Coffee Thread

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
i purchased this a while back, i'll be emptying it tonight
b03e5224fc48f8deaf07d8be3e4e2b87.png

it's just enough to hold 6oz of grinds to 50oz of water in the pitcher.

yea i know it'll still have lots of sludge, but it'll just be 1 less step for me to hassle with, usually my ground woulds be in the pitcher and i'd drain it through a double mesh of a fine collander to an extra fine collander and then i drain that into a coffee filter.

i hope when i pull out this basket, i wont have to use the collanders and just put it in the coffee filter basket to drain.

Let us know how it goes. I'd love a simpler, cleaner way to do the whole thing.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
on a related note i didn't know the kilovac had a twist to lock/open looks like it's just there really so you can pick up the kilovac by the handle and not have it loose vacuum and drop to the floor.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
what ratio of grounds-to-water are you using? Mine is usually eye-balled and I'd like to get better at it. Are you doing concentrate or "cold brew" that you don't need to cut?
How simple is that bag to clean? My current W&E thing is a bitch to clean, but if I throw it in a jar I end up dumping it into a chemex to filter after it rests.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
what ratio of grounds-to-water are you using? Mine is usually eye-balled and I'd like to get better at it. Are you doing concentrate or "cold brew" that you don't need to cut?
How simple is that bag to clean? My current W&E thing is a bitch to clean, but if I throw it in a jar I end up dumping it into a chemex to filter after it rests.
to get better, you have to start measuring

i believe a good standard to go off of is 5:1, stumptown is one of the more renowed cold brews and will tout 12oz grinds to 64oz water

adjust to your tastes and caffine intake, imo. i go 8:1, 6oz to 50oz and i cut it with 2parts water in nitro cold brew.

i actually prefer it stronger, like 6:1, but my wife turns into a mad scientist with that much concentrate.

theres not as much testing with cold brew as there is for brewed coffee, whereas ppl agree that the golden ratio is 18:1,

cold brew is like "let it seep another hour and see"

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
whelp i took it out and it was easy, or rather i poured 1 brewed pitcher directly into another pitcher (i have 2 mixing bowls with hallowed out botom that'll filter with coffee filter) and i just used my extra fine mesh strain to catch a few, and it's drain through the filter super fast. my theory is that this new basket strainer is holding in a lot of fine particles. anyway most of the liquid is draining out of the basket and clean up is easy for me, i just walk out to my porch and dump the grinds into my compost bin, i took a bowl of water and swooshed the basket in there to dislodge all the grinds and dumped that water in the grinds too (i don't want any grinds in my sewage lines)

picture is easier to show

20200916_204426.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Still loving nespresso. I use a k-cup for my morning coffee b/c since I rarely eat breakfast (sometimes even lunch) I dose it with a very healthy shot of cream for some quality calories.
so since the wife checked out the technivorm she wanted espresso again. not gonna take out the gaggia i have in storage, so time to buy a nespresso. apparently they have a nespresso2 called the ventuo, what this has is each capsule is barcoded, so you know that you can't get capsules from anywhere else but nespresso, but it also spins the capsule, and ppl say it's subjectively better.

decided to get the cute one with the swing tank cuz i hate pouring water from behind
4db195c5e42f0ad73f343fcc1bf5826a.png

just when i thought i was done, this is three brewing methods, nitro cold brew, drip and now nespresso capsules, argh, oh well when covid is done guests can make their own espresso w/o me around i guess (i refuse to get kcup)

I got my first nespresso way back 2004 or 5. Since I hate actually "making" espresso, plus I suck at it, Nespresso has an irrational, emotional meaning for me. Back then I would have 8 espressos before noon, while I worked in my office.

You can imagine the diff it made back then. Boom, a more-than-decent espresso, in seconds. That is exactly how I want it, forever.

Some of you guys are operating though. That nitro stuff. I think I accidentally skipped awareness of an entire decade.

Enjoy! Out of k-cups so volluto for me this morning -- light roast. A couple vollutos and a tall glass of cold water. Roma, volluto, and livanto are my 3 nespresso classics. I buy from them. By now it's old, but I still like their business, + irrational emotional loyalty lol.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I got my first nespresso way back 2004 or 5. Since I hate actually "making" espresso, plus I suck at it, Nespresso has an irrational, emotional meaning for me. Back then I would have 8 espressos before noon, while I worked in my office.

You can imagine the diff it made back then. Boom, a more-than-decent espresso, in seconds. That is exactly how I want it, forever.

Some of you guys are operating though. That nitro stuff. I think I accidentally skipped awareness of an entire decade.

Enjoy! Out of k-cups so volluto for me this morning -- light roast. A couple vollutos and a tall glass of cold water. Roma, volluto, and livanto are my 3 nespresso classics. I buy from them. By now it's old, but I still like their business, + irrational emotional loyalty lol.
yea playing with the gaggia i had, i remember someone saying, do i want to have a coffee or have a hobby and i totally agree with that sentiment, it's why i put away the gaggia and the smelly knockbox and cute tamper.

yea try a nitro cold brew, imo, i have no idea how your coffee shops are doing in covid, but starbucks does sell a canned nitro cold brew you can try, i'm sure supermarkets sell em.
fd1441a5360bfc9ea0b41a58e65b97bd.png

jesus christ, thats 3.50$ for one?

i personally won't be partaking in the nespresso, the oils from espresso fuck up my bowels, so i use filtered.

i will be testing a cloth filter for the technivorm tho, just to see how thats gonna go, it is taking it's time to ship tho.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The price these places charge for nitro cold brew (and cold brew in general) is ridiculous.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
so since the wife checked out the technivorm she wanted espresso again. not gonna take out the gaggia i have in storage, so time to buy a nespresso. apparently they have a nespresso2 called the ventuo, what this has is each capsule is barcoded, so you know that you can't get capsules from anywhere else but nespresso, but it also spins the capsule, and ppl say it's subjectively better.

decided to get the cute one with the swing tank cuz i hate pouring water from behind

just when i thought i was done, this is three brewing methods, nitro cold brew, drip and now nespresso capsules, argh, oh well when covid is done guests can make their own espresso w/o me around i guess (i refuse to get kcup)
Why the K-Cup hate when you have the same pod-based brewer? Quality? Recyclability (even though that's a scam)?
My friend has OCD and REQUIRED a latte from a local coffee chain, but her husband bought a nespresso and now she's fine with that as a substitute.

how much for a glass on tap?

$4 for 16oz is what I've been paying. But this is a hipster coffee + bike shop and so I'm overpaying for the ambiance.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why the K-Cup hate when you have the same pod-based brewer? Quality? Recyclability (even though that's a scam)?
My friend has OCD and REQUIRED a latte from a local coffee chain, but her husband bought a nespresso and now she's fine with that as a substitute.
naw i'm no greta, when i visited friends kcup is always the coffee they have, and it always taste dank, even with filtered water. upon investigation brew temp was low, i've seen videos where you can hack em, but i'm not gonna touch their machines

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

This is the one i have. Its awesome, my only regret is not buying one sooner

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
How does it do the nitro cold brew? And is it easy to clean/maintain?

Not nitro i dont think but they have extra strong capsules meant for pouring over ice and then their aero something frother can cold froth. I dont drink cold stuff usually so was mainly talking about coffee / expresso

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
are you getting exclusive espresso or coffee pods or both?

Both. And ive gotten the 14 oz pods and the 5oz expresso. All friggen awesome. I think once we've gone through trying things, my mainstays will be alto intenso for big cups, stormio for reg cup coffee, fortado for big expresso and scuro for double expresso. That covers about everything. The seperate frother works really well too although we rarely use it