Coffee Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I already have a kegorator, just need to outfit it for nitro.

The whipped cream dispensers aren't actually pressurizing or nitrogenating anything. If you let a coffee that's been shaken up in one sit for about 5 minutes it will have lost all the Nitrogen even if you get some special N2 cartridge.
oh, what do you think about this then?
Jacked-Up™ Nitro Cold Brew Keg System - Northern Brewer

reviews are bad, but seems like user error and parts are peculiar.

Oldbased

> Than U
So I actually come for advice. I've never been a coffee drinker. I've drank it back when I used to hike due to simplicity of caffeine/weight ratio and something warm to drink in the mornings and I drank it a randomly when I did office work just out of boredom and to keep moving but to me 99% of all coffee taste like ass water.
So why the hell am I in this thread?
I have heart issues, yes ideally I wouldn't drink any caffeine but I live on caffeine and I have no plans of stopping.
Heart issues means I must control my fluid intake daily. A fraction of what most people are supposed to drink about a 1/3rd or less in fact.
It came up this last week I drink half my daily fluid allowance first thing in the morning, usually 2 diet dr peppers( 16.9oz bottles over a hour ) to get going or roughly 34oz of fluids.
Doctor suggested coffee to get the caffeine I refuse to give up but only a fraction of the fluid, said other health uses.
I hate coffee. I love hot chocolate even though I haven't had it in years. I've tried iced coffees and while I am forced to buy them for Shelly, I don't think I could stand to drink that every morning either.
Short of switching to a 5 hour energy what are some suggestions for a chocolate type drink full of caffeine? The goal here is to cut out 20 oz of fluid so I can be taken off water pills. Call it a non compliant compromise if you will between me and my doctors.
I'm thinking of buying one of those "personal" coffee makers I can just sit on my office desk that makes like 1-2 cups at a time.
I've never tried the lattes or other types, pretty much just folgers with enough creams and sugars and milk added to be considered 10% coffee.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I actually come for advice. I've never been a coffee drinker. I've drank it back when I used to hike due to simplicity of caffeine/weight ratio and something warm to drink in the mornings and I drank it a randomly when I did office work just out of boredom and to keep moving but to me 99% of all coffee taste like ass water.
So why the hell am I in this thread?
I have heart issues, yes ideally I wouldn't drink any caffeine but I live on caffeine and I have no plans of stopping.
Heart issues means I must control my fluid intake daily. A fraction of what most people are supposed to drink about a 1/3rd or less in fact.
It came up this last week I drink half my daily fluid allowance first thing in the morning, usually 2 diet dr peppers( 16.9oz bottles over a hour ) to get going or roughly 34oz of fluids.
Doctor suggested coffee to get the caffeine I refuse to give up but only a fraction of the fluid, said other health uses.
I hate coffee. I love hot chocolate even though I haven't had it in years. I've tried iced coffees and while I am forced to buy them for Shelly, I don't think I could stand to drink that every morning either.
Short of switching to a 5 hour energy what are some suggestions for a chocolate type drink full of caffeine? The goal here is to cut out 20 oz of fluid so I can be taken off water pills. Call it a non compliant compromise if you will between me and my doctors.
I'm thinking of buying one of those "personal" coffee makers I can just sit on my office desk that makes like 1-2 cups at a time.
I've never tried the lattes or other types, pretty much just folgers with enough creams and sugars and milk added to be considered 10% coffee.

If this is purely about wanting your caffeine fix, but saving on liquid intake, why not just take caffeine pills?

You don't have to force yourself to drink something you don't enjoy and caffeine pills are FAR cheaper than coffee.

Oldbased

> Than U
If this is purely about wanting your caffeine fix, but saving on liquid intake, why not just take caffeine pills?

You don't have to force yourself to drink something you don't enjoy and caffeine pills are FAR cheaper than coffee.
I've considered it but I figured I might give some of the many different types of coffees/drinks a chance as well. Who knows, maybe I'll find something I actually enjoy!
I tried Starbucks Refreshers as we always have those around and it wasn't for me.
Vitamin water( zero ) has less caffeine per oz for the Energy flavor.
I remember seeing someplace a coffee that had 100mg of caffeine which is what I am after in a cup, that may be crazy though so maybe some other type would have it within 2 cups.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Why not try espresso? About as much caffeine as a cup of coffee with 1/4 the liquid, so even if you don't like the taste, easy to choke down. If you're insistent on trying coffee options, that seems like a good start. Another thing to try to see if you like the flavour is to stir some hot chocolate powder in to your coffee grinds to gain that chocolate flavour.

Oldbased

> Than U
Why not try espresso? About as much caffeine as a cup of coffee with 1/4 the liquid, so even if you don't like the taste, easy to choke down. If you're insistent on trying coffee options, that seems like a good start. Another thing to try to see if you like the flavour is to stir some hot chocolate powder in to your coffee grinds to gain that chocolate flavour.
Hmm I'll get some and try that. Any word on a good basic coffee to start with for that? I'm not going to buy some expensive deluxe machine that only runs microchipped pods or whatever that crap period of time was people were doing. Still just folgers or is there a better option that is in typical grocery stores now?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone have a link to a good instructional for Aeropress? I'm a visual kind of guy so reading about it has just made my brain hurt.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone have a link to a good instructional for Aeropress? I'm a visual kind of guy so reading about it has just made my brain hurt.
dibbble_130917_02-copy.gif

aeropressgif.gif

Note, many have come to adopt the "inverted aeropress", where you start off doing it upside down, b/c you want to infuse the coffee for a more "bold/full body" taste
c4nLOr4.jpg

I personally don't believe in it, having tried both, if i want to extract more flavor i'll just have a finer grind.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As a pleb who just used a 12 cup as I go thru too much to just get a big cold brew thing.....

Was suprised how good yuban gold was compared to stuff i normally get. Plenty of strong flavor but still kinda smooth.

I'm sure it's trash to the aeropress self grind bean crowd but for the heathens like me seems good. Need to stock up next Costco sale.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As a pleb who just used a 12 cup as I go thru too much to just get a big cold brew thing.....

Was suprised how good yuban gold was compared to stuff i normally get. Plenty of strong flavor but still kinda smooth.

I'm sure it's trash to the aeropress self grind bean crowd but for the heathens like me seems good. Need to stock up next Costco sale.
Well one thing yukon gold(only gold) always had going for it, is that they were always 100% arabica. the other preground stuff you find in tin cans or the yellow brick (cafe bustelo) all have blends of arabica and robusta.

chock full o nuts
cafe bustela
maxwell/foldgers
etc

if you don't see 100% arabica beans AVOID,

don pablo still going strong for me
717oELCJeyL._SY679_.jpg

first thing on the bag is 100% arabica, ALWAYS look for this, again Robusta beans is dank coffee. (ok the upper tier 1 super robusta crops are good, but obviously if they're making blends of arabica and robusta, they ain't doing it for science, they doing it for profit)

Please don't confuse this w/ "single origin" which basically means all the beans come from 1 source, and by source they mean by one farm. It could still be open ended, is that "single origin" robusta or arabica???

Always, start with 100% arabica, then you can pick and choose your favorite coffees.

Sludig, you might've just gotten entirely lucky in choosing Yukon gold and wondering why it tastes better than folgers or some shit, if you can taste that difference, heck... you really might want to expand your coffee journey.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

I'm not opposed, but it's just about got to come to me. As I don't have a lot of time for experimenting. Especially once I got back to getting up at 4am. Fancy doesn't suit me when I want to kill things for me being awake.

I did like my parents cold brew pot that made the super concentrated stuff for making cups of coffee quick which were strong.

As with some things, I get overwhelmed with choices. I mean literally hundreds of options, by the time I taste 10, I'll have already forgotten which I like.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not opposed, but it's just about got to come to me. As I don't have a lot of time for experimenting. Especially once I got back to getting up at 4am. Fancy doesn't suit me when I want to kill things for me being awake.

I did like my parents cold brew pot that made the super concentrated stuff for making cups of coffee quick which were strong.

As with some things, I get overwhelmed with choices. I mean literally hundreds of options, by the time I taste 10, I'll have already forgotten which I like.
cold brew is great, i myself make cold brew and freeze it into 2in icecubes. Then i usually make a cup of coffee with 2, 2in ice cubes, i don't dilute it, i like the super concentrate.

here are the realistic costs for cold brew
1. toddy cold brew this is the one most every one gets, it's like 40bucks and tried and true
2. the new hotness is the oxo cold brew, one it's not ugly like the toddy, it uses a simple release button, rather than the plunger cork of the toddy and they let you choose the option of a paper filter or to use a perma cloth filter, it's like 50bucks (and more wife approved for the kitchen)
3. then theres the water pitcher cold brew, you just put the grinds in that filter and fill up with water and put in your fridge.

I only like the pitcher b/c it makes a great entertainment piece, and it's really nice.

cold brew isn't difficult at all, it just takes 5minutes of prep, since you'll be using already ground coffee, it'll take you 3minutes of prep, and just wait the 12hrs to 48hrs (depending on how long you want to brew, that's preference)

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have had several friends - 4 or 5 - who had an in-machine grinder. Every single one of them had the same thing to say about it: so much cleaning up, have to do it so often or it doesn't all get to where it needs to be, and ends up making weak, crappy coffee. I love the morning timer thing, but why does it have to be ground mere seconds before? Ground the night before seems sufficient. Unless you are a hipster with a hair bun, I suppose.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I have had several friends - 4 or 5 - who had an in-machine grinder. Every single one of them had the same thing to say about it: so much cleaning up, have to do it so often or it doesn't all get to where it needs to be, and ends up making weak, crappy coffee. I love the morning timer thing, but why does it have to be ground mere seconds before? Ground the night before seems sufficient. Unless you are a hipster with a hair bun, I suppose.
No hair bun here, but I don't pre-plan when I make my coffee. Also I can shut out everything around me while I grind the coffee.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have had several friends - 4 or 5 - who had an in-machine grinder. Every single one of them had the same thing to say about it: so much cleaning up, have to do it so often or it doesn't all get to where it needs to be, and ends up making weak, crappy coffee.
it makes weak/crappy coffee b/c (that model particaliarly) does not feed the beans well. ppl have noted it has to be taller to feed the beans effectively, but it's "stout" b/c it's already too big (cuz it's a combo machine) but they try to make up for it by making it wider (too tall and it will not fit under most countertops/cabinets). this means you may have wanted 2oz of coffee ground up, but you only get 1oz cuz of the design limitation of the machine.

also, you don't need a great grinder for a drip machine.

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
Anyone want to recommend a machine with a built in grinder? My biggest thing is convenience. If it takes more than a few minutes to prepare the coffee I don't want to do it.

Picasso3

Amazon.com: Delonghi ECAM22110B Super Automatic Espresso, Latte and Cappuccino Machine, Black: Home & Kitchen

i bought that about a year ago, first one fucked up but next ones been going strong for about 10 months now.

I have already decided when this one breaks i'll buy another superautomatic single serve machine. Next time I may get one I can hook to the water supply but never again will I have drip filters etc.

Regards to quickness, you turn it on and it takes 30 secs to a min i'd say to heat up, then you push your serving and prob another 30 or 45 seconds for your coffee. If you want a latte it'll take another minute or so to steam milk.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone want to recommend a machine with a built in grinder? My biggest thing is convenience. If it takes more than a few minutes to prepare the coffee I don't want to do it.
Amazon.com: Cuisinart DGB-625BC Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Brushed Metal: Drip Coffeemakers: Kitchen & Dining

We have this one at home. It can be a bit tedious because you need to clean all the parts after every pot you brew. But for the price, and the convenience that my wife does all of the cleaning of it, I absolutely love it!