Coffee Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hell yeah.
i basically have this (it's a clone of a clone, i mean it's just stainless steel and o rings)
9e5ee10cad17ca78c6d5ba1c94df050b.png

Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker - Home Brew Coffee Keg, Nitrogen Coffee Machine Dispenser System w/ Pressure Relieving Valve Kit & Stout Creamer Faucet - NutriChef NCNTROCB10

from what i researched b4 there are 3 ways to get cold brew
1. whipped cream dispenser w/ catridge
2. mini keg w/cartridge
3. keg o rator with mini fridge and n2 from a supply store

you can easily tell that the whipped cream dispenser isn't gonna cut it, the mini keg is now what most ppl use (i guess as there are so many clones now, when i got mine, mine was the only one)

i use 2 cups of cold brew to 4 cups of water and that fills it up.

then i puncture in a cold n2 cartridge shake a little and out it comes, after the first pour i do another n2 cartridge, it'll take two n2 cartridges to pout it all out, i don't do 2 at one b/c thats too much pressure, b/c you can tell the instance you do that the pressure relief valve lets out all the gas (which is good, you don't want explody)

to keep it economical i buy n2o cartirdges in bulk
005044f837235e79997a7b1a7ff94d1a.png

comes out to 45c per and you use 2 per

of course you can buy co2 for like 10c but then it's not nitro cold brew is it? it's just gassy coffee, you use the n2o cartridges for that "sweet" foamy taste.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i basically have this (it's a clone of a clone, i mean it's just stainless steel and o rings)
9e5ee10cad17ca78c6d5ba1c94df050b.png

Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker - Home Brew Coffee Keg, Nitrogen Coffee Machine Dispenser System w/ Pressure Relieving Valve Kit & Stout Creamer Faucet - NutriChef NCNTROCB10

from what i researched b4 there are 3 ways to get cold brew
1. whipped cream dispenser w/ catridge
2. mini keg w/cartridge
3. keg o rator with mini fridge and n2 from a supply store

you can easily tell that the whipped cream dispenser isn't gonna cut it, the mini keg is now what most ppl use (i guess as there are so many clones now, when i got mine, mine was the only one)

i use 2 cups of cold brew to 4 cups of water and that fills it up.

then i puncture in a cold n2 cartridge shake a little and out it comes, after the first pour i do another n2 cartridge, it'll take two n2 cartridges to pout it all out, i don't do 2 at one b/c thats too much pressure, b/c you can tell the instance you do that the pressure relief valve lets out all the gas (which is good, you don't want explody)

to keep it economical i buy n2o cartirdges in bulk
005044f837235e79997a7b1a7ff94d1a.png

comes out to 45c per and you use 2 per

of course you can buy co2 for like 10c but then it's not nitro cold brew is it? it's just gassy coffee, you use the n2o cartridges for that "sweet" foamy taste.
So you need to make the cold brew batch prior to making the nitro. Cold brew has to sit for a while in the fridge right?

The kegerator option sounds like a lot of fun. Debating whether I want to try to find the space to cram it into my kitchen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So you need to make the cold brew batch prior to making the nitro. Cold brew has to sit for a while in the fridge right?

The kegerator option sounds like a lot of fun. Debating whether I want to try to find the space to cram it into my kitchen.
yes, most places will say 18hrs at least 12hours to cold brew, some say overnight is enough, some say you can cold brew at room temp, some say fridge only, the cold brewers is
me
LiquidDeath LiquidDeath
Brahma Brahma

we all probably have our preferred method brew times etc.

if you have not cold brew yet, many use, started with a hario or
Takeya Patented Deluxe Cold Brew Coffee Maker, One Quart, Black
i believe brama does this

another way for big batch
toddy cold brew

you dump the grinds and water into the bucket and when youre ready take out the cork on the bottom

right now liquid and i use the dump coffee into a pitcher and just pour it out, he uses a milk nut bag i use a coffee filter to keep the grinds in check

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
yes, most places will say 18hrs at least 12hours to cold brew, some say overnight is enough, some say you can cold brew at room temp, some say fridge only, the cold brewers is
me
LiquidDeath LiquidDeath
Brahma Brahma

toddy cold brew

you dump the grinds and water into the bucket and when youre ready take out the cork on the bottom

right now liquid and i use the dump coffee into a pitcher and just pour it out, he uses a milk nut bag i use a coffee filter to keep the grinds in check
That's not too bad. My only concern is those containers seem rather small, I'd go through a quart in a day most likely. Guess that wouldn't be too bad if I was able to get away with a 12 hour batch and throw it in every night.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I do coarsest grind my burr grinder can do and then let it go for 24 hours. I don't dilute my brew and do 1 and 2/3 cups of beans per gallon of water.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

That's not too bad. My only concern is those containers seem rather small, I'd go through a quart in a day most likely. Guess that wouldn't be too bad if I was able to get away with a 12 hour batch and throw it in every night.

Sam's sells the hotel style 5 gallon stainless steel coffee dispensers for like $40. If you have the fridge space you can just brew it directly in there and have plenty to hold you over.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So uh, my thought was that quality of coffee is way less important for cold brew. I got this from my local coffee place selling me "old" bags of coffee (~1mo) for a steep discount if I was 'using it for cold brew'. While I actually did that (and bought fresher stuff for actual hot brewing), I'd like other's opinions.

As far as nitro goes... I have a friend with a pretty nice home canner. I'm wondering if I can some nitro-brew from him in it, or if it'll "dissolve" out. I'm thinking more of beer and the shit they go through for Nitro containers.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I was going to post that I recently switched to the pour over method, but I feel like I'm in a completely different thread. Anyway, not sure if it's the method or the paper filters(was using metal previously) but it seems to eliminate a lot of the sourness.

Cold brew did that too, but I found it quite flat in taste.

I buy coffee, unground, in bigger bags because cheaper. I definitely notice the brew diminishes in quality towards the end of the bag. After opening the bag, they go into mason jars and then into cabinets. Anything else I can do to keep it fresher longer?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was going to post that I recently switched to the pour over method, but I feel like I'm in a completely different thread. Anyway, not sure if it's the method or the paper filters(was using metal previously) but it seems to eliminate a lot of the sourness.

I buy coffee, unground, in bigger bags because cheaper. I definitely notice the brew diminishes in quality towards the end of the bag. After opening the bag, they go into mason jars and then into cabinets. Anything else I can do to keep it fresher longer?
they've tested vacuumed vs. air tight vs. mason jars and vacuumed canisters win, i've used a coffeevac forever and seems to keep beans good for a long time, it creates a partial vac and lets co2 out (beans gas out)
Coffeevac 1 lb - The Ultimate Vacuum Sealed Coffee Container, Black Cap & Body

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
me
LiquidDeath LiquidDeath
Brahma Brahma

toddy cold brew

After about 16 hours I notice the coffee gets too "sharp" for my tastes.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So uh, my thought was that quality of coffee is way less important for cold brew. I got this from my local coffee place selling me "old" bags of coffee (~1mo) for a steep discount if I was 'using it for cold brew'. While I actually did that (and bought fresher stuff for actual hot brewing), I'd like other's opinions.

As far as nitro goes... I have a friend with a pretty nice home canner. I'm wondering if I can some nitro-brew from him in it, or if it'll "dissolve" out. I'm thinking more of beer and the shit they go through for Nitro containers.

Coffee quality really matters, including cold brew. If I use some Foldgers because I'm out of Bizzy's...ya I'm going to have a bad day.

I use a couple of these for my cold brew. Just remember the design leaves a lot of untouched coffee grounds, so make sure to account for that with pouring over the grounds, and giving it a swirl or two when you open the fridge.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Coffee quality really matters, including cold brew. If I use some Foldgers because I'm out of Bizzy's...ya I'm going to have a bad day.

I use a couple of these for my cold brew. Just remember the design leaves a lot of untouched coffee grounds, so make sure to account for that with pouring over the grounds, and giving it a swirl or two when you open the fridge.

you still trying different beans or you've settled?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
you still trying different beans or you've settled?

Tried about 7. Stuck with Bizzy smooth and sweet. Bags are convenient. Little pricey, but hey. Think I've earned an expensive cup of iced coffee in my 50 years.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

I use this to store the 2.2 lb Lavazza whole bean bags I buy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
after a while, you can learn to layer your cold brew, just like a latte too
20200910_222204.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I use this to store the 2.2 lb Lavazza whole bean bags I buy.
how you like the handle and depress thing? i just bought one, cuz as you said i as well have 2.2lb packages and at first i was just splitting between my 1lb coffee vac and another pump container

LiquidDeath

how you like the handle and depress thing? i just bought one, cuz as you said i as well have 2.2lb packages and at first i was just splitting between my 1lb coffee vac and another pump container

I love it. It works great and after a few times you get used to holding the button in when you open and close it.

LiquidDeath

Had to make some more cold brew this morning, so I took a few pictures to show how stupid simple my setup is.

Nut milk bag goes in the pitcher, then grounds go in the bag:
IMG_20200916_081747.jpg

After that, water to the fill line (I use the sprayer to make sure all the grounds get wet):
IMG_20200916_081849.jpg

Lid on and into the fridge:
IMG_20200916_081905.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Had to make some more cold brew this morning, so I took a few pictures to show how stupid simple my setup is.

Nut milk bag goes in the pitcher, then grounds go in the bag:
View attachment 302902

After that, water to the fill line (I use the sprayer to make sure all the grounds get wet):
View attachment 302903

Lid on and into the fridge:
View attachment 302904
i purchased this a while back, i'll be emptying it tonight
b03e5224fc48f8deaf07d8be3e4e2b87.png

it's just enough to hold 6oz of grinds to 50oz of water in the pitcher.

yea i know it'll still have lots of sludge, but it'll just be 1 less step for me to hassle with, usually my ground woulds be in the pitcher and i'd drain it through a double mesh of a fine collander to an extra fine collander and then i drain that into a coffee filter.

i hope when i pull out this basket, i wont have to use the collanders and just put it in the coffee filter basket to drain.