Civilization VI

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I've been playing a game with some friends over the last few days and I'm really enjoying it so far. The AI has been pretty bad which is my one major gripe currently.

I much prefer how builders work now, I feel like you're not left with 25 builders auto upgrading tiles by the end, and instead you purchase them for specific jobs.

Any mods people would suggest for multiplayer matches? AI+ might be one we try if we manage to beat a game in the next 100 years.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I've been playing a game with some friends over the last few days and I'm really enjoying it so far. The AI has been pretty bad which is my one major gripe currently.

I much prefer how builders work now, I feel like you're not left with 25 builders auto upgrading tiles by the end, and instead you purchase them for specific jobs.

Any mods people would suggest for multiplayer matches? AI+ might be one we try if we manage to beat a game in the next 100 years.

I actually have the opposite opinion of builders. i like that they have finite charges, but that just translates into a lot more micro management even into the endgame. I much preferred setting them to auto-improve everything and not worrying about it.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I actually have the opposite opinion of builders. i like that they have finite charges, but that just translates into a lot more micro management even into the endgame. I much preferred setting them to auto-improve everything and not worrying about it.

A lot of the automated stuff seems to have been removed, I actually really liked setting my units or scouts on auto explore and it annoys me I have to micro them to find late game goody huts and stuff.

Obviously once you get Radar (?) that stops becoming an issue, but I don't want to delete a good unit but having it asleep in my borders seems like a waste

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It would be nice if there was eventually a tech that would allow for infinite use builders. I think in the early game having them with finite charges made using them and building them a more strategic choice but in the late game it's just an annoyance.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Pyramids definitely helps for that, but unless you have an amazing start you're not getting them against Catherine or Cleopatra.

I finished my last game and I just jumped into a new huge continents 8 civ game with 2 other irl friends. We decided to use AI+ and it's already resulted in a pretty harrowing war against Germany.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Whats AI+? Some AI mod?

Yeah it basically makes the AI better for warring Civilizations, you don't get them just sitting on your border with Archers in the information age they actually send units that are a threat.

They actually learn too, so if you've got a load of ranged units they'll throw cavalry units at you instead of just marching melee units into their deaths.

It just makes the AI less stupid in general.

There's a really good UI mod too that makes me the UI very similar to Civilization 5, and gives you way more information on your cities at glance value. I think that was called something like community UI mod

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
It would be nice if there was eventually a tech that would allow for infinite use builders. I think in the early game having them with finite charges made using them and building them a more strategic choice but in the late game it's just an annoyance.
One of the government district upgrades in the upcoming Rise And Fall expansion gives more builder charges.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Picked this up with a couple DLC from the Humble Monthly bundle. I think I played a couple hours of a Civ game back 15 years ago, so I'll be a total noob. I know it's not Civ 5, at least that's what I keep hearing, but hope it's pretty fun!

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just started playing it (also got it from early download in Humble) and it's enjoyable so far.

Which method of winning is easiest (against AI with no workshop add ons) so I can get my training wheels on?

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Culture or Science probably. Domination isn't too bad once you hit the modern era as the AI doesn't do a particularly good job at warfare. Religion can be tough because certain civs will really try to thwart religious efforts later on, though with certain civs you can pump out missionaries and apostles so fast because of faith generation that you can overwhelm people.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
My first game of Civ 6, when I accidentally hit "quick play" and just went with it, I won by science relatively easily. The main thing you want to be ready for is getting war declared on you, but you will probably be 2-ish eras ahead so just keep a few units to upgrade (and the gold to do it) or cycle to newer units every couple ages. I was defending against crossbows and spearmen (not even pikemen) with infantry and machine guns.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Just started playing it (also got it from early download in Humble) and it's enjoyable so far.

Which method of winning is easiest (against AI with no workshop add ons) so I can get my training wheels on?

Science and domination, with culture not far behind. Religion is a pain in the ass compared to the others imo.

Domination depending on map size you can finish before modern era if you are real aggressive.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Science is probably the easiest, but requires a lot of hammers in the end to build all the space bullshit (Satellite launch, mars reactor, mars habitation, etc.) to qualify for a science victory so you cant neglect your Industrial districts.

Culture is also pretty easy, just build a couple of Theater districts, make 1-2 art museums and make the rest into archaeological museums and then when age of archaelogy hits you can just go around the world, dig all that shit up with archaelogists and stuff it into the museums. This one is typically a faster victory than science victory but it also relies more heavily on long term planning to build up cash and hammers by end game, so you can afford to piss away turns and money on building archaeologists, museums, etc.

Domination is also pretty easy because the AI is pretty dumb but requires a ton of micromanagement of units making every turn last like 20 minutes. best way to win is just to turtle up until you research flight, aluminum and bombers - then just build 4 bombers and 2 tanks and take out entire cities in 1-2 turns.

Religion = ton of micromanagement (manual moving of all religious units), giant fucking pain in the ass. totally worthless

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Culture with my boy Nzinga!

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A few other people already said it, but $12 right now (only 24 hrs remaining) from Humble Bundle if you sign up for their monthly service. It can be canceled after you pay the first month.

I have been waiting to get this till the Expac's started dropping. Burned way too many times in the past by vanilla Civ games shipping with only 50% of the features. So, I am happy to pay $12 + $30 for a brand new shiny Civ game. Should be fun.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played my first hundred turns last night and I need some input with a few things.

First, the mouse scrolling... What the fuck did they do to this shit? I found in the Settings to turn on "edge of screen scrolling", but even then it is slow as fuck and unresponsive. Is there a fix to get it to function like every other Civ game? Something so basic and stupid could kill all my potential enjoyment of this game.

Second, I have serious questions and concerns about Social Policies. Do they expect you to micro-management and change them every couple turns? You research new ones just as fast as you get tech now. Should I be swapping in +30% settlers policy for the 3 turns it will take me to build a new settler or switch to +20% wonders for the 6 turns when building a wonder? Is that how you play it? Or, can you just set your research path on one that you want 40 turns from now, once you get it, slot it in and continue to go about your business?

I kind of like the new Builders/Workers and their limited charges mechanic. Also, traders and the way they build roads is kind of revolutionary and cool.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think I always played Civ (and all 4x-ish games) in windowed so I always use the middle-mouse pan, or click directly on cities in the menu, to get around. The middle-button pan seemed fast though.

Social policies, it depends on what you're doing. Generally you just want the best for whatever you're doing at the time, the closest I came to micro-managing them was when my income tanked during a war and I needed a boost from the +gold on all traderoutes one. I ended the game with some of the same policies I first locked in but generally you get better ones over time. Just pay attention to what unlocks and what you need but I really don't think you need to change them out very often, you just get the opportunity to frequently.

I love how trade routes build roads, so much better than the old way. You can still get military engineers (or something) to manually make roads or better roads I think? But I never bothered. If someone declares war on you, prepare to lose all your traders in like 2 turns because they love pillaging those >.>

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've never played a game like this before. I may have played an old Civ like 20 years ago for a couple hours, but I'm probably getting it mixed up with Age of Empires. So I played through the Tutorial last night, and took a couple hours. Interesting game, but is the ability to micro manage things what people love so much about it?

I guess I'm just trying to get the idea of what people love so much about Civ, especially Civ 5 I guess? that makes this franchise so great?

If it was city building, I feel a SimCity , or Starcraft would be more fun. If it was the whole micro thing, wouldn't a Total War be better for that? If it was the diplomacy or empire building, isn't Europa Universalis, or Crusader Kings better at those things?

I'm for sure interested enough to give it another shot outside of the Tutorial and see what happens, I was just curious what was drawing other people to the franchise.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I played my first hundred turns last night and I need some input with a few things.

First, the mouse scrolling... What the fuck did they do to this shit? I found in the Settings to turn on "edge of screen scrolling", but even then it is slow as fuck and unresponsive. Is there a fix to get it to function like every other Civ game? Something so basic and stupid could kill all my potential enjoyment of this game.

Second, I have serious questions and concerns about Social Policies. Do they expect you to micro-management and change them every couple turns? You research new ones just as fast as you get tech now. Should I be swapping in +30% settlers policy for the 3 turns it will take me to build a new settler or switch to +20% wonders for the 6 turns when building a wonder? Is that how you play it? Or, can you just set your research path on one that you want 40 turns from now, once you get it, slot it in and continue to go about your business?

I kind of like the new Builders/Workers and their limited charges mechanic. Also, traders and the way they build roads is kind of revolutionary and cool.

1. i just use the minimap or drag and pan, sometimes i used the arrow keys when its being jerky.

2. i change policies every 20-40 turns depending on what i researched but i dont really specifically beeline for specific social policies with the sole exception of "50% faster settlers" in the beginning to fuel early expansion. when i get new policies, i just see if its more beneficial than what i have now and switch them out. once in a while i will swap in a policy like "2 extra actions for builders", then have my cities each churn out a builder and then remove it and replace it with something else after a couple of turns. up until end game, my policies tend to focus on maximizing gold, science or culture outputs. my basic research strategy for social policies is based around government types and housing expansion so it basically looks like this :

50% faster settlers (Early Empire) --> classical republic --> merchant republic ---> enlightenment (you get 2 cards here that give 100% to gold, science) --> urbanization (can start building neighborhoods to create mass housing) --> democracy

the path that i take also greatly depends on which eurekas i can trigger for the civics to reduce research costs. so if i can trigger 6 farms built eureka to cut down research of Serfdom from 10 to 5 in the next 10 moves, i'll just go research something else for a couple of moves that i probably wouldnt get a eureka for anyways, and then come back and knock out the eureka'd research once i build the 6 farms. generally i try a lot of the time to trigger eurekas for science and civics to reduce research considerably. i'd say at least half of my civics and techs already have eurekas when i start researching them