Cobra Kai

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
So how could an 18 year old Okinawan immigrant join the army in 1943 and make sergeant in two years?
They couldn't. Pat Morita was 11 in 1943, they had to take some liberties to make it all work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
They couldn't. Pat Morita was 11 in 1943, they had to take some liberties to make it all work.

I'm just curious if the "original" bio of the Miyagi character had him born in 1925, or if it's something the Cobra Kai writers decided.

I read that the 442nd had a super high mortality rate, so it's maybe kinda believable that a young soldier could get promoted quickly? But that doesn't explain how a first gen Japanese immigrant was able to join the US Army shortly after arrival. Although of course it's most likely the sequel and Miyagi's story was written/expanded only after the first movie became a hit.

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The Sgt in two years thing is pretty meaningless in war. Battlefield promotions happened on a daily basis. Can pretty much promise he got a promotion for whatever action won him the CMH.

As for the years, it's movie shit. Someone screwed the pooch on research. Just like in Top Gun where the Soviets are armed with deadly Exocet missles. Exocets being French.

• 1Like

Groove

Trakanon Raider
The Miyagi wife/kid/concentration camp story is ret-conned in the 2nd movie. The Yukiyae (sp?) storyline confirms this if you listen to all of the dialogue.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The Miyagi wife/kid/concentration camp story is ret-conned in the 2nd movie. The Yukiyae (sp?) storyline confirms this if you listen to all of the dialogue.

Are you stupid? I literally watched it last night and have watched it more times than anyone else in this thread

How does introducing a previous love interest before he arrived in the US retcon his US wife? LMAO

Also, in Karate Kid 3 Silver references the 442 and in Next Karate Kid the plot is him attending a 442 reunion

Fuck off with your idiocy

Maul

Dental Dammer
Are you stupid? I literally watched it last night and have watched it more times than anyone else in this thread

How does introducing a previous love interest before he arrived in the US retcon his US wife? LMAO

Also, in Karate Kid 3 Silver references the 442 and in Next Karate Kid the plot is him attending a 442 reunion

Fuck off with your idiocy
Bet you wonder why everyone despises you, fucking strange, creepy pathetic cunt.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Lmao, watching the third movie now and Silver just went through all Miyagi's newspaper cuttings and photo of the wife. Next time don't comment on stuff you know nothing about

Groove

Trakanon Raider
I never said a word about the 3rd movie, and have watched the trilogy many times, all of them first in the theater no less. Being a US war hero did not fit into the aesthetic or screenplay of #2 at all. If anything, it would have complicated things and likely been used as a plot device or at least mentioned, which given the overall arch of the film would have led to a dead-end or made it fundamentally different, especially the way the love story between Morita and the woman plays out. Hell, there are American GI's in a couple of places in the movie, most prominently during the blocks of the ice breaking scene. But not a word, wink, nor nod is even acknowleged of Miyagi being a former US soldier.

You are searching for a guiding thread of continuity that is easily waved away by "movie magic". The 1st and 3rd movies take place solely in the US, and other than the beginning of the 2nd, all of the story in #2 takes place in Okinawa, where again, him being a widowed US war hero would have made for a different movie. I see this means a lot to you and will leave it at that. Our positions are not mutually exclusive, although I think you would find this difficult to accept, given how you seem to be "all in" in your opinion.

Also, I know this is FoH, but there really is no need to be so hostile. Chill broskie... breathe in, breathe out...

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I never said a word about the 3rd movie, and have watched the trilogy many times, all of them first in the theater no less. Being a US war hero did not fit into the aesthetic or screenplay of #2 at all. If anything, it would have complicated things and likely been used as a plot device or at least mentioned, which given the overall arch of the film would have led to a dead-end or made it fundamentally different, especially the way the love story between Morita and the woman plays out. Hell, there are American GI's in a couple of places in the movie, most prominently during the blocks of the ice breaking scene. But not a word, wink, nor nod is even acknowleged of Miyagi being a former US soldier.

You are searching for a guiding thread of continuity that is easily waved away by "movie magic". The 1st and 3rd movies take place solely in the US, and other than the beginning of the 2nd, all of the story in #2 takes place in Okinawa, where again, him being a widowed US war hero would have made for a different movie. I see this means a lot to you and will leave it at that. Our positions are not mutually exclusive, although I think you would find this difficult to accept, given how you seem to be "all in" in your opinion.

Also, I know this is FoH, but there really is no need to be so hostile. Chill broskie... breathe in, breathe out...

You're talking to someone who literally fucks dogs

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I never said a word about the 3rd movie, .

LMAO I'm hostile because you're clearly an idiot and you just proved it

"The Miyagi wife/kid/concentration camp story is ret-conned in the 2nd movie. The Yukiyae (sp?) storyline confirms this if you listen to all of the dialogue."

There's literally so much wrong with your position it's difficult to know where to start

Your whole claim is absolutely absurd, your position being that his former love interest in Okinawa "retcons" his wife/son after he left Okinawa. That's literally nonsensical and is based on nothing - I can only assume you've mis remembered Yuki telling him that she never married as him telling her that he never got married

And whilst you don't think you said a word about the third movie, by claiming the second movie retconned the first, then as the third movie confirms the wife/son/442nd then yes, your argument is subsequently that the third retcons the second. Which considering they're a trilogy written by the same dude (who specifically did the third becuase otherwise the studio would have hired someone else to write it) doesn't make any sense

Your logic is retarded "they don't mention something" does that mean that thing did not take place, never happened or was erased.

You're also wrong about the American military being featured "most prominently" whilst off duty out of uniform in a bar LMAO. When earlier they literally drove onto a US base and got directions from a guy in uniform LMAO - so yes, I really trust your knowledge of the movies LMAO

They didn't mention his wife because the whole point of his storyline in the second was his love for Yuki which fractured his friendship with Sato and his subsequent rekindling of both the romance and friendship. That doesn't mean that they "retconned" it only to later un retcon it for the third

The only shred of logic you have is how Miyagi leaving Japan and then joining the US military who was at war with Japan would have been received by his village. Although, in the first film he states "Miyagi sign up to kill many Gerry Germans Sir" and the 442nd was sent to Europe, not Japan. But I don't know enough about Japanese society to know what their level of support was during wartime and post war.

The funny thing is the only thing lacking continuity is your argument, because first you said "listen to the dialogue" now it's "they never mention it"

Kinda hard to listen to dialogue that doesn't exist, right?

Last edited:
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
imagine getting that upset about anything Karate Kid-related aside from the Will Smith's abortion of a remake

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
imagine getting that upset about anything Karate Kid-related aside from the Will Smith's abortion of a remake

it's more the case that someone is wrong and doubles down on being wrong whilst simultaneously boasting about their superior knowledge. It's not even a legitimate mistake that anyone could have made - it's just a basic failure to grasp the core concepts of what it is they're arguing about, in this case what "retcon" actually means

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

LMAO the studio wanted to cut the drunk Miyagi reminiscing over his dead wife scene - imagine thinking the second movie erases it. LMAO delete yourself from this thread

Fucking hell, I'm not sure if you either know nothing about the films or just movies in general

You do realize Morita credited that scene for his Oscar nomination. Zabka called it the soul of the movie

Genuinely one of the most stupid arguments I've read in 20+ years online, clown

• 2Picard
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Vanessa versus ossoi is this generations baseball bat versus space gun

• 1Worf