Coffee Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm assuming since the water boils at 202 there that you cant burn the coffee and maybe the fact that it is boiling removes even more co2?

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
I'm assuming since the water boils at 202 there that you cant burn the coffee and maybe the fact that it is boiling removes even more co2?

Not sure but the article I linked mentioned that they only bring it to boil for 2-3 seconds before taking it off the heat so I'd assume you could burn it if you left it on longer.

I actually live at 6800 feet and I'm thinking about trying this method myself tomorrow. It seems pretty simple really. The only question I have is that they start out with "warm" water to let it "bloom". I'm wondering how warm that really is. Is it just warm like from the tap or is it close to boiling warm?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
thats household voltage is russia
god you're right, no more traveling to me.
The only question I have is that they start out with "warm" water to let it "bloom". I'm wondering how warm that really is. Is it just warm like from the tap or is it close to boiling warm?

Blooming is immediate w/ hot water. Well that's visual Blooming, all blooming is, is releasing CO2 and the majority of that is done when you grind cuz you create so much surface area. Adding hot water just releases CO2 at a faster rate and looks pretty.

Last edited:

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
god you're right, no more traveling to me.

Blooming is immediate w/ hot water. Well that's visual Blooming, all blooming is, is releasing CO2 and the majority of that is done when you grind cuz you create so much surface area. Adding hot water just releases CO2 at a faster rate and looks pretty.
Well apparently its critical to their process which I assume has more purpose than just making it look pretty. The question still stands, how "warm" should the water be for this step?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Well apparently its critical to their process which I assume has more purpose than just making it look pretty. The question still stands, how "warm" should the water be for this step?
hot water activates the visual bloom, you're just forcing water into the air cavities that the CO2 was hiding in.

if you want a temp of hot water, anything over 100f

Blooming is really just a few seconds, the coffee in the video bloomed longer b/c the coffee was roasted the day before. (fresher roasted coffee has more co2, since thats where co2 is introduced).

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
So how long does it need to "bloom"? I think in the video he did it for about 45 seconds? Or does it matter?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
So how long does it need to "bloom"? I think in the video he did it for about 45 seconds? Or does it matter?
Like Lleauaric linked, 30s is good, and again, it's most likely 45s in the vid cuz it was a 1day roast roast, which the guy even said it may be "too" fresh.

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Well I tried it out for myself. Turned out pretty damn good. Not quite as good as what Boxcar did but I'm happy. I got a cheap $20 Farberware Kettle like this from Wal-mart a while back that I've been using for AeroPress. It has a built in metal strainer in the spigot. Going to keep practicing to see if I can get my method down quicker but this might end up being even better overall method than the AeroPress.

4db913cf-14e3-4ec6-b2b0-6816d98b40c9_1.f4752b50a7c7789fdf295932df56d609.jpeg

I tried looking up some of those flask warmers like the ones they were using and HOLY SHIT that stuff is expensive.

Glas-Col 100B TM112 Series TM Aluminum Housed Mantle for Spherical Flask, 3000ml Flask Capacity, 115V: Science Lab Heating Mantles: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Heating Mantles

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Got one of these phins yesterday.

Amazon.com: Vietnamese Dripper Coffee Machine Filter. Suitable for Trung Nguyen Coffee- Gravity Insert, Extra large (15 oz): Kitchen & Dining

Gotta love cà phê đá on a hot day. The sweetened condensed milk is a pain in the ass to store though.
yea, you probably figured out your gonna need to plastic wrap it or use something air tight or you'll have a lump of hardend rock at the end of the week. Also it's like ice cream, it'll taste like your dank fridge.

I just opened a can yesterday (i'm making green tea bubble tea) and poured it into an airtight rubbermaid container. I would have used a food saver jar, but all my stuff still in storage.

also if you're gonna use condensed milk, i find it easiest to just use a spoon instead of pouring out the condensed milk. Just spoon enough for your drink and use that same spoon to mix your drink, no nasty sticky glass lip.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Reading up on it, someone suggested punching a hole in the can instead of removing the lid. Might try that combined with the plastic wrap.

I've also been using my stock Arabica beans till I get around to ordering some Robusta, but its still good, maybe a little sweeter than real VIC, but really good.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
wife had fun playing w/ a delonghi superauto, and now wants one. probably after xmas we'll get one (land taxes and other presents), i've tried a jura before, they've just released this jura a1, what i don't like about juras is that i can't have access to the brew group.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm working at a remote office, and they bought a Jura Xs90, it's nice but weird.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
forgive my heathenish

my wife and I mild coffee drinkers, several coups a day. our current brewer is one that drips into an insulated therms, not a glass pot w/ a heater. we like this much better than previous glass pots on heaters as if you don't get a cup in the first few minutes, it's terrible. problem is it's about 2 years old, so not brewing as hot initially, and only makes 10 cups. well, holds 10 cups of water pre-brewed, there's never that much in the pot. so my wife and i fight over how evenly the pot is shared lol

can anyone recommend a basic brewer that just uses an insulated pot, doesn't heat after brewing? we have a french press, and few brewers you put on the stove, we typically cna't be bothered w/ the extra effort, especially 1st thing in the morning.

was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DTC-975BKN-Programmable-Thermal-Brewer/dp/B0000YTYGM/ref=sr_1_53 , but open to suggestions for better quality. i don't see any like this that boast the ability to ensure water temp during brewing.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Get an electric percolator. They'll usually have a heating element in them but it's not like having a glass container sitting on a hot plate like a normal drip coffee maker.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
forgive my heathenish

my wife and I mild coffee drinkers, several coups a day. our current brewer is one that drips into an insulated therms, not a glass pot w/ a heater. we like this much better than previous glass pots on heaters as if you don't get a cup in the first few minutes, it's terrible. problem is it's about 2 years old, so not brewing as hot initially, and only makes 10 cups. well, holds 10 cups of water pre-brewed, there's never that much in the pot. so my wife and i fight over how evenly the pot is shared lol

can anyone recommend a basic brewer that just uses an insulated pot, doesn't heat after brewing? we have a french press, and few brewers you put on the stove, we typically cna't be bothered w/ the extra effort, especially 1st thing in the morning.

was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DTC-975BKN-Programmable-Thermal-Brewer/dp/B0000YTYGM/ref=sr_1_53 , but open to suggestions for better quality. i don't see any like this that boast the ability to ensure water temp during brewing.
what you want is more known as an insulated coffee carafe

(carafe is just fancy name for coffee pot)

and yea it's better than glass, b/c the heating element usually leads to "scortched" coffee, so many are being dripped into steel carafes now.

the problem you're facing is that many coffee makers suck and don't properly heat the water to the desired temp (195-205) any less and you get weak coffee, any more and you get burned coffee, the scaa has a list that are tested to goto the proper temp.

a good one that is like 130 is
bonavita 8 cup

even has the steel carafe (these generally cost 20bucks more than versions w/ glass)

if you want more options, ask, the current scaa list is here

• Technivorm Moccamaster
  • Behmor Connected Brewer or Behmor Connected Coffee Brew System
  • KitchenAid Coffee Maker KCM0802
  • KitchenAid Pour Over Coffee Brewer (model KCM0801OB)
  • Bonavita Coffee Maker (model BV1900TS)
  • Bonavita BV1900TD 8-Cup Digital Coffee Brewer
  • OXO On 9-Cup Coffee Maker
  • OXO On 12-Cup Coffee Maker
  • Wilfa Precision Coffee Maker
  • BUNN 10-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker
  • Behmor Brazen Connected 8 Cup Coffee Maker
  • Cuisinart PurePrecision™ Pour Over Coffee Brewer

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users