Cobra Kai

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 326767

Oh, and dude on right looks more like a young Terry Silver than actual young Silver on the left

I was just thinking that.

I re-upped Netflix just to watch S4 of this show. Decided to rewatch the second half of S3 first because I couldn't remember too much of what happened in that season once Miguel started walking again. I was probably "watching while distracted" or something, playing a game or whatever. This show is one of the FEW shows that's entertaining enough for me to rewatch it at all and actually pay full attention to it. Like no joke, I love the fuck out of this show, even though I wasn't into Karate Kid growing up (ironic considering I did martial arts growing up so it should have been my jam, but I was more of a Bloodsport / Double Impact guy). I imagine the show is even better for people who grew up with those movies. Yeah a lot of it is iffy in terms of choreography and it's a lot of Teen Drama but whatever, I'm "in on the joke" and enjoy it. In that sense the show is a lot like pro wrestling. A bit over the top, a few too many flips, just roll with it and have fun.

Also, as has already been said, I like how the bad guys are the ones who use "woke" terminology in this show. Though they use it more in a mocking way than anything else so it may be that they're supposed to come off as anti-woke. Either way, it ain't the good guys using that terminology. I appreciate that in a show with (for?) young people, especially on Netflix.

Lastly Johnny is my spirit animal. I also often feel like whatever I do is gonna backfire on me in some way, and have a similar way of saying things honestly and having people think I'm joking because no one is that forthright about their issues or flaws.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I imagine the show is even better for people who grew up with those movies. .

Well, you probably don't pick up all the times they quote the originals which like I said above is "catnip" for original fans

Likewise, there's times when they don't use the series score but will use the original for brief moments. Imagine if The Mandalorian occasionally sampled John Williams score for instance. I have limited edition CDs of the original score so I recognise that stuff

But yeah, ultimately it's not a disappointment like the Star Wars prequels but it's not a 10/10 show for original fans but I'm aware they had to make something with wider appeal.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Watched the first two new episodes of S4. Feels like it was written by different writers than the rest, much more serious and...a little bit boring?

I like how they positioned Robby as the new unbeatable badass villain of the series, but in the new season they've had Tori get the upper hand on him twice already. Like every time he beats her in a fight, she has to get the upper hand on him at the very end of the fight. It's like I'm watching Shang-Chi again. They're neutering the guy as the new Cobra Kai top dog right out of the gate, and it serves no point for the story aside from making Tori not look even the tiniest bit weak.

Edit: Also I have no idea who this Kenny kid is or who the "LaRusso" kid antagonizing him is. Had to come to this thread to find out it's the younger kid. He's pretty forgettable I guess, and I didn't even see him in the second half of S3 I rewatched. At least now it has some context, but it isn't very believable that Daniel's son is suddenly a mega-asshole at school.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Watched the first two new episodes of S4. Feels like it was written by different writers than the rest, much more serious and...a little bit boring?

I like how they positioned Robby as the new unbeatable badass villain of the series, but in the new season they've had Tori get the upper hand on him twice already. Like every time he beats her in a fight, she has to get the upper hand on him at the very end of the fight. It's like I'm watching Shang-Chi again. They're neutering the guy as the new Cobra Kai top dog right out of the gate, and it serves no point for the story aside from making Tori not look even the tiniest bit weak.

Edit: Also I have no idea who this Kenny kid is or who the "LaRusso" kid antagonizing him is. Had to come to this thread to find out it's the younger kid. He's pretty forgettable I guess, and I didn't even see him in the second half of S3 I rewatched. At least now it has some context, but it isn't very believable that Daniel's son is suddenly a mega-asshole at school.
I totally forgot he even had a son, as did the people I watched S4 with.

Just finished this season tonight, it was a reasonably fun watch, but I didn’t feel like it was as well done as some of the past seasons.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The only hot chick on the show is Mrs. LaRusso thats for sure.

20220105_021219.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
but it isn't very believable that Daniel's son is suddenly a mega-asshole at school.

It's not that unbelievable. He was a minor character in prev seasons who was never interested in Karate, only video games. He was never seen as being particularly close to Daniel or spending any father-son bonding time, so from a TV writing standpoint it's perfectly believable they would turn him into a bully. It also provides an interesting contrast between Daniel getting bullied at school and raising a bully.

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I thought this season was kind of boring. It seemed like they wanted it more grounded and realistic. It really missed the big fights and kids causing general mayhem for the town. Last season I laughed to the point of tears at a bunch of kids just destroying Daniel's house because it was so absurd. I think part of the charm in previous seasons was everyone not immediately involved in the dojos thought the rivalry was ridiculous, but that aspect seemed to be missing.

Silver's arc was decent and Johnny had a few great scenes/lines as always, but the rest was just ok.

• 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
"No be there" and "use your other senses" had me burst out laughing

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's not that unbelievable. He was a minor character in prev seasons who was never interested in Karate, only video games. He was never seen as being particularly close to Daniel or spending any father-son bonding time, so from a TV writing standpoint it's perfectly believable they would turn him into a bully. It also provides an interesting contrast between Daniel getting bullied at school and raising a bully.

I wrote the above before the child psychologist episode lol

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I thought this season was kind of boring. It seemed like they wanted it more grounded and realistic. It really missed the big fights and kids causing general mayhem for the town. Last season I laughed to the point of tears at a bunch of kids just destroying Daniel's house because it was so absurd. I think part of the charm in previous seasons was everyone not immediately involved in the dojos thought the rivalry was ridiculous, but that aspect seemed to be missing.

Silver's arc was decent and Johnny had a few great scenes/lines as always, but the rest was just ok.

It's less "pro wrestling" now and more "grounded TV drama" for sure.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, Peyton List (Tory) is hot. Y’all silly.

Also, just finished the season and I loved it. Mens final scene actually had me sitting up on the edge of my seat as I honestly didn’t know who would win.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Peyton List (Tory) is hot. Y’all silly.

Also, just finished the season and I loved it. Mens final scene actually had me sitting up on the edge of my seat as I honestly didn’t know who would win.

Just finished the season myself. I also didn't know what to think during the men's final, it was really good. The season wasn't as good as previous seasons, but I have to say the last two episodes redeemed it quite a bit.

Interested to see what happens next with Miguel and his (presumably) drug-lord father, and they really set up Kenny to be the villain of the show in the future.

Predicting it now, they're going to go to 7 seasons. Cause the first tournament was in season 1 and the second was in season 4. Presumably they're gonna end this thing with a tournament (and the Crane Kick finally appearing, since they keep teasing it as the "Miyagi-Do technique we hope we never have to use"). So 1-4-7 makes sense for tournaments. Also 7 seasons is a good number for shows to end on. 3 more years of this show would be great so that's fine by me. Also looking forward to seeing what they do without the high school as a backdrop (unless they focus on Daniel's son) since most of the cast is going to college now.

I dunno, back in the day people thought Buffy was going to be ruined once all the characters graduated high school, and the show was totally fine for four more seasons after that.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
(and the Crane Kick finally appearing, since they keep teasing it as the "Miyagi-Do technique we hope we never have to use")..

Jesus, your analysis is consistently terrible.

The Crane kick was easily swatted away by Chozen in Karate Kid 2.

And wasn't the technique you're referring to passed/taught to Daniel by Chozen last season?

Might be wrong but haven't they referenced the crane kick in earlier seasons as some kind of weak technique/move, along with being illegal?

Last edited:

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jesus, your analysis is consistently terrible.

The Crane kick was easily swatted away by Chozen in Karate Kid 2.

And wasn't the technique you're referring to passed/taught to Daniel by Chozen last season?

Might be wrong but haven't they referenced the crane kick in earlier seasons as some kind of weak technique/move, along with being illegal?
Johnny griped about losing to an illegal kick but he was just belly-aching. That shit is weak though, so 1985.

I loved the scene where Miguel used Rocky 3 logic on Johnny and almost had him convinced.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Johnny griped about losing to an illegal kick but he was just belly-aching. That shit is weak though, so 1985.

I loved the scene where Miguel used Rocky 3 logic on Johnny and almost had him convinced.

I think there's a scene in Karate Kid 3 where Silver blasts the crane kick, was gonna watch KK1 tonight but only have it in 720p. Downloading the 2160 Atmos rips tonight

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

The referee in the first movie mentioned hitting the opponent in the face as against the rules.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The referee in the first movie mentioned hitting the opponent in the face as against the rules.

Everything above the waist is a point. Referee said "people are gonna be talking about that last kick for years including nerds on an mmo forum"

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Question for those with more military knowledge and history knowledge

The Miyagi grave stone says he was born in 1925. The second film says he left Okinawa when he was 18. The first film says his wife and son were interned at Manzanar, it also refers to him as a Sgt and Medal of Honor winner

So how could an 18 year old Okinawan immigrant join the army in 1943 and make sergeant in two years?

It says he was in the 442nd which was Japanese Americans, but only second generation not first generation.

So would it have been more believable if he was born earlier, giving him more time to "acclimate"/integrate?