Civilization VI

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I somehow managed to secure a science victory with zero conflicts when I had maybe 4 military units on the map. I was surrounded by 3 warring nations with fully developed militaries and the only threats I got were the constant denouncements from Egypt.

That's surprising. What difficulty?

I will say the diplomacy in this game definitely needs some love. As Quineloe mentioned, it seems like some of the causes for war don't really work. Additionally, the warmonger penalty and alliances/friendships is kind of retarded. If you go to war with an ally, you should not get a negative warmonger penalty with your ally -- you should get positive rep with them. Just in general there needs to be better rep changes from war based on who it harms or benefits and not just a stupid warmonger penalty for most everyone.

On the positive side, I love that district stuff usually force me to make cities have different purposes. In previous Civs I usually just built everything (except for some of the higher maintenance cost buildings).

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
. If you go to war with an ally, you should not get a negative warmonger penalty with your ally -- you should get positive rep with them.

Issue since early Civ 5. These fucktards. After they pretty much fixed it in BNW to boot, as long as you don't capture cities, you're fine.
What also annoys me is that killing units doesn't matter at all. A war in which nothing happens in the early game means nothing, and a war in which you kill 10+ units means just as much.

I also managed to do a no war science victory on Prince. Gonna ramp up difficulty once I scored a culture victory.

I hope my pirated copy gets patched too. The game is just too broken at this point to pay full price for it.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Got about 1600 hours in Civ 5
Bought this on release and have about 20 hours in Civ 6, with 2 games played.

I think everyone here is on the mark with exception of Quineloe, I think he is being too hard on it.

Pros: takes all the concepts from Civ 5 and improves on them: culture, religion, trade, city-state dynamics, tech tree, etc. I like the District system, its more intelligent and nuanced than spam -building every available building in every city by the remaining third of the game in Civ 5. Combat AI is supposedly smarter by all reviews, i didnt get into too many wars so I can't attest to it. Game definitely feels very complete

Cons: definitely some UI issues, cant click and drag the map around without using the minimap, edge scrolling is shitty, performance feels sluggish, not a single crash though. Dont like the cartoony graphics style, much more preferred the realistic Civ 5 style, it was easier to discern shit on the map. In general, its hard to read the map quickly and cleanly, the way you could in Civ 5 to ascertain resources, yields, luxury resources, features, etc.)

Some development rate weirdness - I maxed out my entire tech tree by 1930 AD but my Civics tree was still trying to figure out Enlightenment. I never had that happen in Civ 5. Since I was going for a science victory, I was now able to race to the end, but every milestone for a science victory took like 30 turns to accomplish (build first sattellite, land on moon, go to mars). once i realized i'd be playing it until 2150 at least to get all those, i just threw in the towel. maybe i was playing like a retard.

I can see this game being an extremely solid, one of the best after a patch or 3 to works out the UI bugs and the minor shit people are complaining about here. They definitely need to add way more civs and wonders though.

DickTrickle

I see Quineloe is using the classic "not worth the price" thing despite clearly playing the game a lot.

Araysar, I'm guessing your Science output was huge but your culture was really low. If you completely ignore culture, you can expect Civics to suffer a lot. Policy timing in Civ5 was pretty dependent on your play style so that might be why it seems so different.

On another annoying diplomacy note, while it's fine for a civ to hate you for converting a city at first, when you've converted the majority and they're sending out missionaries with your religion, they should probably stop using that as a reason to denounce.

faille

Molten Core Raider
It has the same core issue as Civ for me, which is that it just feels sluggish. It takes ages to do anything. build anything, create an army, move it anywhere. I spent most of the time just clicking next turn. Keep in mind I played Civ4 almost exclusively in marathon speed, so it's not like I'm after instant gratification on stuff happening. Perhaps I should try playing on quick and hope the building / unit production to tech ratio isn't screwed up like it was in civ.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It has the same core issue as Civ for me, which is that it just feels sluggish. It takes ages to do anything. build anything, create an army, move it anywhere. I spent most of the time just clicking next turn. Keep in mind I played Civ4 almost exclusively in marathon speed, so it's not like I'm after instant gratification on stuff happening. Perhaps I should try playing on quick and hope the building / unit production to tech ratio isn't screwed up like it was in civ.

I never play on marathon for that exact reason, each game is like 1500 turns, mostly of waiting for a tech to finish, or a unit to finish. on quick its 300-350 turns

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I see Quineloe is using the classic "not worth the price" thing despite clearly playing the game a lot.

Araysar, I'm guessing your Science output was huge but your culture was really low. If you completely ignore culture, you can expect Civics to suffer a lot. Policy timing in Civ5 was pretty dependent on your play style so that might be why it seems so different.

On another annoying diplomacy note, while it's fine for a civ to hate you for converting a city at first, when you've converted the majority and they're sending out missionaries with your religion, they should probably stop using that as a reason to denounce.

yeah, i built a campus in almost every city and used something like 8 great scientists by the time i started the space race

definitely need to start thinking about this differently. there are a lot of moving pieces so im still having a hard time wrapping my head around it. for example it seems like they dont want you to grow too wide and want you to specialize cities but then there are a shit ton of bonuses for having multiple districts in one city. but then there are building penalties if you are building the same district in another city. JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT SID MEIER

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Issue since early Civ 5. These fucktards. After they pretty much fixed it in BNW to boot, as long as you don't capture cities, you're fine.
What also annoys me is that killing units doesn't matter at all. A war in which nothing happens in the early game means nothing, and a war in which you kill 10+ units means just as much.

I also managed to do a no war science victory on Prince. Gonna ramp up difficulty once I scored a culture victory.

I hope my pirated copy gets patched too. The game is just too broken at this point to pay full price for it.
What kind of German plays for a no war science victory? Then complains that your stolen copy of the game isn't good enough? Germany has become a mockery of itself.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
What kind of German plays for a no war science victory? Then complains that your stolen copy of the game isn't good enough? Germany has become a mockery of itself.
Should make a mod: rapefugee unit. Deals 300% damage to Germany.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

In the continuing theme of things I like and don't like:

I like the way Great Persons are done now, for the most part. Having them be different adds some variety and I like that they're not grouped anymore so if you want engineers you won't get punished if you push out a merchant (at least, I don't think you get punished like in Civ 5). The only thing I miss is being able to do great tile improvements.

However, the unit promotion stuff is really bland. As far as I know, none of the civs or units have any unique promotions and some of them are pretty lackluster. Scale cliffs, really?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I paid full price for BE and for RT, I think they owe me a demo weekend.

• 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Should make a mod: rapefugee unit. Deals 300% damage to Germany.

special effect: uses up 3x amenities, causes 400% unhappiness, uses up 2 luxury goods for 30 turns if used by the german capital.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
In the continuing theme of things I like and don't like:

I like the way Great Persons are done now, for the most part. Having them be different adds some variety and I like that they're not grouped anymore so if you want engineers you won't get punished if you push out a merchant (at least, I don't think you get punished like in Civ 5). The only thing I miss is being able to do great tile improvements.

However, the unit promotion stuff is really bland. As far as I know, none of the civs or units have any unique promotions and some of them are pretty lackluster. Scale cliffs, really?

i thought creating and banking great scientists all game and then using them all at once (usually 10 of them) about 10 turns after your last research lab was built was a very cheap way to trivialize the end game. you would literally zoom through about 6-9 techs in one turn and start cranking out spaceship parts

im glad that doesnt work anymore.

DickTrickle

Good info about district costs: What's the formula for District production cost?

Edit: better link: Civ VI Mechanics - How District Production Cost Scaling Works • /r/civ

Long and short of it is districts costs increase when you have a certain amount of techs/civs (but not for number of cities or districts), so beelining to a certain tech/civ might not always be optimal.

This creates the choice of an interesting strategy: build one turn of the districts you want early and complete them later (the cost doesn't change after they've been started). The drawback is, of course, not being able to work the tiles during that time. For a Civ like Peter/Russia, who gets a lot of tile expansion, I think this would be a great strategy.

Last edited:

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm about 30 hours in and I like it, biggest gripe is the wave of religious units. They are just relentless, if an AI player is going for religious victory you'll have 2-3 units per turn swarming in. My next game may try to go the route of just walling them off with junk units.