Civilization VI

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
To anyone who might be playing this currently, is there a current preference for tall or wide? Or is the optimal route usually somewhere in between or context dependent?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
ive been playiung 5 lately, but its gotten so buggy that it just crashes on me on first turn, on every game i start. ive given up and started playing 6 again but i really hate the district system

DickTrickle DickTrickle if you're playing Civ5 - tall is the way to go, the optimal number of cities is around 4. but like a lot of things, this is context dependent, going up to 5-6 cities wont kill you but anything beyond that will start punishing you heavily.

if youre playing Civ 6, wide is the way to go, 10-20 city empires seem to be the norm.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
The current rule of thumb is "build cities wherever the land allows"

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Good to know. I played heavily when it was released and wide was clearly superior then but I know there were a lot of changes since then. I liked the tall play in 5 because I tend to prefer to turtle but 6 forced me out of that and I actually had a ton of fun playing in ways I normally don't in 4x games. Civ6 was honestly the first Civ where I attacked another civ without provocation before turn 100 (and I've been playing since 3).

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
been playing a lot of Civ 6 - started getting a new appreciation for it. Mostly because the warfare aspect is much better balanced in regards to empire sprawl vs. unhappiness

one thing i would have liked is for Buiders to have an auto function, where the AI just picks best actions to take based on pop, resources, amenities, etc.

im tired of micromanaging these cocksuckers for 300 turns.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
also, the american inventors (great scientists and engineers) are actually white

cant explain that

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
From what I saw a couple weeks ago the vanilla AI is still awful. There is a mod called AI+ that seemed decent although I didn't play a full game.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
New expansion announced.

-Expanded Dark Ages/Golden Ages, inclusion of a new type of Golden Age, the Heroic Age (a reward from going directly Dark Age=>Golden Age)
-New Social Policies you can only get during said Ages. Dark Ages apparently contain some powerful assholish policies. Possible return of Slavery mulching dudes to rush building?
-New districts
-Governors, a step between Great People and Leaders. You assign them to run your cities. All governors in your civ pull from the same pool of governor points, so you have to decide whether you want a few very strong governors, or a lot of weak governors.
-Loyalty mechanic brings City Flipping back
-New Great Wonders
-New generic military units to fill in holes in advancement
-Some manner of Ice building so that ice doesn't feel so horrible
-Quests that trigger on world events, making one civ the "bad guy" and providing a way for the other civs to catch up to/beat down that civ. The "bad guy" civ can also win the quest. Whichever side wins gets a permanent buff for the remainder of the match.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
I think it might be a better iteration of the flipping. For one it sounds like you don't get a complete flip. Its more along the lines of you get an unhappy city and they declare Independence then either a neighboring nation can absorb them via diplo/loyalty/war, you can reabsorb them the same or they can stay their own independent nation. Could be pretty interesting.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
How is the Multiplayer on CIV 6? Can you play with a couple of friends vs others non-AI? I haven't played since CIV III (maybe IV) but someone was asking me about it today as it use to be something I played all the time back in the day.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It always takes one or two expansions to really flesh out a civ game so things are looking up.