Coffee Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
After a decade of putting it off, I finally broke down and bought a French press.
if you find that your tasteing too much grinds or sludge,

wrap the plunger in basket filter paper before you plunge and you should have a cleaner drink
0c7695000ce596a7033b624420eb8cd7.png

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
I actually don’t mind it too much. I like my coffee as strong as possible and the French press actually leaves less grounds than the method I was doing before. Should have gotten one years ago.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Why nespresso??
if you want the "ease" of single cup, nespresso makes the best single cup experience.

the problem with most keurigs is that theyre designed to output at less than the ideal temp for coffee extraction, 195f to 205f, most ppl have to modify it like so

it's not that you want a "piping hot" cup of joe, it's that, that tempurature is best to extract the best and not too much acidity

the new keurig elites i believe have new programmable settings now to do it, idk

the nespresso does that, well the vertuo system does more since the cups themselves have barcodes to tell the machine how to brew it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
Original. I have an old machine with the built in steam wand. I got it for 50% off and it's paid for itself at least 4 times over compared to local coffee shops. I might upgrade one day, but for now we are just drinking master collection and shit. I make lattes, frapps, iced brews, whatever it's fucking great.

Looks like the price went up actually. I paid $200.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Original. I have an old machine with the built in steam wand. I got it for 50% off and it's paid for itself at least 4 times over compared to local coffee shops. I might upgrade one day, but for now we are just drinking master collection and shit. I make lattes, frapps, iced brews, whatever it's fucking great.

Looks like the price went up actually. I paid $200.

it's a shame that manufacturers want to keep the nespresso as an upscale drink.

theres absolutely no reason why you cannot make a no frills nespresso for 99$ or less, but they want to keep it at $200 (the bare min for entry) to seem posh, when the original capsuals (and off brands) cost as much as kuregs, you'd get such better coffee

ppl inevitably buy a nespresso once they find out their kurig is shit and no one is gonna "gift" you a nespresso unless it's like a close family member or wedding registry

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
We use our Nespresso often, but less so now that we cold brew so much. It's super convenient though and the quality is miles ahead of any Keurig I've used.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Yeah, the upgrade is seriously mind blowing. I would grab whatever machine you can and drink the fuck out of it.

Around here, for anything comparable, you are paying like $8 for a latte at a coffee shop. This lowers that to 70 cents plus milk. So take your $7.30 a cup savings (so my wife and I would be almost $15 a trip) and you can start to see how it can justify itself. That would be like $5k a year lol, but we weren't drinking coffee every day either (we do now since we have it).

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So my Lavazza coffee is creeping up in price again and has been for a few years so I'm thinking about switching. Does anyone else drink stuff like like better? I've moved among the Super Crema Espresso, Gran Espresso, and Espresso Italiano. I think Lanx linked Cafe Don Pablo earlier in the thread, but I am lazy and want post-pandemic suggestions. I also have both a Sam's and a Costco near me, so bonus points if I can get anything good from those stores.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Don Pablo is still my go to, and Costco here carries it cheaper than I can order it on Amazon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i have these on assorted subscribe and save
b6e626359fa95056609742af2302215b.png

my wife prefers don francisco now cuz of the kona and vanilla blends

the lavazzas i get cuz they always have a sale on em for subscribe and save, 10bucks for a 2lb, just remember to cancel next month, imo put an alert on slickdeals for lavazza and you'll get 1 deal a month

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

woot!

Trakanon Raider
Just upgraded from an automatic (Krups Essential) to a semi-automatic (Breville Barista Express), and I am quite amazed by the quality of espresso it can pull.
I had never realized how important the quality of the grind is and how much of a difference it makes ; and that's just with the "entry level" incorporated grinder.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just upgraded from an automatic (Krups Essential) to a semi-automatic (Breville Barista Express), and I am quite amazed by the quality of espresso it can pull.
I had never realized how important the quality of the grind is and how much of a difference it makes ; and that's just with the "entry level" incorporated grinder.
ppl can be so inside baseball, that they'll buy 200 replacement burrs for a 300$ grinder
6b942a5a81b2a661da78e052e3712463.png

bolok

Trakanon Raider
ppl can be so inside baseball, that they'll buy 200 replacement burrs for a 300$ grinder
6b942a5a81b2a661da78e052e3712463.png
WTF. Not to belittle every other type of coffee- but just about the only reason to spend $$$ on grinders is for espresso. 200 for replacement burrs for drip? Thats quite the scam.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
WTF. Not to belittle every other type of coffee- but just about the only reason to spend $$$ on grinders is for espresso. 200 for replacement burrs for drip? Thats quite the scam.
i haven't checked out the ode in a while, but if i remember, the burrs that it came with are more interlocking burrs than flat burrs and if you wanted to get even finer than stock, you need to get the ssp burrs

of course then youre asking, if i need to go that fine, then why don't i just goto a more espresso centric grinder?

in the end, it is the "cheapest" zero retention vertical grinder and it looks "beautiful"
ed9ab42d61b1349f544139484a9e8d1f.png

if i didn't see so much buyers remorse (little naggy things) i woulda gotten one (their new v2 stock has updated burrs that are true flat)