Coffee Thread

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Hmm I'll get some and try that. Any word on a good basic coffee to start with for that? I'm not going to buy some expensive deluxe machine that only runs microchipped pods or whatever that crap period of time was people were doing. Still just folgers or is there a better option that is in typical grocery stores now?

I was once like you, bought a Nespresso machine and have been chugging down (happily) caramel macchiato's like water the past year. The one's I make at home in about 2 minutes are better than Starbucks as well. Best $200 I've spent in years.

I still hate coffee but can definitely drink espresso straight as it is more flavorful and regular black coffee tastes horrible to me

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Headed to Puerto Rico for a couple weeks... gonna stock up on Alto Grande and Yaucono beans!! Maybe like half a suitcase, lol.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
We alternate between the Don Pablo whole bean and the Kona Blend whole bean from Costco - use the Krups grinder and have a Cuisinart drip machine. I like the Don Pablo but wife leans towards the Kona blend (emphasis on blend, pure Kona is silly expensive).

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Kona isn't my thing, pretty sure a friend said he was doing 18$ a /pd for pure, I'll ask him once I'm stateside

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I thought the Costco Kona blend was just O. K. I did not find it "full" enough thetefore, I did not buy a second time. I am still looking for a repeatable favorite.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I thought the Costco Kona blend was just O. K. I did not find it "full" enough thetefore, I did not buy a second time. I am still looking for a repeatable favorite.

Same here - it was good coffee but varied from bag to bag, and I like the Don Pablo and find it much more consistent. We've tried the Jamaican from there as well and didn't much care for it.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

You have to roast your own. Getting a dark roast on the green beans we get makes such a delicious cup o coffee, I'm not sure I could ever go back to buying pre-roasted coffee.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
You have to roast your own. Getting a dark roast on the green beans we get makes such a delicious cup o coffee, I'm not sure I could ever go back to buying pre-roasted coffee.
I have to do too many things on my own right now to add roasting coffee to that list! :)

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well then suffer in coffee mediocrity.

I bought one of those cats that eats the beans then shits them out whole. I just throw that fucker in the oven and kill 2 birds with one stone.

• 3Worf
  • 1Quality Calories
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Overzealous movers packed away my travel coffee kit, in corporate housing, this is what I could come up with on the fly.
PHOTO_20170709_190759.jpg

I got a zerowater too, with Don Pablo beans on the way. Mr coffee doesn't brew hot enough, so I'm also doing cold brew (bought a few pitchers to hold the brew). I actually like the 15$ grinder I picked up at Walmart.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Overzealous movers packed away my travel coffee kit, in corporate housing, this is what I could come up with on the fly. View attachment 149003
I got a zerowater too, with Don Pablo beans on the way. Mr coffee doesn't brew hot enough, so I'm also doing cold brew (bought a few pitchers to hold the brew). I actually like the 15$ grinder I picked up at Walmart.
Mr. Coffee doesn't have a temp sensor, it uses a timer... run the water through twice without any beans/filter and it'll get hot enough.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mr. Coffee doesn't have a temp sensor, it uses a timer... run the water through twice without any beans/filter and it'll get hot enough.
Yeah I was thinking of just boiling water and running it through, place has everything but a kettle. I need to buy a new one anyway. One I have is white, need to get a glass or stainless to match.

Running twice worked well

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We alternate between the Don Pablo whole bean and the Kona Blend whole bean from Costco - use the Krups grinder and have a Cuisinart drip machine. I like the Don Pablo but wife leans towards the Kona blend (emphasis on blend, pure Kona is silly expensive).
asked my friend, he actually does don francisco kona blend, he didn't get pure. He does subscribe and save and works out to 10bucks a lb, which is pretty good when don pablo is 8bucks a /lb.

I've used don francisco before, a good bean, but i didn't find it too oily, which is good for the grinder, but i want it coated in oils.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
I don't know if any of you live in Colorado or traverse through the Denver area often but I just stumbled across this recently (maybe some of you on here were already familiar with it) and was completely blown away. This might be the best cup of coffee I've ever tasted. This article goes into how they do it (video as well) but apparently this is something you can only do at higher elevations due to the boiling point of water. HIGHLY recommend you try this if you are ever in the Denver or Boulder areas:

Boxcar Colorado: Delicious, Meticulously Brewed ... Boiled Coffee?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
but apparently this is something you can only do at higher elevations due to the boiling point of water.
I'll explain what this part means

coffee is universally agreed that 195-205 is the best brew temp. below that temp you have underextracted coffee and past it, you get burnt coffee

At high elevation water boils at like 20f less (water boils at 220f), so you can (brew)"boil" coffee w/o giving it that burnt taste.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Last edited: