide does have consequences, at least in terms of amenities. I only play to conquer the world - none of this diplo/science/religious victory shit. In one game I had captured all the cities for 4 civs and just as I captured the capital for the fifth my amenities basically crashed. Half my cities went into riots and spawned barbarians (all mechanized infantry and rocket launchers!). I guess I need to find a way to build up amenities before I go on a major killing spree.

And on that note, has anyone seen a real penalty for warmongering? Other than the civs telling me I'm a meanie it seems to have little consequence (so far).

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Going wide does have consequences, at least in terms of amenities. I only play to conquer the world - none of this diplo/science/religious victory shit. In one game I had captured all the cities for 4 civs and just as I captured the capital for the fifth my amenities basically crashed. Half my cities went into riots and spawned barbarians (all mechanized infantry and rocket launchers!). I guess I need to find a way to build up amenities before I go on a major killing spree.

And on that note, has anyone seen a real penalty for warmongering? Other than the civs telling me I'm a meanie it seems to have little consequence (so far).

The new tall seems to be 8 cities. I use to love plopping down 3-4 cities and civ5 and going ham. I did pull off a science and culture victory with 6 cities on king but I think it would have been faster with 8. Playing on emperor now, the AI unit spam is pretty fucking retarded.

DickTrickle

There is war weariness, though I don't know what its consequences are. Most of my wars have been defensive or strategic so far, not domination.

As for going wide, luxury resources can cover four cities but they can't cover the same city. So if you have two identical resources and 4 cities, each gets 1 amenity. If you have two identical resources and 8 cities, each gets 1 amenity. If you have two different resources and 4 cities, each gets two amenity. If you have two different resources and 8 cities, each gets one amenity. Amenity are evenly spread out amongst cities (so 5 cities with 1 luxury resource would have amenities of 1, 1, 1, 1, 0). This is why you should be careful trading away extra resources or making sure you have enough to expand, especially if you're a warmonger. Also why trading for different resources isn't always going to net you a plus.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
There is war weariness, though I don't know what its consequences are. Most of my wars have been defensive or strategic so far, not domination.

As for going wide, luxury resources can cover four cities but they can't cover the same city. So if you have two identical resources and 4 cities, each gets 1 amenity. If you have two identical resources and 8 cities, each gets 1 amenity. If you have two different resources and 4 cities, each gets two amenity. If you have two different resources and 8 cities, each gets one amenity. Amenity are evenly spread out amongst cities (so 5 cities with 1 luxury resource would have amenities of 1, 1, 1, 1, 0). This is why you should be careful trading away extra resources, especially if you're a warmonger. Also why trading for different resources isn't always going to net you a plus.

You know what's fucked, my first attempt on emperor the god damn aztec declared war on me at practical the start of the game. I was able to defend them off but not counter attack. They wouldn't make a deal with me to end the war until like turn 200+ and every other civ started denouncing ME for being a war monger. Needless to say I lost the game but I thought it was pretty stupid.

DickTrickle

The new tall seems to be 8 cities. I use to love plopping down 3-4 cities and civ5 and going ham. I did pull off a science and culture victory with 6 cities on king but I think it would have been faster with 8. Playing on emperor now, the AI unit spam is pretty fucking retarded.

I think it really depends on the map size. If you play on the larger size maps, some civs will get near 15-20 cities (without war) and the sheer volume will start making a big difference for science and culture and you have to keep up.

You know what's fucked, my first attempt on emperor the god damn aztec declared war on me at practical the start of the game. I was able to defend them off but not counter attack. They wouldn't make a deal with me to end the war until like turn 200+ and every other civ started denouncing ME for being a war monger. Needless to say I lost the game but I thought it was pretty stupid.

Totally agree. The diplomacy/warmongering penalty should be the first thing that gets looked at. It's very dumb and unintuitive. Aztecs is definitely a shitty one to spawn against.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

if going tall now is 8 cities then how many cities is going wide?

going tall in civ 5 was using 3 cities.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I always felt it was four because Tradition bonuses applied to 4 cities.

In the higher difficulties there's no way to compete with the AI with just four. I guess traditional tall is just dead, but it's not as bad as I thought as city management is much easier with districts.