Civilization VI

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's dogshit, and there's extreme levels of dogshit such as the AI building City projects in every single city while at war and having no units left as the enemy approaches.

It's like if the Starcraft AI built up to 200 supply depots before making a single unit.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I can't imagine how tedious it is to write the decision trees for a game live civ.

They were willing to do it in 2-4. With 5 I think they were coasting on the trees scavenged from 4 and they mostly still worked. With 6 I think they sort of forgot. Decided that the game is supposed to be multiplayer. Fair enough, but that's not how people were playing it mostly.

The surprising thing about civ is how robust it was for modding, how they'd allowed for so many inputs into those trees and how the really popular total modpacks (FFH, I think one was called SevTech? It was S- something) were so well balanced and really expansions on the base game.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
In a game where players are timing builds and actions to hit specific Eurekas, etc. it would be impossible for any AI to be that intelligent and maintain any kind of parity without a handicap.

And if you have to use a handicap, why build a super sophisticated AI anyways? The players will never be happy regardless.

I accepted that part of Civ. It is what it is. I still have fun with the game

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Stellaris has similar problems. I enjoy that from time to time.

It's not hard to cheese the AI. So... you know... try not to cheese the AI.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
I can't imagine how tedious it is to write the decision trees for a game live civ.

They were willing to do it in 2-4. With 5 I think they were coasting on the trees scavenged from 4 and they mostly still worked. With 6 I think they sort of forgot. Decided that the game is supposed to be multiplayer. Fair enough, but that's not how people were playing it mostly.

The surprising thing about civ is how robust it was for modding, how they'd allowed for so many inputs into those trees and how the really popular total modpacks (FFH, I think one was called SevTech? It was S- something) were so well balanced and really expansions on the base game.

Pretty much, Civ 6 is the game I now have the vast majority of my muiltplayer time into from the whole series combined. Its rare when I fire the game up for single player ever.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Decided that the game is supposed to be multiplayer. Fair enough, but that's not how people were playing it mostly.
If your game is supposed to be multiplayer, I expect much better matchmaking services than a 1996 era gamespy list. I also expect the game not to slow to a fucking crawl compared to single player on turns when you have more than 4 players in the game. The performance is absolutely abysmal in those games, turn times are easily there times as long as SP even though everyone is finished, the game just takes half a minute to react to it and then starts end-of-turn computing.

And lastly, the worst part is simultaneous turns as people who you are at war with. Seriously, that was fucking absurd every time I did it. Whoever clicks first wins, and if you click too late, your melee units now run into empty tiles and waste their turn. Good luck finding games where the setting is set differently, in the NQ group they just accepted this utter nonsense.

I absolutely can adapt as a player to a multiplayer Civ, but they need to adapt their fucking game to it first.

Edit: Frankly Civ is the most expensive title we have in our libraries, maybe 2nd to a WoW subscription, with all those DLCs and rapid expansion packs, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to provide dedicated servers to run their matches on. Yet Civ 6 doesn't even have the option for a dedicated server client? Bullshit.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
After 2,000 hours Ive reached a point where I can consistently beat the AI with any random civ on deity level so i uninstalled the game

Bring on Civ VII

• 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
If your game is supposed to be multiplayer, I expect much better matchmaking services than a 1996 era gamespy list. I also expect the game not to slow to a fucking crawl compared to single player on turns when you have more than 4 players in the game. The performance is absolutely abysmal in those games, turn times are easily there times as long as SP even though everyone is finished, the game just takes half a minute to react to it and then starts end-of-turn computing.

And lastly, the worst part is simultaneous turns as people who you are at war with. Seriously, that was fucking absurd every time I did it. Whoever clicks first wins, and if you click too late, your melee units now run into empty tiles and waste their turn. Good luck finding games where the setting is set differently, in the NQ group they just accepted this utter nonsense.

I absolutely can adapt as a player to a multiplayer Civ, but they need to adapt their fucking game to it first.

Edit: Frankly Civ is the most expensive title we have in our libraries, maybe 2nd to a WoW subscription, with all those DLCs and rapid expansion packs, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to provide dedicated servers to run their matches on. Yet Civ 6 doesn't even have the option for a dedicated server client? Bullshit.
They could pay Google DeepMind to do a machine-learning AI. But they're cheap. Small indie company..

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1586250450946.png

It seems almost cheap enough...

• 1Cringe

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Apocalypse game mode appeals to everyone's inner 9 year old. Best part of God games is dropping giant laser sharks on your populace

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does the AI still suck?
yes, on top of that browsing the workshop to mod your game for your taste has become a terrible chore, with all those changes, DLCs and patches many mods just don't work anymore, are abandoned by their authors and some are simply obsolete now, yet they take up space and keep popping up in your search results. That feels like a really big weakness with the steam workshop.

Saying this because I've had a really good time with Civ 5 with some AI mods back then, but I just couldn't recreate this with Civ 6 now.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Cant wait to play as Ethiopia.

+5 food production on all desert tiles, right?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Gran Colombia is a civ now? Literally existed for only 10 years according to Wiki

i find EU4 so much more satisfying now that I figured out how to play it

• 1Like