Civilization VI

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
Gran Colombia is a civ now? Literally existed for only 10 years according to Wiki

i find EU4 so much more satisfying now that I figured out how to play it
Yeah once I got into EU4 I stopped the Civ franchise entirely. I cannot stand this dogshit AI. Empires declare war on me and build literally zero units.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Gran Colombia is a civ now? Literally existed for only 10 years according to Wiki

i find EU4 so much more satisfying now that I figured out how to play it
Any tips on figuring it out? Too many years of Civ seems to have turned my brains to mush.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
There's no actual victory condition, your goals are relative to your starting nation. don't get sucked into interest hell make sure you keep the books balanced, you can turn off forts, lower maintenance and dock ships to lower costs. Build an army to cap, surmise your neighbors, find out who their enemies are make friends with them, play around with different map modes.

the tech up points you acrue are also spent on transforming conquered land to be more comparable religion/culture ect, you need a reason to go to war which is fabricated after you build a sufficient level spy network through your diplomats. france is a decent starter country iirc.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Any tips on figuring it out? Too many years of Civ seems to have turned my brains to mush.

Start on the easiest setting, start with Castile and just go with the flow. It kinda hand holds you a little bit with scripted events and a bunch of missions, but as long as you're familiar with even the most basic Spanish history, you'll know what to do: Gain total control of Iberia either through politics or conquest, secure your northern flank against France, southern flank against the Muzzies in Morocco and start sending out explorers and armies into the Caribbean to begin colonization.

As far as game mechanics, I played through the entire tutorial which explained the very basics, googled a bunch of shit as I played along mostly best Ideas to choose, tech research, and how to spend admin/diplo/military points, and watched a separate video on Trade that Kaines linked in the EU4 thread on this board. I think figuring out the trade part and improving cash flow was the hardest part for me and I'm still not 100% on how it all works. Once you get some money coming in though, the game becomes much more enjoyable and more forgiving which is great for learning.

There's ton of game mechanics and nuances that I'm still figuring out and learning.

If you have questions, more than happy to help in Eu4 thread with what I learned. I think the most important change I made to the game was to tune it down from Normal difficulty to Very Easy as it allowed me to figure things out and get my feet wet without getting buttfucked right off the bat.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
My disappointed with Civ5 led me to finally sitting down and learning how to play EU4 and I haven't looked back since. They're not exactly the same sort of game but they have so much cross over that every time I've tried any of the civs (even 4, one of my favourites), it's felt so shallow and limited in comparison.

• 1Like

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah dont do the auto-queue thing, you have to micromanage the techs and civic selection so you can hop from one Eureka to another.

I have a specific Eureka build queue that I use that lets you move ahead quickly through first 100 turns of tech and civics. If you want i can write it up and post it here

bump

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
My disappointed with Civ5 led me to finally sitting down and learning how to play EU4 and I haven't looked back since. They're not exactly the same sort of game but they have so much cross over that every time I've tried any of the civs (even 4, one of my favourites), it's felt so shallow and limited in comparison.
One of my most favorite games when I was young was Civilization Call to Power 2. GOG released it recently so I grabbed it.

The AI was so bad I was flabbergasted. So I loaded up Civ 6 and compared; it was largely the same.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
played a 5 player MP game with some friends today because they got it for free on EGS and this happened literally every second turn.

Fuck these fucking fuckers.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We had one player who kept going out of sync (everyone who didn't get the loading screen can see notifications about the player losing sync, and then sync returning), and that's what would happen to them. They were having internet issues. I think it's a symptom of not being able to stream the updates to the client, so it needs a bigger update and then reloads.

Unless you were the host, then I have no idea.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I saw the notifications for two of the other players. They also mentioned this on Discord. Maybe the host sucks?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In my almost 300 hours of Civ 6 MP, I have never seen that before
Have you cross-played between steam and EGS yet? We've switched from an EGS host to a Steam host and now it's the new EGS players with the reloads.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Have you cross-played between steam and EGS yet? We've switched from an EGS host to a Steam host and now it's the new EGS players with the reloads.
No I have not yet. Sounds like their is maybe some crossplay issue.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
oh whatever will I do?
1590571620673.png

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 7 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
disaster intensity 4 makes for some fucking absurd volcano tiles

1592383872167.png

Star food in the bottom center? That's 14 food.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users