Civilization VI

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
In the higher difficulties there's no way to compete with the AI with just four. I guess traditional tall is just dead, but it's not as bad as I thought as city management is much easier with districts.

are you saying you needed more or less?

at higher difficulties 3 seemed about as high as you could go before the happiness penalties and the significantly increased costs for policies and tech crippled the civ completely unless you lucked into a shitton of assorted luxuries and managed to avoid fighting anyone by being isolated on your own continent.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Higher difficulty is just like Civ 5... AI gets massive bonuses at the start, throws it all away in the long run and by the late medieval era, you pull ahead. Not that I expected actual AI in this game.

Kiroy Kiroy that sounds weird, there shouldn't be warmonger penalites in the Ancient era. Did you capture any cities? That's not ok once warmongering is a thing, even on a defensive war. Civ 5 works the exact same way.

There doesn't really seem to be a downside to warmongering though. At some point everyone hates everyone.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Higher difficulty is just like Civ 5... AI gets massive bonuses at the start, throws it all away in the long run and by the late medieval era, you pull ahead. Not that I expected actual AI in this game.

Kiroy Kiroy that sounds weird, there shouldn't be warmonger penalites in the Ancient era. Did you capture any cities? That's not ok once warmongering is a thing, even on a defensive war. Civ 5 works the exact same way.

There doesn't really seem to be a downside to warmongering though. At some point everyone hates everyone.

No, I didn't do shit, it's got to be a bug. I didn't even start the war, aztecs attacked me and stayed at war with me for 70% of the game, wouldn't peace out. I was able to defend my couple cities (lost a couple too) and start some island cities in the mean time, but then everyone else warmonger penalty'd me, although I hadn't started a single war or taken a single city. It's definitely fucky.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
are you saying you needed more or less?

at higher difficulties 3 seemed about as high as you could go before the happiness penalties and the significantly increased costs for policies and tech crippled the civ completely unless you lucked into a shitton of assorted luxuries and managed to avoid fighting anyone by being isolated on your own continent.

You talking civ 5 or 6? In 6 you'd at least want 4 cause of the way happiness works. Unless i'm missing something.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
In the higher difficulties there's no way to compete with the AI with just four. I guess traditional tall is just dead, but it's not as bad as I thought as city management is much easier with districts.

Yeah, I was talking about 5 in that comment. In Civ6 I feel the best option is to keep expanding as long as you have the luxury resources to cover the amenities needed for the level you want the new cities to grow to.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If anyone has experienced long load times or hanging, I'd suggest excluding both Civ6 folders from Windows Defender (if you have it running). It wasn't like this initially but just started where load times would be on the order of 5-10 minutes and sometimes hang indefinitely. Adding those folders to exclusions made it just as zippy as the first time.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
You talking civ 5 or 6? In 6 you'd at least want 4 cause of the way happiness works. Unless i'm missing something.

i was talking Civ 5. on deity level, 3-4 cities was about as high as you'd ever go, anything more than that and you got crushed by various penalties

nisser

Trakanon Raider
Any basic website that outlines how to play with some basic beginner tips and tricks. I'm a bit overwhelmed never having played civ games with the district, multiple progression trees, religion, etc. It's all a bit much

Xalara

Golden Squire
The advisor is actually pretty good at telling you what to do as you play the game for the most part.

imready2go

WTF is a Raider?
<Gold Donor>
Any basic website that outlines how to play with some basic beginner tips and tricks. I'm a bit overwhelmed never having played civ games with the district, multiple progression trees, religion, etc. It's all a bit much

I threw this file (hopefully it attached) together quickly just to organize the districts/buildings in my own mind. With the new mechanics, most buildings (other than the few built in the traditional "City Center") are now built out in the district tiles. Since you have a limited number of tiles to improve, you have to plan ahead and decide which districts you really might need. (For example, if you want to pursue religion you have to build a Holy Site district because that's the only way to get the Great Prophet points needed before you can found a religion). And note that you are sometimes limited in the type of tile on which you can build a district - the game will tell you "That district can only be built on a flat tile next to a river" or some shit).

Attachments

• Civ 6 Building Guide.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

best resource uve seen so far is the Civ subreddit www.reddit.com/r/Civ

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
lol. russia.

x1CeWcC.jpg

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

The last civ 5 patches had a 3 city tradition strategy be very viable. However I still used a 4 city start strategy and would plop some later cities after the benefits would go away and you could get some decent policies to mitigate population unhappiness. Basically you raze the shit locations the civ ai would use and build quick good and productive cities in the RIGHT places

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
The last civ 5 patches had a 3 city tradition strategy be very viable. However I still used a 4 city start strategy and would plop some later cities after the benefits would go away and you could get some decent policies to mitigate population unhappiness. Basically you raze the shit locations the civ ai would use and build quick good and productive cities in the RIGHT places

I almost always played tall in civ 5, just too much of a chore to go wide. I think civ 6 fixed mostly fixed the chore aspect.

Also think civ 6 gives pretty shitty city placement suggestions compared to 5, but maybe I'm wrong and just have the wrong mindset / havn't played enough. I'm figuring out it's not nearly as big of deal having cities closer together in 6 then you would in 5.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I almost always played tall in civ 5, just too much of a chore to go wide. I think civ 6 fixed mostly fixed the chore aspect.

Also think civ 6 gives pretty shitty city placement suggestions compared to 5, but maybe I'm wrong and just have the wrong mindset / havn't played enough. I'm figuring out it's not nearly as big of deal having cities closer together in 6 then you would in 5.

I always play whatever civ I get ( forever random) and terrain I scout before I get my first policy. He'll if I get a civ like Germany I would dip honor opener first and take the continent early.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
What is your civ 6 build order? I use to always pop a scout first thing, but recently i've been going builder -> settler -> slinger. Been working nicely. Can almost always scout out that second city spot with starting warrior.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
In regards to the suggested city placement, I think the biggest fault is that it thinks coastal cities are good. With the harbor allowing boat access from 3 tiles away and with how bad ocean tiles are in general now, you'll really never want to form a coastal city unless it's for blocking an ocean lane or something.