Cobra Kai

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hell, there are American GI's in a couple of places in the movie, most prominently during the blocks of the ice breaking scene. But not a word, wink, nor nod is even acknowleged of Miyagi being a former US soldier.

Why would there be, though? Are some GI's from the 1980's supposed to recognize an old man that fought in WW2 by sight? Him being a US war hero doesn't need to be incorporated at all into 2's story, it's all/almost all about him and Sato's old shit over the woman. As far as Sato and their honor are concerned, anything he did in his time away means nothing compared to the past.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Watched the third movie last week. I haven’t seen it since it was probably new. What a turd.

I don't think it's "that" bad considering Macchio didn't like it and the writer didn't want to do it.

It's almost a "seduced by the dark side" story line, and maybe could have been better if they went further in that direction. Daniel comes across as overly hot headed and impulsive, rather than an Anakin type figure with simmering rage

The fracturing of his relationship with Miyagi had potential and was a decent angle.

The final fight is awesome, Daniel losing to fear and then psyching out Barnes with the Kata is epic.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I don't think it's "that" bad considering Macchio didn't like it and the writer didn't want to do it.

It's almost a "seduced by the dark side" story line, and maybe could have been better if they went further in that direction. Daniel comes across as overly hot headed and impulsive, rather than an Anakin type figure with simmering rage

The fracturing of his relationship with Miyagi had potential and was a decent angle.

The final fight is awesome, Daniel losing to fear and then psyching out Barnes with the Kata is epic.
Um, it’s a horrible movie. Taste is subjective, but really, it’s awful. The acting is horrible, the tertiary actors are horrible. It’s incredibly hackneyed and oh so 80s — Silver couldn’t be more of a stereotypical bad guy — he dumps dangerous waste for a living, the slicked back hair, the lame attempt at making him look wealthy. There definitely wasn’t much budget there.

The fact you describe the final fight as “awesome” would make me question your taste on anything. It was cringe inducing dreck. A well deserved 13 percent on RT.

joz123

Potato del Grande

sad dumb and dumber GIF

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Um, it’s a horrible movie. Taste is subjective, but really, it’s awful. The acting is horrible, the tertiary actors are horrible. It’s incredibly hackneyed and oh so 80s — Silver couldn’t be more of a stereotypical bad guy — he dumps dangerous waste for a living, the slicked back hair, the lame attempt at making him look wealthy. There definitely wasn’t much budget there.

The fact you describe the final fight as “awesome” would make me question your taste on anything. It was cringe inducing dreck. A well deserved 13 percent on RT.

I'll freely admit a big portion is childhood nostalgia and the points you raise are fair. I do think there's potential there for a better movie and I also think the final fight is assisted by the Bill Conti score

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'll freely admit a big portion is childhood nostalgia and the points you raise are fair. I do think there's potential there for a better movie and I also think the final fight is assisted by the Bill Conti score
Understandable! I was “of age” for nostalgia of this movie, but I guess I largely ignored it at the time. The only thing I really remembered was Daniel hitting the wood and his hands being bloody.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pretty lame it ended with, "Ok this time it's for real!!!"

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, your analysis is consistently terrible.

The Crane kick was easily swatted away by Chozen in Karate Kid 2.

And wasn't the technique you're referring to passed/taught to Daniel by Chozen last season?

Might be wrong but haven't they referenced the crane kick in earlier seasons as some kind of weak technique/move, along with being illegal?

Consistently terrible, huh?

I barely even remember Karate Kid 2, and don't remember that about the Crane Kick. That's actually hilarious.

I think Chozen did pass along the secret technique, which means it isn't the Crane Kick since he knows it already. I wonder what the new secret is.

Grew up with KK1, have little to no recollection of 2 or 3. So my knowledge of the Crane Kick in-canon is Miyagi saying "if do right, no can defend" which is a lot of hype for a move that isn't anything special in real life.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Consistently terrible, huh?

Grew up with KK1, have little to no recollection of 2 or 3.

Exactly why your analysis is "consistently terrible" - just like it would be if you attempted to talk about Star Wars/LOTR lore if you'd only seen one movie and not the full trilogy

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Exactly why your analysis is "consistently terrible" - just like it would be if you attempted to talk about Star Wars/LOTR lore if you'd only seen one movie and not the full trilogy

Cool.

Cybsled

All I remember from Karate Kid 3 is they dropped some ancient Bonzai tree into the ocean and spent like half the movie trying to save it

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Everything above the waist is a point. Referee said "people are gonna be talking about that last kick for years including nerds on an mmo forum"

You're wrong on this. Ref said no hitting in the face. Elizabeth Shue said the everything above the waist thing, and chicks don't know shit about martial arts

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
this shows fun but all these kids should be in jail for assault.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
this shows fun but all these kids should be in jail for assault.

It's a great show, but you definitely have to suspend your belief a bit. In reality, a gang squad task force would have come into town a couple seasons ago and most of the cast would be in juvie or prison.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
That is exactly what is great about this show!
Karate solves everything. Realism is not the goal, its just good ole ass kicking fun like way back.
Don't overthink it.

Can't wait for this season... I just know I'm going to binge it uncontrollably over the weekend and then sit there... knowing there's a whole year to go, at best, till the next season.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
That is exactly what is great about this show!
Karate solves everything. Realism is not the goal, its just good ole ass kicking fun like way back.
Don't overthink it.

Can't wait for this season... I just know I'm going to binge it uncontrollably over the weekend and then sit there... knowing there's a whole year to go, at best, till the next season.

For sure. Wasn't trying to suggest anyone overthink it. The show is definitely good enough that you can ignore the unrealistic things about it.

• 1Like