Civilization VI

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So after my post above, I went and started a new game not in the Tutorial. Picked good ol' Teddy Roosevelt, and I see the appeal now. I'm some 280 turns in and at this point I just want to see what happens. You end up getting plans and strategies in your head that you want to accomplish, and so you just want to hit the "next turn" button just 1 more time. It's surprisingly addictive!

At this point I'm losing in every single category, or near last place, but I hope I can pull out the win in the end via Domination.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Civilization - just one more turn honey and I will be in bed *6 hours later* is that the sun?

Crone

Civilization - just one more turn honey and I will be in bed *6 hours later* is that the sun?
Seriously! haha

Never mind, figured out it has to due with me not building Campuses in my new cities, as I didn't see a point. And that, and I was completing entire eras before moving on.

So how do I advance my Era faster? I'm in the Renaissance era, making knights, and getting attacked by Egypt that has machine guns? I've constantly been researching tech and stuff, and trying to me strategic about which techs to advance based on Eureka's I've gotten.

Last edited:

General Antony

Vyemm Raider
Everyone is researching constantly.

You need to increase the science output of your empire. That means either through more citizens (bigger/more cities) or building Campuses and their related buildings.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Seriously! haha

Never mind, figured out it has to due with me not building Campuses in my new cities, as I didn't see a point. And that, and I was completing entire eras before moving on.

So how do I advance my Era faster? I'm in the Renaissance era, making knights, and getting attacked by Egypt that has machine guns? I've constantly been researching tech and stuff, and trying to me strategic about which techs to advance based on Eureka's I've gotten.

The most important districts are in this order:
campus (science points for tech research) -> commercial or harbor if you are on the coast (trade routes + gold) -> theater (culture points for civic research) -> industrial (production) -> entertainment (to boost amenities if needed otherwise build only as needed) -> holy site (i normally never build this, but getting a divine spark pantheon for the first 100 or so turns is really helpful) -> encampment

normally you dont need more than 2-3 campuses or 2-3 theatre districts in a game, but i usually do have one commercial hub in every city, and usually one industrial hub in every city

one thing to remember is that campus, theatre and commercial districts also generate Great People points for you and the Great Scientists and Great Merchants have some really strong bonuses

you advance eras automatically by researching the first tech in that Era. look at the top of the screenshot below and you'll see techs divided by eras, name of era is spelled vertically on the background

20160725173047_1.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
you also dont need to finish an entire era, you can skip to the next era even if you have unresearched tech in previous era.

this was actually a legit strategy in Civ 5 because moving to the next era would give you more envoy points per turn or whatever mechanic they used in Civ 5 (i forgot), so people would just beeline for the next era, and as soon as they hit it, come back and finish researching all the shit in previous era.

Crone

Some great tips!

Some QoL stuff I ended up changing too was skip the animations on movement and combat, and auto go to next turn. Has sped up the games quite a bit.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Some great tips!

Some QoL stuff I ended up changing too was skip the animations on movement and combat, and auto go to next turn. Has sped up the games quite a bit.

oh yeah, i killed all animations, and have auto turn ending enabled (i turn it off though during wars so it doesnt skip unit turns by accident)

also there is a mod in the steam store which lets you dismiss all leader communications with just a right click.

makes things go a lot faster too

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Rise and Fall is out on Thursday, I really hope they have some AI tweaks added too.

Crone

To put 4 hours into a game, and be pretty close to the end of something, only to have another civilization win for Culture. FML! haha

This time I had kept up with my tech, but realized way too late, that I needed to keep expanding in order to keep my tech going. That's my issue right now is I get 4-5 settlements and call it good, and so I fall behind end game.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
To put 4 hours into a game, and be pretty close to the end of something, only to have another civilization win for Culture. FML! haha

This time I had kept up with my tech, but realized way too late, that I needed to keep expanding in order to keep my tech going. That's my issue right now is I get 4-5 settlements and call it good, and so I fall behind end game.

Playing tall or playing wide was a viable strategy in previous civ game, but in civ 6 playing wide has considerable advantages over playing tall. I usually found 7-10 cities during the game. I could easily do twice as many but i find it a pain in the ass to micromanage so much by late game

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice, I like Civ games that encourage you to expand. It seemed like Civ5 was way too punitive and restrictive compared to 4 in this area.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Nice, I like Civ games that encourage you to expand. It seemed like Civ5 was way too punitive and restrictive compared to 4 in this area.

Agreed. The general consensus was that 4-5 cities was the sweet spot in Civ 5. I didnt like that mechanic

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Agreed. The general consensus was that 4-5 cities was the sweet spot in Civ 5. I didnt like that mechanic
Yeah, I think Civ5 tried to shoehorn you into playing tall if you didn't want to, and I wasn't sure if that was a conscious design decision because they hated REX from previous games, or just simply didn't have the power to balance the game both for playing tall and/or for playing wide.

Personally, I like it when games allow you to choose and do either (tall vs wide) and not feel punished for it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've bought every single Civ title in the last few years, only to be disappointed in the long run by the games. Maybe this time I'll stay strong. God I still hate these people for the whole Beyond Earth thing....

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
I've bought every single Civ title in the last few years, only to be disappointed in the long run by the games. Maybe this time I'll stay strong. God I still hate these people for the whole Beyond Earth thing....
Every time I expect the ai to be fun. And Everytime I'm disappointed

• 1Solidarity

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider

Watch some Quill18 replays- he generally plays on deity. One of his points is that its not just trying to maximize yourself, its also selectively crippling the race leaders so that they dont win. Find out who's ahead in culture and take some of their cities, same for tech.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My goal in game 1 is to see how many dark ages I can chain and still win.

Unrelated, I definitely prefer managing 4-7 cities, over a sprawling empire, but you do what you need to do to win.

• 1Worf